Controversial View - footwear

jo.pickering

Aug. 5, 2011, 4:46 a.m. (Message 61638)

Has anybody considered dancing not wearing so-called gillie (?ghillie,
?gille) pumps or similar soft flat shoe.

My understanding is that traditionally these were only worn for solo
competition or display dancing and that country dancers wore ordinary
shoes.

Nobody wants people spiked with stillettos but on the other hand shoes
without heels play havoc with your arches and virtually force you to
dance on the toes all the time, which is a bit hard going for the not
so young.

I can actually dance quite happily on my toes and enjoy doing it, but
I feel a bit sorry for some folks hobbling about in shoes which I'm
sure they feel obliged to wear, but are doing them no favours.

Jo
Sent using BlackBerry® from Orange
Patricia Ruggiero

Patricia Ruggiero

Aug. 5, 2011, 5:25 a.m. (Message 61640, in reply to message 61638)

Jo wrote:

> Has anybody considered dancing not wearing so-called gillie (?ghillie,
> ?gille) pumps or similar soft flat shoe.

Yes, I have tried other types of soft-soled shoes, but was not satisfied
with them because of either weight/heaviness of the entire shoe or a sole
that gripped the floor, both leading to early and excessive fatigue.  Not
getting a good toe point was displeasing, but not decisive in my abandoning
them.

I've not worn ghillies for many years.  I prefer the Capezio "jazz" shoe.
The latter doesn't seem that much more substantial than ghillies, but
somehow it feels better on my feet.  Maybe it's that slight, low heel that
makes the difference.  I wear them for both SCD and ECD.

Now that I think of it, there was one shoe, made by Rockport about 25 years
ago, that was just right for contra, ECD, and SCD.  Trim, shaped like a
ballet slipper, but with a soft (composite?) sole, arch support, and a
strap. One could get a decent toe point in them.   Suede.  Lightweight, but
with just enough cushioning for the harder floors.  The company stopped
making them in the late 80s.  I bought several at a close-out sale, but they
are all gone now.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia
USA
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Aug. 5, 2011, 9:43 a.m. (Message 61643, in reply to message 61638)

jo.pickering wrote:

> Has anybody considered dancing not wearing so-called gillie (?ghillie,
> ?gille) pumps or similar soft flat shoe.
>
> My understanding is that traditionally these were only worn for solo
> competition or display dancing and that country dancers wore ordinary
> shoes.

Jo, I don't think this is a controversial view at all. Try again :^)

During a period of Achilles tendon trouble, I have had good experiences with
»jazz« shoes that are soft yet have a (low) heel. I would recommend people who
are unhappy with ghillies/flat shoes visit a ballet supply shop, where there
is usually a wide selection of all sorts of shoes that are, in my opinion,
suitable for SCD.

»Ordinary shoes« are, unfortunately, out of the question at least in our club
in Frankfurt as we are dancing in a school gymnasium where anything other than
dedicated, i.e., not also worn in the street, sports-type shoes are Officially
Forbidden by the owner of the premises (the city of Frankfurt).

> I can actually dance quite happily on my toes and enjoy doing it, but I
> feel a bit sorry for some folks hobbling about in shoes which I'm sure
> they feel obliged to wear, but are doing them no favours.

In my opinion, no one should »feel obliged« to wear shoes that cause them
discomfort or even pain. After all, SCD is supposed to be an enjoyable
activity.

In the spirit of sprucing up the Strathspey web site, why don't we start a
footwear gallery? If people have had favourable experiences with shoes other
than ghillies or ballet pumps for SCD, do send me a photograph and a short
explanation and I'll make up a page so others can see what is out there.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
In fact, the notion that any ancient book could be an infallible guide to

Pia Walker

Aug. 5, 2011, 9:58 a.m. (Message 61645, in reply to message 61643)

Anselm - should that be pics of shoes 'as new' or 'I have worn these for
some time' LOL

Pia
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Aug. 5, 2011, 10:02 a.m. (Message 61646, in reply to message 61645)

Pia wrote:

> Anselm - should that be pics of shoes 'as new' or 'I have worn these for
> some time' LOL

I suppose if one can still recognise that it is a shoe we should be fine ;^)
Maybe we'll get several pictures of the same sort of shoe at various stages of
decay and we can have a before-after set of images.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Pia Walker

Aug. 5, 2011, 9:56 a.m. (Message 61644, in reply to message 61638)

I use a Jazz shoe - it has split sole, and a small unobtrusive heel - it is
a little bit more clunky than a pump, but the way it is built, supports my
instep better.  For dems I use what the team demands, but for class work and
at dances, I use what I feel best in.

Pia
Cord Walter

Cord Walter

Aug. 5, 2011, 10:59 a.m. (Message 61647, in reply to message 61638)

Am 05.08.2011 04:46, schrieb jo.pickering:
> Has anybody considered dancing not wearing so-called gillie
> (?ghillie, ?gille) pumps or similar soft flat shoe.

Interesting idea. I started dancing with the softest shoe I had at that
time (ordinary shoe with flexible leather sole and little heel) but this
didn't work that well & felt clumsy (the extra weight of a normal shoe
compared with a ghillie is quite hindering for SCD, I  discovered).

So with these kind of shoe out of the picture I wonder how much
alternatives there actially are... I doubt that I will ever see a dancer
in something like this:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/jaya.aspx?gender=W

but who knows ;)

> I can actually dance quite happily on my toes and enjoy doing it, but
> I feel a bit sorry for some folks hobbling about in shoes which I'm
> sure they feel obliged to wear, but are doing them no favours.

Good point as this mitgh be reason for some people to quit dancing. If I
would feel uncomfortably in ghillies it would certainly damp my
enthusiasm for dancing...

Personally I prefer shoes with thin flexible soles not only for dancing
but also in everyday use (since going barefoot is not likely to go back
in style soon ;) ) - but as far as I know not every foot agrees with the
lack of support these shoes provide...

Cord

--
Cord Walter
email: xxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx

2.5.03.02.005: Generally speaking, if you twiddle with something, it
will break. Don't.

Weil es niemanden etwas angeht, dass ich nichts zu verbergen habe:
http://www.gnupg.org/
http://www.truecrypt.org/
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Aug. 5, 2011, 11:35 a.m. (Message 61648, in reply to message 61647)

Cord Walter wrote:

> I doubt that I will ever see a dancer
> in something like this:
>
> http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/jaya.aspx?gender=W
>
> but who knows ;)

They have models for indoor sports which look as if they might work for SCD,
but I suspect the rubber soles could be a problem.

We used to let people wear indoor sneakers during their first weeks in our
group, but we have started recommending against this since we had a spate of
injuries that could be linked to the way their plastic soles tend to stick to
the floor. These days we try to get people to buy leather-sole gym or ballet
shoes ASAP, which isn't a big investment even if they at some point decide to
shell out for ghillies.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz/Mayence, Germany ................. xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
It's as if _The Da Vinci Code_ had been written by someone who wasn't an

Patty Lindsay

Aug. 5, 2011, 8:54 p.m. (Message 61675, in reply to message 61648)

I too have experienced my very new dancers getting injured while dancing in
sneakers due to the shoes gripping the floor.

I now order a supply of these shoes when I am about to start a new
beginner's class:
http://www.discountdance.com/dancewear/style_FREE1.html

They are sold in small, medium, and large (the flexible sizing makes it
feasible to order a stock ahead of time) and fit most women, and smaller
men. They are light, have a split sole, and they do well on slippery floors
but don't stick on less-slippery floors.  I let them try them for a week or
two, most end up buying a pair from me (at cost).  The selection of shoes
available in local stores is not great, so by making an inexpensive pair of
shoes readily available they are more likely to dance in something more
appropriate than sneakers.

--
Patty Lindsay
Beavercreek, Ohio

Martin Campoveja

Aug. 5, 2011, 3:39 p.m. (Message 61652, in reply to message 61647)

2011/8/5 Cord Walter <xxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx>

>  If I
> would feel uncomfortably in ghillies it would certainly damp my enthusiasm
> for dancing...

I came to feel very uncomfortable in ghillies and gave them up many years
ago (too tight, no elasticity, especially when "reinforced" with plastic).

> ... going barefoot is not likely to go back
> in style soon ...

Style is what you feel comfortable with; if you want to follow other
people's ideas, don 't complain if it hurts (smile!).

Someone suggest photos of our favorite footwear. My feet have often been
filmed and photoed, but I'm not sure I have any pictures myself, so a verbal
description will have to do.
I can dance comfortably only in bare feet (or sock-covered feet, when it's
too cold, or if I want to look like everyone else).
No "support" (whatever that may be), as nature intended.

No need to start any discussion; it's all in the archives.

Martin
Susi Mayr

Susi Mayr

Aug. 5, 2011, 12:06 p.m. (Message 61649, in reply to message 61638)

On the subject of footwear for Scottish Country Dancing, you may find
Bill Clement's contribution to the Kaleidoscope conference of
interest. It is available online (courtesy of Anselm and the
Strathspey server) at:
http://scdkaleidoscope1.strathspey.org/videos/05-bill-clement

Susi

Susi Mayr
Vienna (Austria) & Kent (England)

[...]

Aug. 5, 2011, 3:41 p.m. (Message 61653, in reply to message 61638)

PS : I intended to add that nothing, even ghillies, could dampen my
enthusiasm for SCD.

Martin

2011/8/5 Cord Walter <xxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx>
Lmae

Lmae

Aug. 5, 2011, 5:11 p.m. (Message 61662, in reply to message 61638)

I have Morton's neuroma, and must have a hard surface under the ball of my
foot and my toes or the shooting pains through my toes are debilitating.
I found these not-so-clunky dance sneakers --
http://www.amazon.com/Sansha-S30LC-Dynamo-Dance-Sneaker/dp/B003VWCFU2
They're great, and come in several colors, which I like.
They have a split sole, so I can still point my foot, and a slight heel.
I like them very much.

BTW, the neuroma was caused by wearing tights with lycra that squeezed my
toes together (probably wearing these 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week, over a
period of about 10 years or so with only about a 2 month summer break). I
wear toe-less tights now, and it has helped some, but nerve damage, I
understand, is permanent.
Linda Mae
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

Aug. 5, 2011, 5:29 p.m. (Message 61664, in reply to message 61662)

My wife is using a pair of Bloch split-sole jazz sneakers that look very
much like these while all her "regular" dance ghillies are at the shoe shop.
 She reports they worked very well at class last night.

I've been dealing with plantar fasciitis for a couple years now and usually
wear an oversized set of ghillies that can accommodate my orthotics, but
that's not optimal for pointing.  I've been looking at alternative footwear
for dancing so am very interested in this discussion myself. -Steve
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Aug. 5, 2011, 5:54 p.m. (Message 61666, in reply to message 61662)

Ahh Ibuprofen Gel - works wonders :>) And try fishnet tights - great give
and air.

Wearing either dance pumps 1-2 sizes too small for me, en pointe ballet
shoes from too early an age and ball room shoes with high heel every day for
12 years.

Now don't give a hoot what I wear as long as I am comfortable - although
when I call/dance ceilidh I usually wear high-heeled ball room shoes (and
Ibuprofen gel) :>)

Pia
Mike Briggs

Mike Briggs

Aug. 5, 2011, 6:05 p.m. (Message 61671, in reply to message 61666)

For some mysterious reason, ibuprofen gel is not sold in the US.  I
did an internet order for a couple tubes from a pharmacy in Thunder
Bay, ON, though, and I agree with Pia that's it's a wonder-drug (I was
going to say panacea, but it's useless for myopia).

Mike Briggs

1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI  53575-2521  USA
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Aug. 5, 2011, 6:22 p.m. (Message 61672, in reply to message 61671)

It is anti-inflammatory and a pain relief and instead of taking it
internally it is rubbed on - if I know I'm going to strain my feet
unreasonably, I'll put it on before the event - it means no pain during or
after (I have had arthritis in my big toe joint and bunions since I was 20).

In case of strains etc, where not feeling the pain can cause a worsening of
the damage, I put it on at night, where the anti-inflammatories will work,
but where I'm not putting a strain on the injury by moving too much.

Of course you have to read the instructions so as not to take it if you have
an underlying health condition.

PIa
Bruce Herbold

Bruce Herbold

Aug. 5, 2011, 7:02 p.m. (Message 61673, in reply to message 61671)

you tried it for myopia or just making wild assumptions?

Bruce

--
Bruce Herbold
Susan McKinnell

Susan McKinnell

Aug. 5, 2011, 6:01 p.m. (Message 61670, in reply to message 61662)

I love the idea of information on dancing shoes.  My problem is that I
have very wide (and long) feet.  It is virtually impossible to find
shoes that fit.  When Senior's made shoes to order, I could order them
there, but the new cobbler does not provide this service.  (My feet are
US ladies 10 WW for reference).  So, does anyone know where one can
purchase dancing shoes in very wide sizes?
Sue in Chicago, USA
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

Aug. 6, 2011, 3:32 a.m. (Message 61685, in reply to message 61670)

I am disappointed to learn that Seniors will not make custom shoes now.

Fortunately, I have enough to last a while and I tend not to wear out
my pumps that quickly.

However, it could be a problem in the future.

I was spoilt by the late Len Smith (a dancer and shoe maker here in
New Zealand). He would always make my pumps to measure.

Rhoda Tanner devised a very nice and relatively simple dance for Len -
"Our Dancing Soutar" in "The Kauri Collection". It is well worth
trying.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404
Wellington 6142
New Zealand
Denise Smith

Denise Smith

Aug. 6, 2011, 4:08 a.m. (Message 61688, in reply to message 61685)

--
Denise Smith
76 Celandine St

Mary Quinton

Aug. 6, 2011, 7:01 p.m. (Message 61700, in reply to message 61670)

Sue, I sympathise,
I also have shoe problems but I have a long narrow foot.
However, if you look at the following website they do quite a range of
dance shoes including jazz shoes in your size, and men's ballet shoes which
also come in large sizes.
http://www.movedancewear.com/cat/dance_shoes_jazz_shoes/21_115/
Mary Quinton
UK
Susan McKinnell

Susan McKinnell

Aug. 6, 2011, 8:29 p.m. (Message 61702, in reply to message 61700)

Thank you!  I will look at this site in hopes.  Sue
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Aug. 5, 2011, 5:57 p.m. (Message 61668, in reply to message 61638)

Bloch is great! Good support.  Good luck with the PF - stretching helps and
wearing 'flip flops' 'tongs' or whatever else you call them (sandals with
separation between big toes and other toes, seem to help me.

Pia
Kate Walker

Kate Walker

Aug. 5, 2011, 5:59 p.m. (Message 61669, in reply to message 61638)

I also use jazz sneakers at times, as they provide a fair amount of
arch support.  I'll use ghillies when I need a good point, or when I'm
at an event where looks matter (ball or demo).  Personally, I think
people should wear whatever dance shoe suits their needs, especially
if there are any health/comfort issues.  BUT some types of shoes do
promote better footwork among those of us who are basically healthy in
the legs.  Ballet slippers, ghillies and jazz shoes (the kind with the
tiny bit of heel) seem to work equally well in the kid's classes I
teach - I probably wouldn't allow a heavier shoe (even a dance
sneaker) unless medically necessary.

Isn't dancing in bare feet kind of unhygienic?  Again, "my" kids like
it but I insist on shoes for any dancing at socials and balls.

Cheers,
Kate Walker
Austin TX
Mike Briggs

Mike Briggs

Aug. 5, 2011, 7:16 p.m. (Message 61674, in reply to message 61638)

I actually put it on a sore knee but it did s**t for my near-sightedness.  :>)

Mike

1519 Storytown Road
Oregon WI  53575-2521  USA
+1 608 835 0914 (o)
+1 608 770 2304 (m)
+1 608 237 2379 (f)
Colleen Putt

Colleen Putt

Aug. 5, 2011, 9:20 p.m. (Message 61676, in reply to message 61638)

These 'Sleekers' have become very popular here. The shoes provide good
foot support since they fit so snugly, good traction on slippery
floors, and have enough 'lacing' that they resemble ghillies. And
they're relatively cheap.
Cheers,
Colleen Putt
Bedford, Nova Scotia

Quoting Patty Lindsay <xxxxx.xxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>:
Monica Pollard

Monica Pollard

Aug. 7, 2011, 10:50 p.m. (Message 61704, in reply to message 61676)

This has been one of the most helpful threads on Strathspey in a long
time!  Thanks, all, for some great recommendations.

I've been dealing with PF since TAC summer school last August.  I
stopped wearing ghillies about three years ago, as they hurt my
bunions too much by scrunching my toes together.  I've been wearing
spenco pads in ballet slippers, which is definitley more comfortable.
But now the Plantar Fasciitis has made it very difficult to stand for
long periods of time in thin shoes during dance classes.  Even though
I start out feeling ok, by the end of two hours it hurts a lot.
Especially when I'm teaching and don't get to dance much.

Perhaps one of these dance shoes will help.

Monica Pollard
Denise Smith

Denise Smith

Aug. 6, 2011, 4:06 a.m. (Message 61687, in reply to message 61638)

I've had the big toe joint in my left foot removed, the toe is now held
together with two steel pins. I also need to have the same joint in my right
foot removed - but am waiting until after this year's NZ Summer School!!!
Meanwhile, the pain is pretty bad. I've been wearing the Bloch 'Slipstream'
for about 3 years now and find them very supportive and comfortable. I have
had soft orthotics made to fit in them (expensive but essential). See them
here:
http://www.movedancewear.com/dance_shoes-bloch_slipstream_jazz_shoe/74/
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Aug. 8, 2011, 12:21 a.m. (Message 61705, in reply to message 61638)

When I get an attack of PF, I do a lot of stretching during the day -
standing an arm lengths from the wall and then with my legs stretched lean
towards said wall. Or standing with one leg in front of the other, bend the
front leg and keeping the other stretched - I do this continually during the
day.  I also massage my feet using a ball - a golf or baseball does the
trick.  Plus I ensure my metatarsals gets pushed back into place as they
tend to take the strain when the heel is sore.

Pia
Lara Friedman-Shedlov

Lara Friedman-Shedlov

Aug. 17, 2011, 3:50 p.m. (Message 61740, in reply to message 61705)

I'm coming late to this discussion, but thought I'd chime in, since I
haven't seen what I wear mentioned yet in this thread.

The Capezio "Dansleekers" have been recommended already, but I really like a
different model from the one that was previously mentioned (that one is
called "Freedom").  I really like the one called "Nimbus."
http://www.onstagedancewear.com/PD-4053.aspx
Like the "Freedom," they have a vaguely ghillie-like look, with the laces
criss-crossing up the foot, and they have a relatively hard plastic/rubber
split sole.  It is not too grippy, but provide just a bit of traction on
very slippery floors.  This model is more expensive than the "Freedom," but
it is also more substantial.  I've got two pairs which I've been using
heavily now for about 3-4 years and they are still going strong, though they
are starting to show some wear.

See also my previous post about these shoes on Strathspey:
http://www.strathspey.org/list/strathspey/archive/msg/48813/

/ Lara

*****************************
Lara Friedman~Shedlov
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx

*****************************
Monica Pollard

Monica Pollard

Aug. 18, 2011, 1:14 a.m. (Message 61743, in reply to message 61638)

that one seems to have more of a squared-edge to the heel.  Have you
found that to be a problem?

Monica
Lara Friedman-Shedlov

Lara Friedman-Shedlov

Aug. 22, 2011, 8:39 p.m. (Message 61748, in reply to message 61638)

Nope. Actually the back edge of the heel is kind of rounded, so I find I
bruise myself much less with these shoes than with some other jazz shoes
I've tried over the years.

Lara Friedman~Shedlov