Patricia Ruggiero

RE: Controversial View - footwear

Aug. 5, 2011, 5:25 a.m. (Message 61640, in reply to message 61638)

Jo wrote:

> Has anybody considered dancing not wearing so-called gillie (?ghillie,
> ?gille) pumps or similar soft flat shoe.

Yes, I have tried other types of soft-soled shoes, but was not satisfied
with them because of either weight/heaviness of the entire shoe or a sole
that gripped the floor, both leading to early and excessive fatigue.  Not
getting a good toe point was displeasing, but not decisive in my abandoning
them.

I've not worn ghillies for many years.  I prefer the Capezio "jazz" shoe.
The latter doesn't seem that much more substantial than ghillies, but
somehow it feels better on my feet.  Maybe it's that slight, low heel that
makes the difference.  I wear them for both SCD and ECD.

Now that I think of it, there was one shoe, made by Rockport about 25 years
ago, that was just right for contra, ECD, and SCD.  Trim, shaped like a
ballet slipper, but with a soft (composite?) sole, arch support, and a
strap. One could get a decent toe point in them.   Suede.  Lightweight, but
with just enough cushioning for the harder floors.  The company stopped
making them in the late 80s.  I bought several at a close-out sale, but they
are all gone now.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia
USA