No more sword dances?

Fiona Grant

June 2, 2008, 10:48 p.m. (Message 52611)

Hello to all, but especially British citizens,

The proposed UK Violent Crimes Reduction Bill may be admirable in many ways,
but as it stands the purchase and use of swords in traditional dances may be
banned. Such dances in the British Isles since as far back as 1700s have
been known to use props such as sticks and swords as an essential part of
the dance.

Currently, the government does not recognize dance as either a Historical
re-enactment or sporting activity and therefore dancers are not included
within the exemption for the purchase and use of swords with regards to the
VCR bill. These dances are forms of art that are of great historical and
cultural relevance. Banning the purchase and use of these swords is to my
mind completely ridiculous, as I know of no occasion when such swords have
been used in violent crime.

If you are resident in the UK, please have a look at this petition to the
Prime Minister on the Downing Street website.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/dancers

Highland dances just will not look the same without swords, and where will
the Morris men be without their sticks to whack. If Gordon Brown owns up to
his Scottish heritage, we might hope he won’t deprive us of using real
swords to dance over, but I would not put money on it. Please sign the
petition if you are a British resident, or an ex-pat in an overseas
territory. And please pass on the news to any members of your dance groups.

On with the dance,
Fiona
Bristol
UK
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

June 3, 2008, 12:02 a.m. (Message 52616, in reply to message 52611)

Fiona Grant wrote:

> Banning the purchase and use of these swords is to my
> mind completely ridiculous, as I know of no occasion when such swords have
> been used in violent crime.

This misses the point somewhat, I think. The point is not »doing something
about the vast numbers of murders etc. being committed using highland
dancers' (dull) swords«. The point, on the politicians' part, »is being
perceived to do something dramatic for the public good«, even if the public
good doesn't really care one way or the other. Fortunately (from the point of
view of the proposing party), nobody can really be against the new law in
principle as that would be tantamount to condoning »sword crime«. Any
objections on the part of the parliamentary opposition would have to be on
the grounds of the bill not being far-reaching enough (it should, for
example, also ban kitchen knives -- another ingredient to violent crime if
there ever was one) or various technicalities of no real consequence (like
whether dancing counts as a sport where swords should still be allowed, or
not).

Anyway, never mind swords for the moment, but is HM Government really planning
to outlaw sticks? Any sticks at all? Exactly what must a stick look like
and/or be made of to perhaps still be permissible? What about canes or
crutches? Broom handles? Tent poles? Fence posts? Railway ties? Toothpicks?
Cheese straws?

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Stop trying to protect me from myself. [...] Plastic knives are for picnics.

James Mungall

June 3, 2008, 12:16 a.m. (Message 52618, in reply to message 52616)

This is rather ridiculous--but it is the way government works.  I
suppose all heavy blunt objects should be banned while we're at it.
I've never heard of a highland dancer going ballistic with a sword
after poor marks.  I have heard of "kilt divers" however during Mardi
Gras parades who will often attempt to swipe sgian dubhs from pipers'
kilt hose--know someone who had their hand sliced open that way.  It's
the little blades that are the real danger, not big swords--they've
been watching too much "Highlander."

Thanks for giving me another reason why I'm grateful to live this side
of the pond.  No offense intended.

James Mungall
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

June 3, 2008, 12:21 a.m. (Message 52619, in reply to message 52616)

Like someone who attacks you with a pointed stick?
or
How to defend yourself against a man armed with a banana.  :-)

Somehow the crossed bananas dance just doesn't cut it.

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

June 3, 2008, 1:33 a.m. (Message 52622, in reply to message 52619)

Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:

> Somehow the crossed bananas dance just doesn't cut it.

That reminds me of the story when a team from, I think, New Scotland went to
France and used a pair of the local »baguettes« for the Breadsword Dance.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Java taught the world that you can sell literal piles of feces to Fortune 500

John Chambers

June 3, 2008, 1:55 p.m. (Message 52645, in reply to message 52619)

Anselm wrote:
| Thomas G. Mungall, III wrote:
| > Somehow the crossed bananas dance just doesn't cut it.
|
| That reminds me of the story when a team from, I think, New Scotland went to
| France and used a pair of the local =BBbaguettes=AB for the Breadsword Dance.

For some years, I've been playing for a Rapper team that has a bit of
humor that they do for gatherings of Morris/Sword dancers.  When it's
their turn, they rush on all in a panic because they can't find their
swords.   After the usual chaotic everyone-talk-at-once bit, they get
an idea, and borrow hankies from  onlookers.   I  start  playing  the
Winster  Processional,  they process on, I switch to the same tune in
fast jig time, and they start doing Rapper their dance the hankies as
swords. It's pretty funny. Finally, they make a "knot", one guy holds
it up and looks disgustedly at the tangled mess of cloth, and someone
rushes  out  with  the  swords.   We  don't do this dance for general
audiences, as it  wouldn't  mean  much  to  non-dancers,  but  Morris
dancers often request the dance.

I do wonder whether the Rapper swords would qualify for  the  purpose
of  the proposed law.  These are "swords" only in the sense that they
are thin steel blades.  It's actually spring steel,  of  course,  and
these swords have never been weapons. They were developed as scraping
and shaping tools around 1800, when  flexible  steel  was  developed.
I've  used  some  very similar tools for smoothing curved surfaces of
furniture and boats.  It would be difficult to  inflict  any  serious
injuries  on anyone with one of these swords, though you could make a
sort of "road burn". The dancers do occasionally get small scrapes or
even cuts.

But we're living in an  age  when  the  airline  security  folks  ban
dangerous  weapons like nail clippers and toothpaste tubes.  I've had
this image of terrorists breaking into the cabin and forcibly  giving
the  pilot  a manicure, which brings the plane down when the pilot is
unable to reach the controls  due  to  the  terrorists'  work  on  an
especially  difficult cuticle problem.  If Monty Python were still on
the job, I supposed they'd have done a skit like this.

--
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Cord Walter

Cord Walter

June 3, 2008, 4:22 p.m. (Message 52646, in reply to message 52645)

John Chambers wrote:
<snip>
> But we're living in an  age  when  the  airline  security  folks  ban
> dangerous  weapons like nail clippers and toothpaste tubes.

or giant cartoon robots on t-shirts:
http://gizmodo.com/394544/optimus-prime-t+shirt-transforms-into-arrest-threat-at-airport

This isn't even paranoia anymore, I think we have arrived at idiocy...

-cord
--
Cord Walter
email: xxxx.xxxxxx@xxx.xx

Weil es niemanden etwas angeht, dass ich nichts zu verbergen habe:
http://www.gnupg.org/
http://www.truecrypt.org/
John Chambers

John Chambers

June 3, 2008, 3:08 p.m. (Message 52651, in reply to message 52645)

Cord Walter wrote:
| John Chambers wrote:
| <snip>
| > But we're living in an  age  when  the  airline  security  folks  ban
| > dangerous  weapons like nail clippers and toothpaste tubes.
|
| or giant cartoon robots on t-shirts:
| http://gizmodo.com/394544/optimus-prime-t+shirt-transforms-into-arrest-threat-at-airport
|
| This isn't even paranoia anymore, I think we have arrived at idiocy...

Yeah; here in the Boston area we got a lot of laughs from that one.

Actually, the security folks have a phrase  for  it.   They  call  it
Security  Theater  (or  Theatre  in  the UK ;-).  This refers to fake
security  measures  with  the  purpose  of  impressing  the   general
population  that  Something  Is  Being  Done, while not providing any
actual effective security.

--
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Lara Friedman-Shedlov

Lara Friedman-Shedlov

June 3, 2008, 7:01 p.m. (Message 52655, in reply to message 52651)

Yes!  This is why my rapper sword team decided at the outset, only half
jokingly, to always refer to the "swords" as "flexible metal dance
implements" or FMDIs.

:-)

Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Andrew C Aitchison

Andrew C Aitchison

June 3, 2008, 8:34 a.m. (Message 52629, in reply to message 52616)

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008, Anselm Lingnau wrote:

> Fiona Grant wrote:
>
>> Banning the purchase and use of these swords is to my
>> mind completely ridiculous, as I know of no occasion when such swords have
>> been used in violent crime.
>
> This misses the point somewhat, I think. The point is not "doing something
> about the vast numbers of murders etc. being committed using highland
> dancers' (dull) swords". The point, on the politicians' part, is "being
> perceived to do something dramatic for the public good", even if the public
> good doesn't really care one way or the other.

The proposed ban has exemptions under two categories: "HEALTH/FITNESS/SPORT"
and "HISTORICAL PRESERVATION" but dancing doesn't appear under either
category. The petition isn't to block the bill but to add dance to the
existing list of exemptions.

--
Andrew C. Aitchison					Cambridge, UK
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

June 3, 2008, 9:48 a.m. (Message 52630, in reply to message 52629)

Andrew C Aitchison wrote:

> The proposed ban has exemptions under two categories:
> "HEALTH/FITNESS/SPORT" and "HISTORICAL PRESERVATION" but dancing doesn't
> appear under either category. The petition isn't to block the bill but to
> add dance to the existing list of exemptions.

Makes sense to me (»If you can't beat 'em, join 'em«). Somebody should show
the MPs a video of a bunch of little girls doing the Ghillie Callum at the
highland games. If that isn't »health/fitness/sport« then what is? -- and
crime statistics ought to show that they're unlikely to go off with their
swords afterwards and hold up a candy shop.

I still think they should also ban kitchen knives. There must be at least a
hundred kitchen knife assaults to every sword assault in the UK -- for the
last century or so --, so if they're really serious about violent crime that
should make a much bigger difference.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
This young lady has delusions of adequacy.

Pia Walker

June 3, 2008, 9:55 a.m. (Message 52631, in reply to message 52630)

Good discussion, but does this law cover Scotland? Or just England and Wales ?

Pia
Sophie Rickebusch

Sophie Rickebusch

June 3, 2008, 10:53 a.m. (Message 52632, in reply to message 52616)

----- "Anselm Lingnau" <xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

> Stop trying to protect me from myself. [...] Plastic knives are for
> picnics.
> Surgery and the like require scalpels.                        -- Eric
> Herrmann

Another spookily relevant quote from Anselm's automatic quote-generator!

Sophie

--
Sophie Rickebusch
Edinburgh, UK

Bruce Herbold

June 3, 2008, 12:10 a.m. (Message 52617, in reply to message 52611)

Oh how delightful to hear of silly political posturing from other
countries!  I thought we had cornered the market.

Bruce Herbold
USA
Heather Clayton

Heather Clayton

June 3, 2008, 12:53 a.m. (Message 52621, in reply to message 52611)

How utterly ridiculous! It's really just a control issue. In Canada,
though there is much discussion about weapons bans, cultural
activities are very important. Of course, Scottish culture is never
appreciated quite enough...

   And in the end, we have to realize that people kill people; weapons
   don't kill people, any more than a spoon made King Henry VIII fat.

Heather
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

June 3, 2008, 7:23 a.m. (Message 52628, in reply to message 52611)

I believe that Sikhs use swords as part of their ceremonial/ritual
practices.
It will be interesting to see how they are treated.
The Scots may eventually be able to claim racial discrimination.
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.
Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

June 3, 2008, 11:12 p.m. (Message 52662, in reply to message 52628)

Sikhs also tuck special swords, which are really knives (Sikhs call it the
Kirpan) into their turbans. The blades range from 6" to 9" in length.

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Sophie Rickebusch

Sophie Rickebusch

June 3, 2008, 11:12 a.m. (Message 52633, in reply to message 52611)

----- "Pia" <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

> Good discussion, but does this law cover Scotland? Or just England and
> Wales ?

Does it matter? There are plenty of Highland dancers throughout the
British isles, I don't see why any of them should be banned from
practising their favourite activity. However, I agree it would be
better if these petitions contained a link to the proposed law or
whatever, so that people could get all the information.

Sophie

--
Sophie Rickebusch
Edinburgh, UK

mlamontbrown

June 3, 2008, 11:19 a.m. (Message 52634, in reply to message 52611)

A good point - I have just Googled "Violent Crimes Reduction Bill", and all I can
find is something dated 2006.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York  (UK)

Of
> Sophie Rickebusch
> Sent: 03 June 2008 10:13
> To: SCD news and discussion
> Subject: Re: No more sword dances?
>
> ----- "Pia" <xxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
>
> > Good discussion, but does this law cover Scotland? Or just England and
> > Wales ?
> >

> Does it matter? There are plenty of Highland dancers throughout the British isles,
I don't see
> why any of them should be banned from practising their favourite activity. However,
I agree it
> would be better if these petitions contained a link to the proposed law or
whatever, so that
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

June 3, 2008, 1:47 p.m. (Message 52636, in reply to message 52611)

Well it matters in a legal argument - up here in Scotland I would
argue that it is a human right to be allowed to execute an ethnic and
indigenous tradition without dilution - the same argument cannot be
used in the rest of UK (well for Morris dancers it could) - so one
would have to find another argument for participants of a foreign art
form there.   There should be plenty of legal examples of this
however, for example - how did Sikhs win the right to wear turbans
instead of crash helmets in the 70's - what was their argument - can
it be adapted?

I would also ask the English Arts Council and Dance UK what they propose to do about this.

Pia
Bob McArthur

Bob McArthur

June 3, 2008, 2:21 p.m. (Message 52637, in reply to message 52636)

One has to look closely at what traditions are under threat - if
Morris dancers have to dispose of their sticks to comply with the
proposed law what exemption has been applied to allow Black Rod to
summons the House of Commons to the House of Lords in such an
aggressive manner?

Why should the civic elite be allowed to wear ceremonial swords when
traditional dancers would be banned from performing?

There have been far more vicious assualts with riding crops and whips
in hunting ban confrontations but I do not see a ban on carrying them.

Even the dance teacher carrying a radio mic could be said to be
holding an offensive weapon ie a cudgel when approaching a set of
dancers.

A person working on a hedge with hedging shears from the public
pavement could be said to be in possession of an offensive weapon but
yet be equally prosecuted for not cutting back the hedge by the local
highways authority.

Bob McArthur
Christchurch, Dorset
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

June 3, 2008, 2:41 p.m. (Message 52640, in reply to message 52637)

And of course there are bus queues and ladies with umbrellas!!!! - I would
say ban the umbrella before the broad sword!!!! - Stiletto heels -
definitely a dangerous weapon on the right / wrong foot.    Not to speak of
backpacks and shoulder bags - now there's offensive weapons if you have ever
sat in a train or a bus being assaulted when people move down the aisle.   I
do want to keep my handbag though - I need some kind of defence.

We have a lovely expression in Denmark - to shoot sparrows with canons :>)
Do not pass these ideas on to the politicians in questions - they may just
think they are good ideas :>)

Seriously the problem is not the weapons in question, but that we are
bringing up a whole generation of people who have never know the kindness of
a loving touch - 20 years ago we started with wearing rubber gloves to deal
with children who hurt them selves - just in case they were infectious (thus
telling them that kids really are untouchables) - then nobody was allowed to
deal with children on a one-to-one basis in or out of schools - just in case
you were accused of something, (the child is a dangerous thing that cannot
be trusted).   We have stopped talking and remonstrating with children,
because we could be said to attack them - or they may attach us.  (So
whatever the kids do is ok - there's no one stopping them doing something
bad).   And we cannot bend down a hug a hurting child, just in case we are
accused of something (we are telling the child that we don't care about
them). The result is that we have a generation of children, who cannot
interact in a normal way with others - for whom kindness from strangers have
never been experienced - they only get attention when they are really bad -
so therefore.....

Oops another hobby horse - Don't get me started of the over protection of
children .....

Pia
The pen is mightier than the sword!!!!
Bob McArthur

Bob McArthur

June 3, 2008, 2:58 p.m. (Message 52642, in reply to message 52640)

What Bus Queues?

Here in Christchurch they have given us oldies the bus passes then the
local bus company withdrew the service!!!
Bob McArthur

Bob McArthur

June 3, 2008, 3:02 p.m. (Message 52643, in reply to message 52642)

Sorry meant to add  "Those oldies carrying walking sticks will also be
prosecuted"> From: xxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx.xx> To:
xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 13:58:59 +0100>
Subject: RE: No more sword dances?> > > What Bus Queues?> > Here in
Christchurch they have given us oldies the bus passes then the local
bus company withdrew the service!!!> > > > > > > From:
xxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx> To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008
13:41:41 +0100> Subject: RE: No more sword dances?> > And of course
[...]
pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> [mailto:strathspey-bounces-
pia=xxxxxxxx.xxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]On Behalf Of> Robert James Robertson
McArthur> Sent: 03 June 2008 13:22> To: SCD news and discussion>
Subject: RE: No more sword dances?> > > One has to look closely at
[...]
_________________________________________________________________>
Great deals on almost anything at eBay.co.uk. Search, bid, find and
win on eBay today!>
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000004ukm/direct/01/
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

June 4, 2008, 2:35 p.m. (Message 52679, in reply to message 52640)

Hi Pia,

> The pen is mightier than the sword!!!!

Careful - they'll ban pens!

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/

Privacy & Confidentiality Notice
This message and any attachments contain privileged and confidential
information that is intended solely for the person(s) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not an intended recipient you must not: read;
copy; distribute; discuss; take any action in or make any reliance
upon the contents of this message; nor open or read any attachment. If
you have received this message in error, please notify us as soon as
possible on the following telephone number and destroy this message
including any attachments. Thank you.
Wolfson Microelectronics plc
Tel: +44 (0)131 272 7000
Fax: +44 (0)131 272 7001
Web: www.wolfsonmicro.com

Registered in Scotland

Company number SC089839

Registered office:

Westfield House, 26 Westfield Road, Edinburgh, EH11 2QB, UK
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

June 3, 2008, 2:27 p.m. (Message 52638, in reply to message 52636)

Pia wrote:

> I would also ask the English Arts Council and Dance UK what they propose to
> do about this.

I would probably try to explain the omission of traditional dance through
Hanlon's Razor (»Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained
by stupidity«). When the average politician's junior staffer is asked to come
up with possible exemptions to add to the sword ban section of the crime
bill, sports and historic reenactment are the obvious no-brainers, but the
sword dance probably doesn't weigh that heavily on public-schooled City
yuppies' minds. It's likely not that they are actively out to hurt
traditional dancing, they just need a prod in the right direction, which is
probably what the petition is about.

(Actually, what they -- or, rather, their bosses -- *really* need is a whack
on the head with a dead fish or something for getting the silly ban started
in the first place. A swordfish would be appropriate. But that's neither here
nor there.)

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
One should never underestimate corporate unpredictability ­- or stupidity.

Sophie Rickebusch

June 3, 2008, 2:31 p.m. (Message 52639, in reply to message 52611)

The ethnic argument should also be valid in England and Wales. As far
as I know, there are more Scots living in England than in Scotland,
why should they not be allowed to practise their indigenous traditions
too? As for non-Scottish Highland dancers, well... just where would
you draw the line? Surely "foreign"-born children of Scottish parents
should be allowed access to their ancestors' culture? I can't see
anyone trying to enforce "You can only do the sword-dance if you have
at least one grand-parent born in Scotland", can you? Otherwise,
they'd probably have to ban non-Japanese people from practising any
kind of martial art which uses weapons (e.g. Kendo archery) and so
forth. Anyway, that's probably one argument in favour of getting an
exemption under "sport" rather than "ethnic tradition" - it would
include all the "Scottish at heart" dancers out there too :-)

Cheers,
Sophie
(currently wrestling with HM Revenue and Customs forms clearly not
made for Brits born abroad)

--
Sophie Rickebusch
Edinburgh, UK

Pia Walker

June 3, 2008, 2:46 p.m. (Message 52641, in reply to message 52611)

I was looking at it as the traditions following the country they were
from - not the people in it or away from it.  I.e this is a tradition
that is indigenous to this country therefore it should not be tampered
with.   Connecting it to people is another valid argument.

Re Customs forms - are you not just bringing in personal effects?

Pia
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

June 3, 2008, 3:45 p.m. (Message 52644, in reply to message 52611)

Here in Spain it is very difficult to own and possess a fire arm of any
kind. When I moved here, my contaner had three, pistol, rifle, and
antique rifle. Inherited, from father, through grand parents. I
qualified as an expert marksman in the service, and continued to shoot
with borrowed weapons for a shart time after leaving the service, got
bored with the company and quit.

When I moved here, my container, loaded in the U.S. was not only
inventoried, but mapped. As a result, when it arrived in Spain, the
easily found fire arms were confiscated, and unless I take action
making them legal, they will be auctioned off at the end of 10 years.
The antique rifle is fairly easy, if I ruin its value by drilling the
barrel, I can have it and mount it on the wall, but his is not my idea
of decoration, so would rather wait and get full value from its sale.
As for the other two, I can recover the one of my choice, if I join an
"Olympic" shooting team, pass a few tests, and the weapon of choice
will be turned over to the armorer of my club, to be used by me only on
site.

If the UK government is so afraid of the misuse of swords used in
sword dancing, I see no reason why they can not do the same thing,
respect tradition, and pretend* to keep the population safe from angry
highland dancers, roaming the streets armed with claymores.

Take those spectacular displays of arms in some historic castles.
Simply declare them armories where personal swords for are dancing are
deposited for safe keeping, and then only issued to authorized people
to be used at games. I am sure there is a similar process already in
place for the use of specific firearms in the U.K.
John Chambers

John Chambers

June 3, 2008, 2:27 p.m. (Message 52648, in reply to message 52611)

Pia commented:
| Well it matters in a legal argument - up here in Scotland I would argue tha=
| t it is a human right to be allowed to execute an ethnic and indigenous tra=
| dition without dilution - the same argument cannot be used in the rest of U=
| K (well for Morris dancers it could) - so one would have to find another ar=
| gument for participants of a foreign art form there.

Actually, the familiar Scottish sword dance, and also the longsword/Rapper
type sword dance, are really just part of a tradition that was once common
all over Europe, and still exists in lots of  areas.   I  recently  got  a
notice of another Sword Spectacular event this summer, in Whitby. I was at
the one in 2004, also in Whitby, and they had European teams from  as  far
away  as  Italy  (plus a few American teams).  It's interesting to see the
similarities and differences that developed in various areas.  It's fairly
obvious  that  they  are  all variants of the same ideas, probably because
people see each others' dances and steal ideas.  This has  been  going  on
probably  since  swords  were invented, and there's really no way to trace
the history of it all.

--
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

June 3, 2008, 4:37 p.m. (Message 52650, in reply to message 52648)

Well boys will be boys, wherever they are - it's logic - If you have won -
you jump up and down, flinging your arms above your head - if you have a
sword you must jump over and/or across it:>)  It doesn't really matter who
started it or not - it is making the traditions live on that is the
important thing.

Pia
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

June 3, 2008, 5:11 p.m. (Message 52652, in reply to message 52611)

I suppose we all ought to petition for officers in the armed services to be
deprived of their swords, if we do finish up being ignored. Furthermore
regiments marching through the streets should surely not be allowed to do so
with fixed bayonets?
Where does it stop?
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.
Mike Briggs

Mike Briggs

June 3, 2008, 6:33 p.m. (Message 52653, in reply to message 52611)

Reading this thread, my inner lawyer woke up, and I did a little cursory
research.  I can find nothing -- nada, zilch, rien -- about any
"proposed" UK Violent Crimes Bill anywhere, let alone any provision of
any such proposed legislation which would ban the sale of swords.  If
there are any criminal solicitors or advocates (lovely phrase) on
Strathspey, would one of them tell me where I might find the text of the
proposed bill?  Or, if anyone else has detailed knowledge, please
contact me.  Just curious.

Mike

--
   BRIGGS LAW OFFICE
Michael and Norma Briggs

suepetyt

June 3, 2008, 7:30 p.m. (Message 52657, in reply to message 52653)

Try

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmbills/010/2006010.htm

Happy Dancing
Sue Petyt
Skype - spetyt
www.suepetyt.me.uk
mlamontbrown

mlamontbrown

June 3, 2008, 8:29 p.m. (Message 52658, in reply to message 52657)

Yes, so it was introduced in 2005 and became law in 2006 --- I think it is a bit late
to worry about it now, especially as it doesn't seem to have had any effect on people
doing sword dancing.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York  (UK)

S. Keith Graham

S. Keith Graham

June 3, 2008, 10:27 p.m. (Message 52659, in reply to message 52653)

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Norma and Mike Briggs <xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
wrote:

> Reading this thread, my inner lawyer woke up, and I did a little cursory
> research.  I can find nothing -- nada, zilch, rien -- about any "proposed"
> UK Violent Crimes Bill anywhere, let alone any provision of any such
> proposed legislation which would ban the sale of swords.

The new change is:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2008/draft/ukdsi_9780110810324_en_1

Which adds "curved blades over 50cm"

This currently impacts other traditional dancers, such as belly dancers, who
use curved middle-eastern scimitars as part of their dancing, more than say
Highland dancers who use straight blades.

See also:

http://www.akct.org/page29.html  which mentions straight blades might be
included.

The goal here is to get dancing props, carried or to be used by dancers,
added to the specific list of exemptions.

Not that I expect to carry any highland dance swords to GB, N Ireland, or
Wales.

Keith Graham
xxx@xxxx.xxx
3_brandywine@tiscali.co.uk

3_brandywine@tiscali.co.uk

June 3, 2008, 11:27 p.m. (Message 52664, in reply to message 52611)

Fascinating - I tried to add my name to the petition but it would not
accept that my e-mail address was valid.  I've only had that happen
once before - when I tried to use the Leeds Branch shop.  Am I the only
person who has a numeral as the first character of the e-mail address
??

Ian McDonald
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

June 4, 2008, 12:23 a.m. (Message 52668, in reply to message 52611)

Thanks Graham, as mentioned in my post, this thread seems to have been
based on a misinterpretation of the actual situation, as Briggs and I
suspected. As there are exemptions, I am sure that the controlled
public display of swords for sword dancing is not endangered, nor is it
illegal to borrow someone else´s to practice. It is probably a good
thing to have some oversight reminders from an insurance company. I
myself have seen young kids playing Errol Flynn with swords between
competitions, at games, so someone besides a passive parent should have
some valid reason to encourage safety.

As with many laws, I suspect that this will not be aggressively
enforced, but should the local authorities see a potential problem it
is probably a good law to fall back on. Sort of the equivalent of the
fact that most traffic authorities are not particularly bothered if you
are exceeding the speed limit by less then 5mph in optimum conditions,
but rather quick to enforce the letter of the law when visibility is
zero.
S. Keith Graham

S. Keith Graham

June 4, 2008, 1:16 a.m. (Message 52671, in reply to message 52668)

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 6:23 PM, xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx <xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
wrote:

> Thanks Graham, as mentioned in my post, this thread seems to have been
> based on a misinterpretation of the actual situation, as Briggs and I
> suspected. As there are exemptions, I am sure that the controlled
> public display of swords for sword dancing is not endangered, nor is it
> illegal to borrow someone else´s to practice.

The biggest problem is that it is now illegal to import or sell the items
described, which covers the scimitars usually used for belly dancing.

And the authorities have not been willing to include dance as an accepted
exemption (even when asked specifically), so retailers can be prosecuted if
they sell a belly-dance scimitar to someone for dancing.  And in no case can
the Scimitars be listed for anonymous sale, such as on ebay.

So the problem isn't carrying or dancing with them per se, but being able to
acquire them in the future at all.  And the retailers, who are the ones who
could go to jail or be fined, are the people who won't stock them if they
can't legally be made, imported, or sold.

And they're considering extended it to all straight bladed weapons over 50cm
this fall according to the AKCT (Association of Knife Collectors and
Traders) article.

Keith Graham
xxx@xxxx.xxx
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

June 4, 2008, 1:32 a.m. (Message 52672, in reply to message 52611)

To Graham´s response to me. Not sure how the process works in the U.K.
so I will use a Calfornia model.

There, a act is passed and signed into law. The problem comes in the
next step when the administrative code is written, which determines how
the law is actually applied. So if this was California, the problem is
not the law but the admin code, which is fairly simple to change if it
seems as stupid as this case. If stage is an existing exception, it is
probably an oversight that this does not include dance. It would not
take the supreme court to seek remedy, only one judge to hear an
appleal for exception. If the appeal was well prepared and the judge in
question intelligent in the wording of his ruling, I doubt if the
state´s attourney´s would fight it, and this would sort of set a
precident, so that related cases would easily get the same exception.
Dick&Maureen Daniel

Dick&Maureen Daniel

June 4, 2008, 9:59 p.m. (Message 52683, in reply to message 52672)

> From: xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> Subject: Re: No more sword dances?> > To
Graham´s response to me. Not sure how the process works in the U.K. >
so I will use a Calfornia model.> > There, a act is passed and signed
into law. The problem comes in the > next step when the administrative
code is written, which determines how > the law is actually applied.
So if this was California, the problem is > not the law but the admin
code, which is fairly simple to change if it > seems as stupid as this
case. If stage is an existing exception, it is > probably an oversight
that this does not include dance. It would not > take the supreme
court to seek remedy, only one judge to hear an > appleal for
exception. If the appeal was well prepared and the judge in > question
intelligent in the wording of his ruling, I doubt if the > state´s
attourney´s would fight it, and this would sort of set a > precident,
so that related cases would easily get the same exception. > > By Dick
Daniel,
Very interesting.  The point is that knives are a real problem in the
UK [mostly accepted as ex-kitchen items] and the UK government rightly
wishes to do something about it.  I think the reason it has such a
relatively high prominence is because guns are generally unavailable
to the public here, so knives/blades become the major weapon of
serious aggression. This does not apply to much of the rest of the
world, so their problems are primarily with guns.
Can you do a Sword Dance without keen edged swords?  Yes, you can do
the steps, but the whole point of the dance was to demonstrate skill
in not cutting your feet, so it becomes like a high wire artiste doing
their act with a harness, so they can't come to any harm if they slip
[Yawn].
I view Sword Dancing like other Highland Dancing.... An extremely
skillful competitive form of dance, not designed for spectator
entertainment.
Of course, it's not the weapon that is really at fault, it's the user,
so the real answer is to crack down hard on abuse of ownership.
Problem is how???
Agnes MacMichael

Agnes MacMichael

June 4, 2008, 11:40 p.m. (Message 52687, in reply to message 52683)

Hi all
I think highland dancing is very entertaining.  I don't particularly like
the competitive side of it.  I have seen and heard some of the tantrums -
and that is just the mothers - but the children themselves get so hyped up
that they are positively manic.
My two grand children did highland - and other types of dance - in a dance
school - they went in for the exams to prove their skill, but they never did
any competitive dancing - i.e. at Highland Games etc.  I would not encourage
them to go into the competitions and they did not want to either.  They did
the dancing for enjoyment.
My oldest grand daughter has travelled overseas with a group I am involved
in doing her highland dancing.  She concentrated on the Highland Fling and
the Sword Dance.  Her favourite was the Sword dance.  My husband made a
special case for her sword to travel in and we never had any problems taking
it with us.  It was declared and put with 'special items' or 'fragile
items'.  The audiences and cultures we performed for really enjoyed her
dancing and she has even had a standing ovation and given a special gift
from a mayor of one of the villages we performed in.
The dance teacher has to order these swords from India.
My point in this is that I don't understand how it is not entertaining.
Agnes Macmichael
West Lothian, Scotland
Jan Rudge

Jan Rudge

June 5, 2008, 5:14 a.m. (Message 52692, in reply to message 52687)

> I think highland dancing is very entertaining. I don't particularly
like> the competitive side of it. I have seen and heard some of the
tantrums -> and that is just the mothers

Hey, be careful Agnes... There are "highland mums" here on the Strathspey List, you know!

;o))

Jan

Beaconsfield, UK
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

June 5, 2008, 7:40 a.m. (Message 52693, in reply to message 52692)

In my [admittedly limited ] experience, Agnes is absolutely right. I was
dancing in Bath and decided to enter the 'National' dance class at the
Bristol Eisteddfod. I was 16 and so was competing in the '16years and over'
class with about 8 lassies from Bristol dancing schools.When I was declared
the winner, the atmosphere from the mums was absolutely poisonous. This was
repeated when I again won the following year, so I decided to stop before I
was 'kneecapped' or worse. I think that there were two problems: 1) I was an
outsider, and 2) they had probably been competing against each other from a
tender age in the several dance classes, and had established a pecking order
as to who would probably win which class, and I upset that.
Not on one of those occasions, but at the end of my very first demonstration
of solo swords, I clipped the hilt as I was backstepping out and the point
came up to about 45 degrees before gravity asserted itself. A frisson
certainly went through the audience - while the edge was not particularly
sharp, the point certainly was. This links with Pia's comments of  "a bit of
Wow." and " but phew they didn't."
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

June 5, 2008, 8:17 a.m. (Message 52695, in reply to message 52693)

Andrew Smith wrote:

> Not on one of those occasions, but at the end of my very first
> demonstration of solo swords, I clipped the hilt as I was backstepping out
> and the point came up to about 45 degrees before gravity asserted itself. A
> frisson certainly went through the audience - while the edge was not
> particularly sharp, the point certainly was.

I wouldn't want to show my face (let alone legs) on stage at a highland dance
competition but I've done my share of sword dancing. In my experience, what
happens is that you either kick the swords out of kilter or else step down on
the flat of a sword from above, neither of which have much potential for
serious injury beyond that inherent in Highland dancing (without swords) to
begin with. The most dangerous bit, as Andrew describes, is probably the
hilt.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
A vibration is a motion that cannot make up its mind which way it wants to go.

Pia Walker

June 5, 2008, 10:08 a.m. (Message 52696, in reply to message 52693)

Happens in ball room dance too - my mother was asked to withdraw me and my
partner from a competition because we were sure to win :>)
Mums eh!!!!!

Pia
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

June 5, 2008, 10:11 a.m. (Message 52697, in reply to message 52683)

Hi Dick,

> I view Sword Dancing like other Highland Dancing.... An
> extremely skillful competitive form of dance, not designed
> for spectator entertainment.

I have never danced competitively, but whenever we include a bit of
Highland in a performance (in particular a sword dance) it always gets a
VERY good reception.  It's different, it's showy, it's got the bagpipes.

I recently performed the sword dance at my daughter's school (they had a
week of celebrating diversity, and the teacher in charge of the week
dances in the same SCD class as me and managed to twist my arm so that
they could celebrate the local culture as well), and the kids were
delighted.  They were particularly interested in the prop (which had an
edge that had never been sharpened).  My daughter was later sent home
with a thank you card which included a couple of portraits of me by
pupils.

So, competitive Highland I cannot speak about, but my experience is that
audiences always like a bit of Highland in a dem.

Cheers,

[...]

June 5, 2008, 2:30 a.m. (Message 52691, in reply to message 52672)

Dick Daniel wrote:
| Can you do a Sword Dance without keen edged swords?  Yes, you can do the st=
| eps, but the whole point of the dance was to demonstrate skill in not cutti=
| ng your feet, so it becomes like a high wire artiste doing their act with a=
|  harness, so they can't come to any harm if they slip [Yawn].=20=20

Hmmm ...  In my experience (mostly in North America, with a few trips
to the UK) the swords used by dancers have never been sharp. In fact,
if you get close enough to see them clearly, you'll usually  see  all
sorts  of nicks in the edge.  Some dancers do like to keep the swords
polished and shiny, since they're for show, but they're  more  likely
to  dull  the  edge than sharpen it.  The audiences know it's a show,
after all, and  nobody  sensible  expects  the  dancers  to  endanger
themselves, aside from a few bruises now and then.

It is common for teachers to warn newcomers to sword dancing that the
swords  may  not  be  sharp,  but they are hard steel, and you should
expect a few good bumps and scrapes until you learn to handle them.

--
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
Bob McArthur

Bob McArthur

June 5, 2008, 10:47 a.m. (Message 52699, in reply to message 52611)

What concerns me most is how possession of a sword for artistic or
traditional reasons may/can be interpreted by the local law
enforcement authorities.

Last year a group of our club members performed a Guard of Honour at
the wedding of a members daughter much to the delight of the wedding
party and other guests. This was outside the church in the centre of
town.

It would appear that we could have run into problems under the 2006
legislation dependent on how this occasion was regarded by a local
beat officer and how 'difficult' that officer decided to be on the
day.

Just yesterday the front page of our local paper was devoted to the
case of someone getting a two year custodial sentence for supposedly
innocently hanging a shotgun (sawn off!!!) as a wall ornament and with
no ammunition available in the premises.

Not the best place to secure a firearm, legally held or not but how
many buildings with public access do the same with firearms as museum
display items and how many swords are hung on display?

Innocent action or not?  Who Knows?

It does concern me that there is too much ambiguity about the current
legislation in England and Wales and it is important that this is
clarified properly to safeguard the innocent participant from over-
zealous law enforcement bodies.

Bob McArthur
Bournemouth, UK
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

June 5, 2008, 12:24 p.m. (Message 52701, in reply to message 52611)

Here in Spain that type of cutthroat competition is pretty much
associated only with football. Not to the extent of the Texas
cheerleader mom who hired a hit man to attack the mother of her
daughter´s closest competitor a few years back.

Recently, I saw the opposite. We had an all day basket ball
tournament, teams from all over the island kids 14 and under. One team
from a distant village was really pathetic. was losing each game.
Imagine getting up at 06:00 taking a bus in the dark for an all day
event, and going home that night in the dark, cold and sweaty, and
losing every event. Their last game was around 18:00, and they were
losing about 52 to 0. The other coach on an ego trip, kept his first
string in running up the score, where most coaches would pull the first
string, to give his poorer players more game time. Smart anyway because
it would give the team more depth for injuries and the next season. At
some point, parents from his own team started booing their own baskets,
pretty soon the entre gym was booing him. I suppose he found out later,
but the look on his face at the time indicated that he had no clue as
to the message.
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

June 5, 2008, 12:30 p.m. (Message 52703, in reply to message 52611)

In my experience, I have never seen an injury caused by a cut, but by
broken bones caused by landing on some part of the sword and turning
one´s ankle
GOSS9@telefonica.net

GOSS9@telefonica.net

June 5, 2008, 12:34 p.m. (Message 52704, in reply to message 52611)

Pia, have you ever seen the film "strictly dancing" - Cinderella story
about the behind the scenes at a ballroom dance studio. Predictable
plot, but enjoyable because of my SCD and highland experience. The
protagonist is the young girl who starts out looking like a loser with
bad hair, dumpy clothes, and thick glasses. She works as a janitor to
pay for her lessons, and has a crush on the son of the owner of the
studio, who is already a star. You know the rest.
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

June 5, 2008, 12:45 p.m. (Message 52705, in reply to message 52704)

Of course I have !!!!! - bad hair, dumpy clothes and thick glasses -
that's me - working as a janitor - No building would stand for that -
and my dance instructor had daughters.   I also blotted my copy book
by saying no to the first boy who asked me to dance with him - because
I wanted to dance with a girl :>)    the boys line up there - girls
line up here then  'right boys - go for it'.  I thought my mother
would kill me :>)   After 14 years of competitive dancing, I much
prefer SCD.

Pia
John Chambers

John Chambers

June 5, 2008, 1:25 p.m. (Message 52719, in reply to message 52611)

| Happens in ball room dance too - my mother was asked to withdraw me and my
| partner from a competition because we were sure to win :>)
| Mums eh!!!!!
|
| Pia

There is a widespread tradition in both  dance  and  music  contests,
that  when someone wins too often, you make them a judge.  Few people
ever turn  down  such  an  honor,  and  it  takes  them  out  of  the
competition.

--
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?