Anselm Lingnau

Re: No more sword dances?

June 3, 2008, 12:02 a.m. (Message 52616, in reply to message 52611)

Fiona Grant wrote:

> Banning the purchase and use of these swords is to my
> mind completely ridiculous, as I know of no occasion when such swords have
> been used in violent crime.

This misses the point somewhat, I think. The point is not »doing something
about the vast numbers of murders etc. being committed using highland
dancers' (dull) swords«. The point, on the politicians' part, »is being
perceived to do something dramatic for the public good«, even if the public
good doesn't really care one way or the other. Fortunately (from the point of
view of the proposing party), nobody can really be against the new law in
principle as that would be tantamount to condoning »sword crime«. Any
objections on the part of the parliamentary opposition would have to be on
the grounds of the bill not being far-reaching enough (it should, for
example, also ban kitchen knives -- another ingredient to violent crime if
there ever was one) or various technicalities of no real consequence (like
whether dancing counts as a sport where swords should still be allowed, or
not).

Anyway, never mind swords for the moment, but is HM Government really planning
to outlaw sticks? Any sticks at all? Exactly what must a stick look like
and/or be made of to perhaps still be permissible? What about canes or
crutches? Broom handles? Tent poles? Fence posts? Railway ties? Toothpicks?
Cheese straws?

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Stop trying to protect me from myself. [...] Plastic knives are for picnics.