Anselm Lingnau

Re: No more sword dances?

June 5, 2008, 8:17 a.m. (Message 52695, in reply to message 52693)

Andrew Smith wrote:

> Not on one of those occasions, but at the end of my very first
> demonstration of solo swords, I clipped the hilt as I was backstepping out
> and the point came up to about 45 degrees before gravity asserted itself. A
> frisson certainly went through the audience - while the edge was not
> particularly sharp, the point certainly was.

I wouldn't want to show my face (let alone legs) on stage at a highland dance
competition but I've done my share of sword dancing. In my experience, what
happens is that you either kick the swords out of kilter or else step down on
the flat of a sword from above, neither of which have much potential for
serious injury beyond that inherent in Highland dancing (without swords) to
begin with. The most dangerous bit, as Andrew describes, is probably the
hilt.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
A vibration is a motion that cannot make up its mind which way it wants to go.