Popularity of Catch the Wind (was Tunes for....)

Chris1Ronald

Chris1Ronald

July 30, 2008, 4:29 p.m. (Message 53264)

Campbell Tyler wrote:

"What I  am interested in is the popularity of the dance, currently in the
"Top 10" of  my frequently featured in programmes dances list.  It is fairly
unique  amongst modern dances in giving the dancing couple 24 of its 32 bars.
What does this signify?  Isn't everybody bored stiff watching them do  their
thing for so long, with just a reel of 3 across the dance to keep joints  and
muscles slightly warm?"

I sometimes put Catch the Wind on a programme when a dance that's  not too
taxing is called for.  This might be before or after a very taxing  dance (where
just about everyone is moving all the time, lots of pas-de-basque,  or lots
of brain power required, etc), or it might be at the beginning of a  programme
when dancers still need to get warmed up (physically and mentally).

This is in addition, of course, to the merits of good  flow, flirtatiousness,
and a good story to go with it.

FWIW,

Chris, New York.

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
James Mungall

James Mungall

July 30, 2008, 6:21 p.m. (Message 53269, in reply to message 53264)

I know what you mean.  In our groups in Baton Rouge and New Orleans,
it was a fast favorite.  No one seems to mind the 24 bars of solo
dancing.  We've even taken to having the first lady use a scarf to
flirt with and turn by to complete the dance.  I think no one minds
the 24 solo bars because they do go by quickly, and it's fun to get to
watch the first couple flirt and dance and anticipate your own turn as
actives without really having to worry about any other parts besides
coming in your reels on time.

James Mungall
Baton Rouge, LA, USA

> "What I  am interested in is the popularity of the
> dance, currently in the
> "Top 10" of  my frequently featured in programmes
> dances list.  It is fairly
> unique  amongst modern dances in giving the dancing couple
> 24 of its 32 bars.
> What does this signify?  Isn't everybody bored stiff
> watching them do  their
> thing for so long, with just a reel of 3 across the dance
> to keep joints  and
> muscles slightly warm?"
>
> I sometimes put Catch the Wind on a programme when a dance
> that's  not too
> taxing is called for.  This might be before or after a very
> taxing  dance (where
> just about everyone is moving all the time, lots of
> pas-de-basque,  or lots
> of brain power required, etc), or it might be at the
> beginning of a  programme
> when dancers still need to get warmed up (physically and
> mentally).
>
> This is in addition, of course, to the merits of good
> flow, flirtatiousness,
> and a good story to go with it.
>
> FWIW,
>
> Chris, New York.
>

> **************Get fantasy football with free live scoring.
> Sign up for
> FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

July 30, 2008, 9:12 p.m. (Message 53274, in reply to message 53269)

James,
Not to mention that the dance, like "Mari's Wedding" and "Wild Geese", lends
itself to all sorts of embellishment, twiddles, etc. I think it has fast
become one of my all time favorite dances! While it is not as challenging as
the "Golden Snitch" or the "Best Set In the Hall" it has a particular charm
about it!

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
James Mungall

James Mungall

July 30, 2008, 10:09 p.m. (Message 53276, in reply to message 53274)

I think part of it's charm is that it IS easy, but keeps people
interested no matter their dancing expertise.
-James Mungall