The RSCDS dance publication process (was: Tunes for "Hornpipes Suitable f...

SMiskoe

SMiskoe

July 30, 2008, 3:02 p.m. (Message 53259)

You make a lot of sense, Anselm.
No one has mentioned what it is like to dance Catch the Wind to the 3 tunes
that originally raised the question.  Some dances and their tunes fit
perfectly but there are many dances that can be done to 'any good'.  Is it  possible
that CTW is one of these?
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

July 30, 2008, 5:04 p.m. (Message 53265, in reply to message 53259)

We seem to focus on the "name tune" for a dance and forget that there
are typically 2 or 3 others that are played along with it in a set.
Are there any dances in SCD that are so tied to their tune that you
can't dance them to any other music?  I haven't found one yet!  I do
think this is a dance that works with many tunes, as is evidenced by
reviewing the variety used in the sets that have been recorded for it.
-Steve
mlamontbrown

mlamontbrown

July 30, 2008, 5:27 p.m. (Message 53267, in reply to message 53265)

Steve wrote:
> Are there any dances in SCD that are so tied to their tune that you
> can't dance them to any other music?

Well I won't say that you can't dance them to other tunes, but you have to be very
selective about alternatives for:

Princess Royal
Wee Cooper of Fife
Cairn Edward

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York  (UK)
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

July 30, 2008, 7:22 p.m. (Message 53272, in reply to message 53265)

Piper and the Penguin - it just isn't the same to any other tune.

Pia
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

July 30, 2008, 7:36 p.m. (Message 53273, in reply to message 53272)

It's a good tune, but I understand that Muriel Johnstone, who wrote
it, had actually intended a different tune for this dance.  I don't
know the details of why this was chosen instead but we've played her
other tune (the name of which I can't remember offhand) as the 2nd
tune in this set and it seems to work just as well as the original.
-Steve
Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

July 30, 2008, 9:24 p.m. (Message 53275, in reply to message 53272)

No, but just try dancing a familar dance to the tune of another familar
dance!

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Chris1Ronald

Chris1Ronald

July 31, 2008, 6:23 p.m. (Message 53287, in reply to message 53259)

Anselm wrote:

Rather  than bore the list subscribers with yet another ten-page diatribe on
Society governance and project sketches I decided to put it up on the Web
where those people who are *really* interested in this sort of thing can
find
it. Look at

_http://my.strathspey.org/anselm/stories/reply-to-pia_
(http://my.strathspey.org/anselm/stories/reply-to-pia)

Well, I did. And I commend anyone who cares about the vitality of the RSCDS
to do so too.

Taken along with other recent messages, including those from a former
Chairman, it makes sobering reading.  These concerns about the  performance of the
Management Board come on top of other concerns,  especially about fiscal
matters.

I've just seen the latest mailing to Branches from HQ.  The  preliminary
2007-08 accounts show income of 212,000 pounds and  expenditure of 349,000 pounds.
 In other words, the Society spent 137,000  pounds more than it took in.
That's a mind-boggling 65 per cent  deficit.

I seem to remember that the Society ran up a significant deficit one  year in
the late 90s, and - for this and other reasons - the Executive  Council was
abolished and the Management Board created.   It seems,  however, that this has
not solved the problem.

I'm sure William Whyte (Convenor of General Purposes and Finance)  means it
when he writes in the Spring issue of the Magazine that: "it is  vital that we
are serious about making and adhering to budgets."

Some of his predecessors no doubt said the same kind of things, so how  much
confidence can we have that the Management Board will really get serious  and
stay serious this time?

I believe everyone reading this list WANTS the Society to be  healthy.  Here
in New York, we met recently and decided  to swallow the 50 per cent increase
in membership dues, by absorbing  half of the increase from our reserves, and
passing on just half of it to our  members.  But such measures can only be
temporary.  We expect to  see the Society take fiscal discipline far more
seriously.  Our patience is  not inexhaustible.

Thank you for listening,

Chris, New York.

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.