"Rice and Lefse" progression questions

Volleyballjerry

Feb. 11, 2005, 3:59 a.m. (Message 40602)

Lara Friedman-Shedlov wrote in reponse to my (Robb Quint) message:

I think there has may have been a misunderstanding about the progression of
the dance.? I had intended the dance to be done in a 3-couple set.
It finishes with couples in the order 3C, 1C, 2C, and a new top couple
starts the next repetition. (It *did* say repeat with a new top couple at
the end of the instructions I sent out -- I checked ;-). ) This type of
progression, although not exactly common, is found in a number of other
SCDs that I have encountered, though the only one that pops immediately
to mind is Gypsy Glen, by John Bowie Dickson.? I'm sure other
Strathspeyers could name others.

the 3,1,2 progression *is* a bit confusing to dancers at first -- there is
a strong tendency for the old 1C to want to step down to the bottom.

I myself had previously written:?

> The unusual progression, such that the couple which waits out a round at
the
> top and then begins as new top couple is the third, not the second, couple
> from the previous round, I do not recall ever encountering in any other
dance
> (though perhaps there are some?).? Dancing couple still needs to step to
the
> bottom after its second round, and then it works just fine, so why not??
Given the
> progression, this could also be a three-couple strathspey in a three-couple
> set, or even the same as a jig, though for some reason we never seem to
have
> quicktime dances with this arrangement (I wonder why not).

Okay, now I think that there is a bit of a problem.  The 3-1-2 progression is
neither uncommon (nor generally at all confusing) for a STRATHSPEY.  And in
fact the dance mentioned by Lara as an example, Gypsy Glen, is a Strathspey.
There are lots of three-couple strathspeys danced in three-couple sets, e.g.
Neidpath Castle, MacDonald of the Isles, and many many more.  Logically there is
no reason that the same could not be done in quicktime, as I had already
mentioned, but for some reason, by tradition, we don't.  While there are plenty of
strathspeys in this configuration, I cannot think of a single three-couple
quicktime dance that is done three times in a three-couple set.  So where are we
going to find  3 X 40 jig music to use for this?  Now of course new music
could be composed, and why not a 3 X 40 jig or a 3 X anything jig or reel in a
three-couple set?.  But has there ever before been such a thing in the
R.S.C.D.S. tradition?  Is there any other?

The other possibility is to dance this 40-bar 3-couple jig as any other such
would be danced:  8 X in a four-couple set, each couple twice through, which
is exactly as we danced it in class using "The Express" for our music.  It
works fine 8 X  with the dancing couple stepping to the bottom and the bottom
couple stepping up on bars 1-2 as a new couple begins, exactly as we do all the
time.  The only unusual thing here is that it is always the third couple from
the previous round (rather than the second) that is the new couple starting at
the top.  And is there any precedent for this?  Is such a thing going to be
accepted?  I personally don't see why not; every couple still gets a 2 X turn.
Is there any other quicktime dance in a longways set where?n it is not the
second couple from the previous round that begins as new couple in an 8 X
progression?  I personally favor this alternative because there is plenty of music for
8 X 40 jig, and I personally know of none for 3 X 40 jig.

Either way, as a quicktime dance, unless someone can provide examples to the
contrary, "Rice and Lefse" gives us an entirely new progression mode for a
quicktime dance.  If there is any published precedent for either of the two
aforementioned possibilities, it still is something exceedingly rare.

I really like the dance, as did my class, this already reported, and I am
personally quite content with the unorthodox progression mode for a quicktime
dance, but I believe that for a QUICKTIME dance this mode is in fact unique.

Or am I still missing something???

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Margaret Lambourne

Margaret Lambourne

Feb. 11, 2005, 10:57 a.m. (Message 40605, in reply to message 40602)

Both Robb and Lara have written that 3 couple quicktime dances are rare
if not non-existent until now. There is one other that I know but it's
in a triangular formation. It's M(a)cPherson's Jig and I have a
photocopy of printed instruements with hand written annotations and
clarifications. There is a signature at the bottom "J.Johnston, Becholt
'92". I can't remember where I acquired it but it was on a social dance
programme in Rosendaal, The Netherlands several years ago.

It's not a difficult dance and, in the other set of instructions that I
have, it says that it often used in a medley with Wind On Loch Fyne.

Margaret
Sophie Rickebusch

Sophie Rickebusch

Feb. 11, 2005, 11:42 a.m. (Message 40607, in reply to message 40605)

A 3x32 jig which we enjoy in the Dietlikon group (and is handy when numbers in
the class are low!) is "Bottoms up" (H. Rhodes, Snowdon bk 3) which, as it name
indicates, brings the bottom couple up from 3rd to 1st pl. I use the recording
for "The Misses Cramb of Linlithgow" from the Book 40 & Children's book CD, which
for some reason is 3x32, although the dance itself is a conventional 3C in a 4C-set
one.

Sophie

--
Sophie Rickebusch
CH - Wettswil a. A.

Alan Paterson

Feb. 14, 2005, 2:35 p.m. (Message 40663, in reply to message 40605)

On 11/02/2005 09:57, Margaret Lambourne wrote:
> Both Robb and Lara have written that 3 couple quicktime dances are rare
> if not non-existent until now.

Hmmm.

Let's have a look at the database:
112 Reels with 3-3 sets
95 jigs with 3-3 sets
352 strathspeys with 3-3 sets

Or. If we are restricting to 312 progression:
R: 5
J: 7
S: 27

Some are 231 progression - but most I don't know.

(Since I was responsible myself for one of the jigs and one of the reels!)

Alan
mlamontbrown

mlamontbrown

Feb. 11, 2005, 11:56 a.m. (Message 40608, in reply to message 40602)

Robb wrote:

> While there are plenty of
> strathspeys in this configuration, I cannot think of a single three-couple
> quicktime dance that is done three times in a three-couple set.

Well I have instructions for about 40 jigs which are for 3 couples in a 3 couple set
(2 of them 40 bars), and over 30 reels (6 of them 40 bars) - the problem is that I
don't have any 3x40 reels or jigs on CD, so I quite like the idea of making them into
4 couple dances as Robb suggested.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York
Ron Mackey

Ron Mackey

Feb. 12, 2005, 2:09 a.m. (Message 40616, in reply to message 40608)

> Well I have instructions for about 40 jigs which are for 3 couples in a 3 couple set
> (2 of them 40 bars), and over 30 reels (6 of them 40 bars) - the problem is that I
> don't have any 3x40 reels or jigs on CD, so I quite like the idea of making them into
> 4 couple dances as Robb suggested.
>
> Malcolm
>
> Malcolm L Brown

	There you are Marie, a requirement for your proposed CD.
3x40 Reels and Jigs!
Is a 3x48 of anything required?
L. Friedman-Shedlov

L. Friedman-Shedlov

Feb. 11, 2005, 6:57 p.m. (Message 40612, in reply to message 40602)

Yes, it had been noted earlier that it is extremely difficult to find
recorded version of 3x40 jigs.  There were a couple of responses
saying that there is at least one such recording on a new CD, "Old
Favourites and Odd Couples."  It also has a 3x40 reel, I note.  I haven't
heard the CD, so I don't know how well those particular tunes will work,
however.

Although I originally conceived it as a 3x40 jig, I certainly have no
objection to this dance being done as an 8x40 jig in a 4-couple set.  It
should work just fine.

Interestingly, it had also never occured to me that the 3,1,2 progression
has thus far only appeared in strathspeys.  I should think that is merely
accidental.

/ Lara
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
RSCDS Twin Cities Branch

Lara Friedman~Shedlov               "Librarians -- Like Google, but
xxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx                       warm-blooded"