The Millenium!

Norman BETT

April 24, 1998, 5:52 p.m. (Message 11788)

Is anyone working on a dance for the Millenium ?  If not, I'm sure someone will
before long.
It would be good if one of the well known names in the business would take this
up; and just as important, have some good music composed.  Perhaps it's all in
hand.

"The Millenium Reel" has a good ring to it, but I think the occasion demands a
suite of dances, or possibly a complete collection.  Come in, good people, I'm
very curious to know.

Norman

Mr Norman Bett
Cambridge  UK

Tel: 01223-248988
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

April 24, 1998, 7:19 p.m. (Message 11791, in reply to message 11788)

Just a caution.  The Millennium starts in 2001.
We will probably have to celebrate it New Years of the year 2000
since the media never seem to let facts cloud their stories.
(ewwww - how vicious - I'm so ashamed) heh heh

> Is anyone working on a dance for the Millennium ?
Richard L. Walker
Pensacola FL (City of Five Flags) USA
xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx
Ron.Mackey

Ron.Mackey

April 25, 1998, 2:24 a.m. (Message 11796, in reply to message 11791)

> > Is anyone working on a dance for the Millennium ?
> Richard L. Walker

 Hi, Richard,
I'm not sure I want to know. There'll probably be dozens of 'em and,
if the general run of celebratory dances are anything to go by, only
two out of every hundred will be worth a second glance. :~))
Why is it so difficult to devise a dance to a theme?
In our neck of the woods we must have at least fifteen
"Wedding----"dances devised over, perhaps, the last ten years and
only one was enjoyable on the night that we danced it!
 Now -I've got one called The Brides Dance with some
Highland steps in it................ :))
Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
Katherine Hoskyn

Katherine Hoskyn

April 27, 1998, 12:21 a.m. (Message 11814, in reply to message 11791)

Richard Walker wrote:

> Just a caution.  The Millennium starts in 2001.
> We will probably have to celebrate it New Years of the year 2000
> since the media never seem to let facts cloud their stories.
> (ewwww - how vicious - I'm so ashamed) heh heh

Hooray,  Hooray ,  Hooray!!
That's what I always say when I come across someone else who
acknowledges that the millenium starts in 2001.  (Centuries go from
1 to 100 not 0 to 99.)

It's not only the media that have a lot to answer for.  I have been
told by another Strathspeyer that the British Government have got it
wrong as well.

I am going to regard all celebrations entering 2000 as a practice for
the real thing which will happen entering 2001.  (I am sure that I
will enjoy the practice,  but just like practising for a
demonstration of dancing,  there is nothing quite like the real
thing).
You are all invited to join me.

I am also going to devise a dance.  It's going to be called "2001:
The Real Beginning"  or something similar.

Katharine Hoskyn
Auckland,  New Zealand

PS  You all should be at New Zealand Summer School for 2000/2001
which I think is in Dunedin (Edinburgh of the south).  New Zealand
will be the first place to see in the millenium.  And if you want to
practise really well go the previous year as well (Wanganui - North
Island).
Priscilla M. Burrage

Priscilla M. Burrage

April 27, 1998, 1:50 a.m. (Message 11818, in reply to message 11814)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Katharine Hoskyn wrote:

> Richard Walker wrote:
>
> > Just a caution.  The Millennium starts in 2001.
> (Centuries go from 1 to 100 not 0 to 99.)

We find ourselves with this problem because the Greco-Roman counting
system didn't include a zero.

Or as I used to say to my coworker, named De Metropolis, the Greeks didn't
know anything about nuthin'. . .

The concept of zero was invented by the Phonecians and named 'zero' by the
Arabs.  Sorry, but I don't know when Europeans accepted zero as a number.

Should we have a dance for zeros?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Priscilla Burrage       Vermont US
(xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx)
Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson

April 28, 1998, 6:57 a.m. (Message 11836, in reply to message 11814)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Katharine Hoskyn wrote:
> Richard Walker wrote:
> > Just a caution.  The Millennium starts in 2001.
> > We will probably have to celebrate it New Years of the year 2000
> > since the media never seem to let facts cloud their stories.
>
> Hooray,  Hooray ,  Hooray!!
>
> I am going to regard all celebrations entering 2000 as a practice for
> the real thing which will happen entering 2001.  (I am sure that I
> will enjoy the practice,  but just like practising for a
> demonstration of dancing,  there is nothing quite like the real
> thing).

Celebrating in 2001 should also have the advantage that most of the
millenium bugs should have manifest themselves (and hopefully been fixed)
by that time.  I plan to celebrate the new years of 1999/2000 by staying
home and watching how much the millenium bug can screw up society.
(Be sure to have a stock of food and cash on hand, and definitely don't
fly any time near then.)

> I am also going to devise a dance.  It's going to be called "2001:
> The Real Beginning"  or something similar.

How 'bout "2001: Strathspey Odyssey"

"Open the garage door HAL"
"I'm sorry Dave, I can't do that"
 . . .

  Michael Hanson, Seattle, WA.  (xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx)
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

April 28, 1998, 7:45 a.m. (Message 11837, in reply to message 11836)

I like to think of the computer problems being associated with the
K2 (or year 2000) situation where the computer clocks cause much
weeping and gnashing of teeth.  The Millennium can be for the
celebrations.  In reality, both will probably occur over the
entire two year -- k2 plus Millennium -- (or longer) period.  It
should be an interesting time to say the least. I warned folks about
it in the 1970s and was told, "I'm not going to worry about it
because I'll be retired by then."  And they didn't --and they are.

> How 'bout "2001: Strathspey Odyssey"

I like this idea.
Richard L. Walker
Pensacola FL (City of Five Flags) USA
xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx
Campbell Downie

Campbell Downie

May 1, 1998, 7:51 a.m. (Message 11899, in reply to message 11837)

The Millenium bug has arrived in South Africa

I recently got a new credit card with the expiry date  03/00...

and some "swipe" terminals will not accept it!

Campbell

Campbell Downie
PO Box 101269
Scottsville
3209 South Africa
Katherine Hoskyn

Katherine Hoskyn

April 28, 1998, 7:51 a.m. (Message 11838, in reply to message 11836)

Michael Hanson suggested a dance for the millenium:

> How 'bout "2001: Strathspey Odyssey"

My husband has already devised "2001: A Dance Odyssey" - a simple
dance with 0s and the pattern of a 2.   He devised it last night
waving his fingers around in the shape of a two.

Katharine Hoskyn
Auckland,  New Zealand
Freeman/Pavey

Freeman/Pavey

April 24, 1998, 8:14 p.m. (Message 11792, in reply to message 11788)

Richard L. Walker wrote:

> Just a caution.  The Millennium starts in 2001.
> We will probably have to celebrate it New Years of the year 2000
> since the media never seem to let facts cloud their stories.

 Actually it isn't the media at fault this time. The celebration is not
about anything tangible; its about numbers.  We are going to celebrate
using numbers beginning with 2. (Obviously all the millenium dances
should be two couple dances.) So, don't try to confuse and suppress us
with facts, Richard!!!!     :)

Cole Pavey
--
http://www.peterboro.net/~tay/
Scottish Country Dancing in Eastern Ontario

Andrew Aitchison

April 27, 1998, 5:45 p.m. (Message 11824, in reply to message 11788)

Somebody said:
> Just a caution.  The Millennium starts in 2001.
> (Centuries go from 1 to 100 not 0 to 99.)

Priscilla M. Burrage replied:
> We find ourselves with this problem because the Greco-Roman counting
> system didn't include a zero.
and went on to explain more about zero.

As I understand it, Historians don't have the year zero (Priscilla
explained why), but Astronomers do, since it makes it easier to calculate
the time between to events, one AD and the other BC.

Thus Astronomers will celebrate the new Millennium in 1999/2000,
Historians will celebrate it in 2000/2001,
and the rest of us have a good excuse for 2 parties.

Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison		Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
x.x.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx.xx.xx	http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna
Ray Brown

Ray Brown

April 28, 1998, 8:29 a.m. (Message 11839, in reply to message 11788)

> From: Richard L. Walker <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
> To: xxxxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx
> Subject: Re: The Millenium!
> Date: Monday, April 27, 1998 11:47 PM
>
> I like to think of the computer problems being associated with the
> K2 (or year 2000) situation where the computer clocks cause much
> weeping and gnashing of teeth.  The Millennium can be for the
> celebrations.  In reality, both will probably occur over the
> entire two year -- k2 plus Millennium -- (or longer) period.  It
> should be an interesting time to say the least.

  Just wanted to mention, in medical equipment circles at least (my
profession, repairing medical equipment), it's called  " Y2K "... and,
interesting is an understatement. :-)

> I warned folks about
> it in the 1970s and was told, "I'm not going to worry about it
> because I'll be retired by then."  And they didn't --and they are.

  Unless I win a lottery, I won't be able to retire for at least another 20
years. :-)

			Ray Brown
			Joplin, MO, USA :-)
RMess61412

RMess61412

April 28, 1998, 4:44 p.m. (Message 11842, in reply to message 11788)

I've heard some rumors out there that the current version of windows 95 may
not be year 2000 compliant? Any stock in that.

Bob Messner Atlanta
S.M. Gent

S.M. Gent

April 29, 1998, 1:20 p.m. (Message 11858, in reply to message 11842)

> I've heard some rumors out there that the current version of windows 95 may
> not be year 2000 compliant? Any stock in that.

I had heard that too, but I have Windows 95, and it doesn't have any
problems.

Seonaid.
Ian Brockbank 05-Jan-1995 0951

Ian Brockbank 05-Jan-1995 0951

April 28, 1998, 5:15 p.m. (Message 11845, in reply to message 11788)

Richard Walker wrote:

> Just a caution.  The Millennium starts in 2001.
> We will probably have to celebrate it New Years of the year 2000
> since the media never seem to let facts cloud their stories.

No, no, no, no, no.  The next century starts in the year 2000, 'cos people
hadn't got the hang of centuries in the first one and only had 99 years in
it.

Or, more to the point, it's probably already started, given that the birth
date of Christ is now reckoned to be about 3 or 4 years BC.

So there you go - two opposing views which both disagree with you.

As for myself - why pass up an excuse for a party?  Celebrate both.

Mind you, since the Victorians celebrated the start of this century in
1901, maybe it's this century that's progressed so fast it's got through a
century in only 99 years.

Cheers,

Ian
--
xxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx               Edinburgh, Scotland
Grand Chain: The Scottish Dance and Music Resource: