Ian Brockbank 05-Jan-1995 0951

RE: The Millenium!

April 28, 1998, 5:15 p.m. (Message 11845, in reply to message 11788)

Richard Walker wrote:

> Just a caution.  The Millennium starts in 2001.
> We will probably have to celebrate it New Years of the year 2000
> since the media never seem to let facts cloud their stories.

No, no, no, no, no.  The next century starts in the year 2000, 'cos people
hadn't got the hang of centuries in the first one and only had 99 years in
it.

Or, more to the point, it's probably already started, given that the birth
date of Christ is now reckoned to be about 3 or 4 years BC.

So there you go - two opposing views which both disagree with you.

As for myself - why pass up an excuse for a party?  Celebrate both.

Mind you, since the Victorians celebrated the start of this century in
1901, maybe it's this century that's progressed so fast it's got through a
century in only 99 years.

Cheers,

Ian
--
xxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx               Edinburgh, Scotland
Grand Chain: The Scottish Dance and Music Resource: