Mobile SCD Cribs

Denise Smith

Oct. 3, 2021, 1:15 a.m. (Message 72094)

Wonderful. I've just downloaded it and have had a play with it. Thank you
Charles, it's awesome.
George Watt

Oct. 3, 2021, 8:19 p.m. (Message 72099, in reply to message 72094)

I must agree, it is indeed awesome. Not a word I generally use I
hasten to add. But being able to load up dances for a class evening,
then being able to check it over, look at the diagram and if still
unsure if you're teaching it right, watch the video! Well, 'awesome'
does indeed seem appropriate.

George T Watt

Sent from my Galaxy

-------- Original message --------
From: Denise Smith <xxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
Date: 02/10/2021 22:15 (GMT+00:00)
To: SCD news and discussion <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Subject: Re: Mobile SCD Cribs

Wonderful. I've just downloaded it and have had a play with it. Thank you
Charles, it's awesome.
Diane Jensen Donald

Diane Jensen Donald

Oct. 7, 2021, 8:48 p.m. (Message 72100, in reply to message 72099)

I downloaded the android version of the app last night and I'm really
enjoying it!  I love the multiple formats and the ability to save lists of
dances.  My only wish list item for future updates would be to search
dances by type.  For example, if I wanted to search for, say, a three
couple strathspey, that would be immensely helpful.  Being able to search
by formations, such as dances that include parallel reels of three, would
also be great.

Best wishes,

Diane Donald
Boise, Idaho, USA
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Oct. 8, 2021, 1:19 a.m. (Message 72101, in reply to message 72100)

Diane Donald wrote:

> My only wish list item for future updates would be to search
> dances by type.  For example, if I wanted to search for, say, a three
> couple strathspey, that would be immensely helpful.  Being able to search
> by formations, such as dances that include parallel reels of three, would
> also be great.

You can do that in the Strathspey SCD Database at https://my.strathspey.org/
dd/ (this is where Charlie's app gets its data from). To be fair, the
formation search in SCDDB leaves something to be desired but it will
eventually improve.

One obvious way in which Charlie's app and the SCDDB could be integrated more
closely would be if people's dance lists in SCDDB showed up in the app and
vice-versa. I.e., you would create a list of dances in the web browser on your
PC, taking advantage of SCDDB features such as “collections” of your dance
books, and then that list would automatically be available in the app.
Conversely, a list of dances created in the app would appear in your account
on SCDDB. This would obviously require changes both in the SCDDB (which
currently doesn't have a good API for dance lists) and the app (which would
have to enable people to identify themselves to the SCDDB) but it might be
worth looking into.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz, Germany ......................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
“Necessity is the mother of invention” is a silly proverb. “Necessity is the

Susan McKinnell

Oct. 8, 2021, 3:08 a.m. (Message 72102, in reply to message 72101)

I've used the strathspey server database for looking up dances with
specific formations and it works very nicely.  I also use Charles' Mobile
SCD Cribs and I find the app very useful.  It's wonderful to have such
resources available.
Sue McKinnell, Chicago Branch, USA
Christine Parker-Jones

Christine Parker-Jones

Oct. 30, 2021, 8:46 p.m. (Message 72122, in reply to message 72102)

Apologies if I have missed this, but it would be nice to be able to
load an existing list from the Strathspey server, then I could use it
at a dance without having to re-enter the list.

Best wishes
Christine (Leeds Branch)
Diane Jensen Donald

Diane Jensen Donald

Nov. 1, 2021, 11:33 p.m. (Message 72123, in reply to message 72122)

Sharing lists with others would be a nice feature too!

Diane
Boise, ID, USA
Charles Inglis

Charles Inglis

Nov. 3, 2021, 8:56 p.m. (Message 72129, in reply to message 72122)

Hi Christine,

I’m in the process of updating the app currently so it will load
faster and will show multiple videos if they exist.

I can then look at adding the feature you requested as I can see that would be useful.

Stay well,
Charlie