Anselm Lingnau

Re: Mobile SCD Cribs

Oct. 8, 2021, 1:19 a.m. (Message 72101, in reply to message 72100)

Diane Donald wrote:

> My only wish list item for future updates would be to search
> dances by type.  For example, if I wanted to search for, say, a three
> couple strathspey, that would be immensely helpful.  Being able to search
> by formations, such as dances that include parallel reels of three, would
> also be great.

You can do that in the Strathspey SCD Database at https://my.strathspey.org/
dd/ (this is where Charlie's app gets its data from). To be fair, the
formation search in SCDDB leaves something to be desired but it will
eventually improve.

One obvious way in which Charlie's app and the SCDDB could be integrated more
closely would be if people's dance lists in SCDDB showed up in the app and
vice-versa. I.e., you would create a list of dances in the web browser on your
PC, taking advantage of SCDDB features such as “collections” of your dance
books, and then that list would automatically be available in the app.
Conversely, a list of dances created in the app would appear in your account
on SCDDB. This would obviously require changes both in the SCDDB (which
currently doesn't have a good API for dance lists) and the app (which would
have to enable people to identify themselves to the SCDDB) but it might be
worth looking into.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz, Germany ......................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
“Necessity is the mother of invention” is a silly proverb. “Necessity is the