Dances from around the world

Diana Hastie

Feb. 25, 2018, 8:21 a.m. (Message 69452)

Dear All,

I’m trying to come up with RSCDS published dances from all over the
world. There are plenty from UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand a
fair few from Europe and some from South Africa. So far I’ve only
found one from Japan (dancing in the street). Anyone know of SCD
devised by Japanese dancers, or any other far flung places?

Many thanks,
Diana

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

Feb. 25, 2018, 8:38 a.m. (Message 69453, in reply to message 69452)

Dear Diana,
For Japan see the following collections -

"10th Anniversary Collection of SCD" by the Saitama Branch

and
"To Be A Wind" by the Tokyo Scottish Bluebell Club

and
"Happy Tartan" by Yuko Kondo.

Regards, Iain Boyd

Postal Address -

P O Box 11-404
Manners Street
Wellington 6142
New Zealand

I’m trying to come up with RSCDS published dances from all over the
world. There are plenty from UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand a
fair few from Europe and some from South Africa. So far I’ve only
found one from Japan (dancing in the street). Anyone know of SCD
devised by Japanese dancers, or any other far flung places?

Many thanks,
Diana

Sent from Mail for Windows 10
Diana Hastie

Diana Hastie

Feb. 25, 2018, 9:26 a.m. (Message 69454, in reply to message 69453)

Than Iain. Are these published by society though?
Marjorie McLaughlin

Marjorie McLaughlin

Feb. 25, 2018, 6:20 p.m. (Message 69456, in reply to message 69454)

A search on the https://my.strathspey.org/dd/person/827/ server for
Tom Toriyama, a member of the Tokyo Branch, shows 9 dances that he has
devised, including "Dancing in the Street" published in RSCDS Book 42.
It also lists his dances published in the the 10th Anniversary
Collection of the Tokyo Branch and the Primrose Collection of the
Urawa SCD Group.

Marjorie McLaughlin
San Diego CA
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Feb. 25, 2018, 7:32 p.m. (Message 69457, in reply to message 69456)

Marjorie McLaughlin wrote:

> A search on the https://my.strathspey.org/dd/person/827/ server for Tom
> Toriyama, a member of the Tokyo Branch, shows 9 dances that he has devised,
> including "Dancing in the Street" published in RSCDS Book 42.  It also
> lists his dances published in the the 10th Anniversary Collection of the
> Tokyo Branch and the Primrose Collection of the Urawa SCD Group.

It's not just Tom. There seems to be a fairly prolific dance-devising scene in
Japan but their output is currently sadly underrepresented in the Society's
published repertoire.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz, Germany ......................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
If you're hiking the wilderness and hunting for once-in-a-lifetime wildlife

Tom Halpenny

Feb. 25, 2018, 8:56 p.m. (Message 69459, in reply to message 69457)

I served on the RSCDS Management Board for three years, and my main
objective was to learn about Society processes. I was unable to gain
insight for how dances are selected for publication. I imagine there
exists some bias toward cultures that are familiar to Society leaders.

I was recently interested to read an article on the RSCDS website
about the Virtual Festival project.
https://www.rscds.org/article/virtual-festival
The organizers are looking for dance performances with themes from
"Around the World". Participants will film a video of their
performance, and the videos will be judged by three judges. This might
signal an improvement from the process that has been used to select
RSCDS dances.

Tom Halpenny
Vancouver WA USA
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Feb. 25, 2018, 11:39 p.m. (Message 69461, in reply to message 69459)

Tom Halpenny wrote:

> I served on the RSCDS Management Board for three years, and my main
> objective was to learn about Society processes. I was unable to gain
> insight for how dances are selected for publication.

Picking dances for new books comes under the purview of the RSCDS Membership
Services Committee. You might have asked me, I would have been happy to
explain the process we have been using for the last few books.

> I imagine there exists
> some bias toward cultures that are familiar to Society leaders.

Having recently completed the selection of dances for Book 52, I would like to
state that dances were trialled both by RSCDS branches and affiliated group
and at the final dance-through in Edinburgh with no reference as to their
authorship or geographical provenance.

We looked at the countries of origin of dance devisors during the final
selection of 12 dances for the book but only with a view to ensuring as
diverse a spread as we could within the short-list of dances that were deemed
eligible for publication based on their choreographic appeal.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz, Germany ......................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Thousands of years ago the Egyptians worshiped cats as gods. Cats have never

Tom Halpenny

Feb. 26, 2018, 7:11 a.m. (Message 69467, in reply to message 69461)

Thank you, Anselm, for the explanation of the dance selection process.

I came up with an expectation of 7 dances selected from Japan for books 41
through 51, based on the Japan fraction of total RSCDS members, all other
factors being equal. Compared with 1 dance selected in book 42.

I am curious whether Scottish dancers from Japan who are strathspey list
readers have any insight why Japan Scottish dance devisors might be
proportionately less successful to submit dances that are potentially
selected?

Assume the number of selected dances proportional to relative number of
members.
Japan has three branches with 2017 membership: 640 = 239 Tokyo + 228 Tokai +
173 Saitama. Total branches membership = 11621.
Japan branches are 5.5% of branches membership.
Looked at years when Japan branches were founded: 1984 Tokyo , 1997 Tokai ,
2001 Saitama.
So consider only RSCDS books published after 2000. Books 41 through 51
published 128 dances.
Assume Japan membership proportion has been consistent over the period.
Expectation 7 dances from Japan = 5.5% x 128 dances.

Tom
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Feb. 26, 2018, 10 a.m. (Message 69468, in reply to message 69467)

Tom Halpenny wrote:

> So consider only RSCDS books published after 2000. Books 41 through 51
> published 128 dances.
> Assume Japan membership proportion has been consistent over the period.
> Expectation 7 dances from Japan = 5.5% x 128 dances.

There are two issues with that hypothesis.

1. It assumes that the “density” of newly devised dances per RSCDS member
   that are available for the RSCDS to publish is the same across the world,
   which is not necessarily true (not all the prolific dance devisers in Japan
   might be members of the Society, or they might be embarrassed to submit
   their product for evaluation, which given Japanese reservations about
   “losing face” may be a major confounding factor).

2. The actual process of getting dances in for evaluation and processing them
   differs from one RSCDS book to the next. Your “proportional” hypothesis
   carries some weight for “free-for-all” books with anonymous evaluation like
   Books 47, 48 or 52 where any RSCDS member is invited to submit a dance,
   but, e.g., Book 49 and (IIRC) Book 45 asked for at most one dance per
   *branch*, and there are way fewer branches in Japan than there are in the
   UK or USA. Also, while we did try to judge dances with as little concern
   about the identity and origin of their devisers as possible when preparing
   those books that I was connected with (starting with Book 48) I can't speak
   to the methodology of the earlier books.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz, Germany ......................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Yes, people want compassion. You know what else they want? Treatments that

Tom Halpenny

Feb. 26, 2018, 11:36 a.m. (Message 69469, in reply to message 69468)

Yes indeed, I agree with the issues. Still, it is interesting to do
the comparison, and imagine the reasons, as you are doing, why the
relative number of published dances diverges from expected based on
proportional number of branch members.

Just for fun, I examined the devisor regions for all the dances in
books 41 through 51, after the year 2000, and generated the following
table for all regions.

Tom

Dances       Dances      Devisor
Published   Expected  Region
  18               16              Australia - New Zealand
  12               17              Canada
  14                 5              Europe
    1                 7              Japan
    6                 3              Rest of World
  40               27              UK - England
    1                 2              UK - Northern Ireland
  20              28              UK - Scotland
  14              20              United States America
126            125             Total
Chris Ronald

Chris Ronald

Feb. 26, 2018, 4:05 p.m. (Message 69470, in reply to message 69469)

Hi Tom,

You might also consider the dances published other than in the numbered
books, such as the Graded Books 2 and 3, the Magazine Dances, Perth 800, QE
Diamond Jubilee Dances, etc.

Chris.
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Feb. 25, 2018, 12:26 p.m. (Message 69455, in reply to message 69452)

Diana Hastie wrote:

> Anyone know of SCD devised by Japanese dancers, or any other far flung
> places?

There's always The Laird of Milton's Daughter, which while it wasn't actually
written by an Indian was at least written *in* India.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz, Germany ......................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,

Fran Smith

Feb. 25, 2018, 9:41 p.m. (Message 69460, in reply to message 69452)

Hi,Not Japan but what about Kandahar Reel?
Fran Smith , S Wales