Anselm Lingnau

Re: Dances from around the world

Feb. 25, 2018, 11:39 p.m. (Message 69461, in reply to message 69459)

Tom Halpenny wrote:

> I served on the RSCDS Management Board for three years, and my main
> objective was to learn about Society processes. I was unable to gain
> insight for how dances are selected for publication.

Picking dances for new books comes under the purview of the RSCDS Membership
Services Committee. You might have asked me, I would have been happy to
explain the process we have been using for the last few books.

> I imagine there exists
> some bias toward cultures that are familiar to Society leaders.

Having recently completed the selection of dances for Book 52, I would like to
state that dances were trialled both by RSCDS branches and affiliated group
and at the final dance-through in Edinburgh with no reference as to their
authorship or geographical provenance.

We looked at the countries of origin of dance devisors during the final
selection of 12 dances for the book but only with a view to ensuring as
diverse a spread as we could within the short-list of dances that were deemed
eligible for publication based on their choreographic appeal.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Mainz, Germany ......................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Thousands of years ago the Egyptians worshiped cats as gods. Cats have never