Skelmorlie: Ayrshire

Bryan McAlister

Jan. 8, 2004, 11:46 a.m. (Message 37476)

I have been asked to see if I could locate any music associated with
this town/village. Does anyone know of any music or dances that would
come under this category?
--
Bryan McAlister B Arch RIBA ARIAS
Web page www.bryanmac.demon.co.uk

RSCDS Stirling

Jan. 8, 2004, 12:58 p.m. (Message 37477, in reply to message 37476)

1. The Malcolm McDonald Collection lists a tune entitled: "Miss
Montgomrie of Skelmorlie" - Further information
about the Collection can be found at:
http://scotlandsmusic.com/collections.htm
"Miss L Montgomrie of Skelmorlie" is also  listed in the "Athole
Collection" of the Highland Music Trust
http://www.heallan.com/atholecontents.html

2. BONNY BRAES OF SKELMORLIE - Reel - KENNEDY FTB 2 publ Mallinson
1997 #9 p4 (D) - Tunebook
Ms (D) #68 p292 "The Bonny Braes of Skilnarley" -
http://www.folktrax.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/menus/search%20for%20titles_bon_bonny.htm
Mike Briggs

Mike Briggs

Jan. 8, 2004, 2:47 p.m. (Message 37478, in reply to message 37477)

Here's Miss L. Montgomerie of Skelmorlie, from the ABC Athole Collection
at: http://flutesong.members.beeb.net/ABC-Music/ABC-Music.htm

X:552
T:Miss L. Montgomerie of Skelmorlie
R:Slow Strathspey
B:The Athole Collection
M:C
L:1/8
Q:1/4=140
K:B_
D|B,2 B,>B B>AG>F|G>FG>B c<C C>D|B,2 B,>B B>AG>F|
G/A/B c/d/e d<B~B:|
d/e/|f>Bf>d f>Bg>f|f>Bf>d d<c cd/e/|f<B f>d f>Bg>B|F>B cB/c/ d<B Bd/e/|
f>Bf>d f>Bg>f|f>Bf>d d<c cd/e/|B,2 B,>B B>AG>F|G/A/B c/d/e d<B~B||

John Chambers also has the tune:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html

Mike
George Meikle

George Meikle

Jan. 8, 2004, 8:46 p.m. (Message 37479, in reply to message 37476)

Bryan

Are you aware that the original tune for Miss Milligan's Strathspey is Miss
L. Montgomerie of Skelmorlie and is published in 'The Leaflet Dances With
Music' published by the RSCDS

George Meikle
Lothian Scottish Dance Band
Bryan McAlister

Bryan McAlister

Jan. 8, 2004, 11:18 p.m. (Message 37482, in reply to message 37479)

In message <xxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>, George Meikle
<xxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> writes
>Bryan
>
>Are you aware that the original tune for Miss Milligan's Strathspey is Miss
>L. Montgomerie of Skelmorlie and is published in 'The Leaflet Dances With
>Music' published by the RSCDS
>
>George Meikle
>Lothian Scottish Dance Band
No but have found the tune in The Atholl Collection, missed it the first
time. Thanks for replying.
--
Bryan McAlister
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Jan. 9, 2004, 7:53 a.m. (Message 37489, in reply to message 37479)

George Meikle wrote:

> Bryan
>
> Are you aware that the original tune for Miss Milligan's Strathspey is Miss
> L. Montgomerie of Skelmorlie and is published in 'The Leaflet Dances With
> Music' published by the RSCDS
>
> George Meikle
> Lothian Scottish Dance Band

Does this mean that, on the track Miss Milligan's Strathspey, present on three
albums by Bobby Crowe, where he gives the lead tune as "Miss Milligan's
Strathspey", he has given the wrong name?

Iain McPhail gives as lead tune "Miss C Montgomery 'Skermolies" and Muriel
Johnstone has "Miss L Montgomery of Skelmorie's Strathspey". Rob Gordon has
"Miss Jean Milligan".

Can anyone comment on my deduction that this tune has 4 names and that band
leaders have a hard time finding the "real" one?

Alan
George Meikle

George Meikle

Jan. 9, 2004, 10:47 a.m. (Message 37491, in reply to message 37489)

Alan,
I cannot comment on the various names used by other band leaders in their
recordings of Miss Milligan's Strathspey. As far as I am aware the 'real
title' for the tune is Miss L. Montgomerie of Skelmorlie as published by the
RSCDS in their 'The Leaflet Dances With Music'.
If my information is incorrect then it is because the RSCDS have given the
wrong information in that publication, and I can only presume that will not
be seen to be the case.
I am glad someone is beginning to appreciate the problems that band leaders
have with original tunes for dances. This is even more difficult when dances
have their accepted original tunes changed but that is a whole new minefield
- Trip to Bavaria, Cadgers and Black Mountain Reel come to mind.

George Meikle
Lothian Scottish Dance Band
Bryan McAlister

Bryan McAlister

Jan. 10, 2004, 12:49 p.m. (Message 37558, in reply to message 37479)

In message <xxxxxxx-xxxxxx-xx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>, George Meikle
<xxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> writes
>Bryan
>
>Are you aware that the original tune for Miss Milligan's Strathspey is Miss
>L. Montgomerie of Skelmorlie and is published in 'The Leaflet Dances With
>Music' published by the RSCDS
>
>George Meikle
>Lothian Scottish Dance Band

Interestingly, having raked about a bit,  Miss Lilias Montgomerie turns
out to be daughter of Hugh Montgomerie (Montgomerie's Rant etc) who
wrote music for a song called "My Gentle Jean" words for which were
written by Anne Home, who also wrote words for Haydn.  Skelmorlie -
Haydn in a few emails.
--
Bryan McAlister
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Jan. 20, 2004, 9:43 a.m. (Message 37559, in reply to message 37558)

Scotland is and was a small place :>)

Next we will be told that Haydn was an avid SCD'er :>)

Pia