Alan Paterson

Re: Skelmorlie: Ayrshire

Jan. 9, 2004, 7:53 a.m. (Message 37489, in reply to message 37479)

George Meikle wrote:

> Bryan
>
> Are you aware that the original tune for Miss Milligan's Strathspey is Miss
> L. Montgomerie of Skelmorlie and is published in 'The Leaflet Dances With
> Music' published by the RSCDS
>
> George Meikle
> Lothian Scottish Dance Band

Does this mean that, on the track Miss Milligan's Strathspey, present on three
albums by Bobby Crowe, where he gives the lead tune as "Miss Milligan's
Strathspey", he has given the wrong name?

Iain McPhail gives as lead tune "Miss C Montgomery 'Skermolies" and Muriel
Johnstone has "Miss L Montgomery of Skelmorie's Strathspey". Rob Gordon has
"Miss Jean Milligan".

Can anyone comment on my deduction that this tune has 4 names and that band
leaders have a hard time finding the "real" one?

Alan