The One O'Clock Canon

Ian Brockbank

Aug. 4, 2013, 11:23 p.m. (Message 64356)

Hi All,

I've had several queries asking me if the last 2 bars of The One O'Clock
Canon have changed.  For bars 63-64, Book 47 says

"1st couple cast off one place while the couple in fourth place dance up to
third place."

This is a misprint.  Only on bars 159-160 do they dance up to third place.
On all other times through (63-64, 95-96 and 127-128) they dance up to
second place, allowing the previous first couple (half way through their
dance) to cast into third place.

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank

Edinburgh, Scotland

 <mailto:xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx> xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx |
<http://www.scottishdance.net/> www.scottishdance.net |
<http://twitter.com/@edinburghscd> @edinburghscd

Grand Chain - the Scottish dance resource

I've just run the Edinburgh marathon for my nephew Matthew and Martin House
Children's Hospice

  - please support at  <http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/IanBrockbank>
http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/IanBrockbank
Rebecca Sager

Rebecca Sager

Aug. 5, 2013, 2:25 a.m. (Message 64357, in reply to message 64356)

Ian - congratulations (I guess) on having your dance given the RSCDS
seal of approval. We don't have Book 47 here yet. The video from
Summer School recently uploaded to DanceData is very clear and easy to
follow, and of course Eric's crib is correct. We still made a hash of
it on Friday night, but it was late in the evening and our brains were
scrambled. We may do better next time. I can remember it being taught
in a couple of workshops I attended back in the 90s, I seem to
recollect it going well then.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA
          "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about
learning how to dance in the rain."   Vivian Greene

From: "Ian Brockbank" <xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
To: "Strathspey" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Cc: "'RSCDS'" <xxxx@xxxxx.xxx>
Subject: The One O'Clock Canon
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2013 20:23:53 +0100

Hi All,

I've had several queries asking me if the last 2 bars of The One
O'ClockCanon have changed.  For bars 63-64, Book 47 says "1st couple
cast off one place while the couple in fourth place dance up to third
place." This is a misprint.  Only on bars 159-160 do they dance up to
third place.On all other times through (63-64, 95-96 and 127-128) they
dance up to second place, allowing the previous first couple (half way
through their dance) to cast into third place.

Cheers, Ian Brockbank
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

Aug. 6, 2013, 12:44 a.m. (Message 64362, in reply to message 64357)

Hi Becky,

> Ian - congratulations (I guess) on having your dance given the RSCDS seal
of approval. We don't have Book 47 here yet.

Thank you!

As, of course, is the original at www.scottishdance.net/dances/

> We still made a hash of it on Friday night, but it was late in the evening
and our brains were scrambled. We may do better next time. I can remember it
being taught in a couple of workshops I attended back in the 90s, I seem to
recollect it going well then.

The key thing to remember is that there are really only 40 bars to the
dance.  After the first 8 bars of each half, you're doing exactly the same
thing, just at the other end.  The other thing to fix on is the reel of
four. It was several years before I discovered how important it is (I always
seemed to end up on stage behind the microphone, so it was a while before I
got to dance it in earnest) - but it's the easy focus point where you can
find yourselves again if it all starts going pear-shaped.

BTW in case anyone's interested, The Pride of Dunblane went down well at the
Dunedin Dance Festival last week as well, and I managed to get some video.
You can see it at http://youtu.be/bsdgFSrVQ_M with an extended version
including teaching at  http://youtu.be/axYtfnpAG_I

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx | www.scottishdance.net | @edinburghscd
Grand Chain - the Scottish dance resource