benefits of RSCDS

elissa h

Aug. 3, 2008, 10:02 p.m. (Message 53307)

Hi,

I am working on a small display to use at SCD events to promote the
RSCDS and the local Branch  in which I belong.  This is part of an
outreach project to build membership and inform dancers of the
benefits of supporting the RSCDS. I know why I became a member, but I
am interested in why people all over the world are members and what
they believe the benefits of membership are.  In these days of rising
costs, I believe that it is important to be able to clearly state the
benefits for all.    Thank you for assisting me in this project.

Elissa Hock
Akron, Ohio
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Aug. 3, 2008, 10:58 p.m. (Message 53308, in reply to message 53307)

Elissa Hock wrote:

> I am interested in why people all over the world are members and what
> they believe the benefits of membership are.

The immediate benefits are that you get a glossy magazine twice a year (with
an insert containing a few new -- or newly refurbished -- dances in one of
those) and a discount in the RSCDS shop, which carries all sorts of dance
books, CDs, and other paraphernalia. You get to attend RSCDS summer school in
St Andrews (but you can also come as a non-member, at a price whose
difference to the members' rate just happens to be the equivalent of a 1-year
HQ membership) as well as other events that the Society puts on.

Most RSCDS members are not directly affiliated with the Society (although that
is quite possible) but join the Society by way of a »local association«,
affectionately (if legally incorrectly) called a »branch«. This brings
together Society members in a certain area and may confer additional
benefits, the details of which depend on the branch. There may be a
newsletter or a discount for classes and/or events that the branch puts on.

In theory, the decision to join the Society should not be driven by
asking »what value do I get for my money« -- because, to be fair, to a dancer
who does not want to build up and maintain a large personal collection of
books and media (at which point the members' discount might come in useful),
a two-issue-per-year magazine subscription at the price of RSCDS membership,
might seem a tad expensive. Although it is a fairly nice magazine, to be
sure! The correct question to ask oneself is »do I identify with the aims of
the Society to a degree that I want to share some of my own personal
hard-earned cash to help the Society further these aims«. Or, to
misappropriate a famous quotation, »Ask not what the Society can do for you,
ask what you can do for the Society«.

Having said that, I'll be the first to admit that I first became an RSCDS
member, after having been dancing for not quite two years, not through such
lofty thoughts, but to qualify for a 10% rebate that my kiltmaker was
prepared to extend to RSCDS members. To a student, knocking 10% off a £600
bill for £7 -- those were the days ... -- looked like a reasonable
proposition. (You do the math.) However, as I found out more about SCD in
general, the Society, and such matters, and gravitated towards teaching and
playing SCD music (not to mention getting in touch, via Strathspey, with lots
of interesting people filling important rôles in the Society and also getting
to know a few of them in person), I'm pleased to be able to say that my
outlook changed from the merely materialistic to the basically benevolent,
and now I keep paying my yearly dues not because of the measly magazine
copies but because I think SCD, through the good offices of the Society, is
something worth supporting. You bet that it takes up a major part of *my*
life these days, and I don't want all this involvement to be in vain! Also
(if you've been following the list during the last few days) do we -- the
Society -- ever need that money badly!

To sum up: There are some material benefits to Society membership but I think
its main point is to show one's support for the people whose work holds the
whole thing together. Which isn't quite right, really: Actually, you can *be*
one of these people -- you don't have to get to sit around the conference
table in Coates Crescent, Edinburgh, to make a difference for the Society.
Elissa here does through her little project -- and we all should follow her
example!

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Their tanks will rust. Our songs will last.               -- Mikis Theodorakis

Steve Johnson

Aug. 3, 2008, 11:33 p.m. (Message 53310, in reply to message 53308)

Why am I an RSCDS member, and what are the benefits of membership?

As a fairly new RSCDS member (via London 'branch', <6 months), I thought I'd
chime in as to why I joined.

I won't repeat Anselm's list of benefits, I'll just say that's he's put I
well and eloquently, so Anselm's post
+1.

So, in addition, and in no particular order:

Firstly, the RSCDS nationally is the standards body, I generally feel that
standards bodies are worth supporting, almost by reflex action.  (When I
started sailing, I joined the Royal Yachting Association, who validate and
certify the training providers and the courses almost as an 'automatic'
thing to do as part of getting involved in the sailing scene).  There's all
the published books, courses, certified teachers, etc., and that
infrastructure is worth supporting, and it's not that expensive.  RSCDS
branch and national membership in London cost less than 20 GBP when I joined
earlier this year.  Less expensive than one night's ticket at the Ceilidh
Club and a round of drinks.

Secondly, even in a large branch like London, it gets you noticed.  People
have picked up my name.  I've spoken to the membership secretary and various
other committee members.  Joining marks you out as 'serious' about SCD - a
bit like the first time you turn up to a beginners class with dance ghillies
instead of trainers...

Thirdly, it gets you into the local network of what's going on.  There's a
lot of SCD activity in London, not all of it run by the branch by any means,
and it's not always obvious what's going on where and who runs it.   London
branch produces a quarterly news sheet ('The Reel') which has lots of
adverts for events which helps find out (and get involved with) what's going
on.  A fringe benefit of this is getting people's names and roles sorted out
from the photos in The Reel.  Last week I danced with lady at a dance who I
was convinced I'd seen before - in fact I recognised her from a picture in
The Reel.

Fourthly, there are some local discounts on classes, branch dances and
books/literature which are a help, even if they don't necessarily make
compelling financial case.  I can sight-read tunes well enough that the
dance books with music in them are a great aid in teaching myself a new
dance, so being able to hum/whistle the lead tune while you're working out
the moves and phrasing for a new dance is a sufficient draw that I'll
probably acquire a full set of music books over time.

Fifthly, there's a little part of me that feels slightly virtuous for
joining.  As our immediately past chairman put it:  "..those who [were
members and] paid their subscriptions in the past mean that we have dancing
today."  It's nice to be part of keeping a set of traditions alive (even if
they are traditions that only date back to the 1920's).

Best regards
--
Steve
xx@xxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx

Monica Pollard

Aug. 4, 2008, 12:22 a.m. (Message 53312, in reply to message 53310)

Steve Johnson wrote:
> Why am I an RSCDS member, and what are the benefits of membership?
> I won't repeat Anselm's list of benefits, I'll just say that's he's
put it well and eloquently, so Anselm's post +1.
*******
Anselm's post +2 :)

In southwest Idaho our club is over 400 miles from the nearest Branch
class (Reno, NV, 402 mi. or Portland, OR, 417 mi.).  We don't have
enough members or finances to run more than one class per week and one
large event per year.  To take advantage of any RSCDS member discount
at Branch classes or events, our members have to drive or fly a looong
ways :).  If we affiliated with the RSCDS it would probably increase
our membership dues beyond the means of many of our current members.
So those benefits don't really convince our dancers to join.

However, being so isolated has made me appreciate the benefits of
organizations like TAC and the Society much more than I did when I
belonged to the San Gabriel, CA, Branch.  I'm a member of the RSCDS
through the San Francisco Branch, as well as a member of TAC.
Belonging to these groups gives me support and help with teaching in
an isolated area.
I did my SCD Prelim teacher training at St. Andrews.
I can easily order dance books and music online thru TAC.
I can ask SF Branch and Portland teachers for advice and support (thanks guys).
And I can also ask for help from various friends I've made through
this list and TAC, most of them trained by the Society, just as I was.

These benefits don't help only me.  Through me (and through our other
two teachers) they give our dancers better teaching (I hope :).  Then
when they DO travel, they can comfortably enjoy dancing with nearly
any SCD group out there.

Monica
Nampa, ID
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a
horrible warning."
Catherine Aird
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Aug. 4, 2008, 1:14 a.m. (Message 53314, in reply to message 53312)

Monica Pollard wrote:

> If we affiliated with the RSCDS it would probably increase
> our membership dues beyond the means of many of our current members.

That would be the case if you were to become a bra^H^H^Hlocal association,
since then the members would have to pay for RSCDS membership on top of what
you would charge.

Becoming an »affiliated group« isn't really as expensive as all that (on the
order of £25 per year -- the RSCDS web site doesn't obviously say, and Eva
handles our group's accounts but she is in bed already), and it would at
least put you on the official map and get you one copy of the magazine to
pass round :^) I don't know how many members you have but if you split this
up it will probably cost everybody less than a visit to Starbucks every year.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau, Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Watching non-programmers trying to run software companies is like watching

Bob McArthur

Aug. 4, 2008, 1:31 a.m. (Message 53315, in reply to message 53314)

I have in front of me the latest leaflet regarding Application for
Affiliation and as of the 1st July 2008 the fee is £35 per annum.

It is certainly one option open to smaller groups who are not in the
position of becoming a "Branch" of thhe RSCDS.

It does suggest that a number of the group's existing membership
should be individual members of the Society.

I would suggest your secretary contacts the RSCDS in Edinburgh for
details and the application form.

Regards

Bob

> From: xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> Subject:
Re: benefits of RSCDS> Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 01:14:48 +0200> > Monica
Pollard wrote:> > > If we affiliated with the RSCDS it would probably
increase> > our membership dues beyond the means of many of our
current members.> > That would be the case if you were to become a
bra^H^H^Hlocal association, > since then the members would have to pay
for RSCDS membership on top of what > you would charge.> > Becoming an
»affiliated group« isn't really as expensive as all that (on the >
order of £25 per year -- the RSCDS web site doesn't obviously say, and
Eva > handles our group's accounts but she is in bed already), and it
would at > least put you on the official map and get you one copy of
the magazine to > pass round :^) I don't know how many members you
have but if you split this > up it will probably cost everybody less
than a visit to Starbucks every year.> > Anselm> -- > Anselm Lingnau,
Friedberg, Germany ..................... xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
Watching non-programmers trying to run software companies is like
watching> someone who doesn't know how to surf trying to surf. -- Joel
Spolsky
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

Aug. 12, 2008, 5:09 p.m. (Message 53368, in reply to message 53308)

I am just catching up, and there are some views which have been expressed
under this topic that are not IMHO entirely correct and I am surprised that
they have not been spotted.

In his two contributions Anselm sums up the view of many and presents the
case for membership in his usual cogent way, and that is most helpful.
However, I feel that his comment "Most RSCDS members are not directly
affiliated with the Society although that is quite possible) but join the
Society by way of a »local association«, affectionately (if legally
incorrectly) called a »branch«." is not strictly correct.
A member of the RSCDS is by definition a member of the RSCDS, not an
affiliate. Their subscription may be paid direct to the Society if they
choose to be HQ members or it may be collected by a Local Association for
onward transmission to the Society, but however they pay that subscription
then they are members of the Society, first and foremost. The "Branch" is
defined as a Local Association of Members of the RSCDS. In turn it may have
its own subscription to help towards its own administrative costs, but while
the two subscriptions may be paid over to the Branch treasurer in one lump
it is still in effect two separate subscriptions. By definition, one cannot
be a member of a Branch unless one is a member of the RSCDS. I think that I
am correct when I say that a Local Association/Branch does not pay any fee
to the Society for being a Branch, although it seems to be a
misunderstanding among some members in that what they perceive as a
capitation charge by the Society is in fact the membership subscriptions
being remitted to the Society.
Monica wrote: "If we affiliated with the RSCDS it would probably increase
our membership dues beyond the means of many of our current members.
So those benefits don't really convince our dancers to join."
I suspect that she is using "affiliated" in the same sense as Anselm.
However, your club can become an Affiliated Group for a lump sum payment by
the group of  I believe £35. Unlike a Local Association/Branch your members
do not have to become members of the RSCDS. As an Affiliated Group you would
receive a copy of each edition of the magazine, and your contact details
will appear on the RSCDS website, which may aid recruitment. I very much
hope that the Society can think of  further benefits from Group Affiliation.
Another benefit to all dancers, members and non-members alike, not mentioned
I think, is the fact that the Society maintains links across and around the
world, and provides teacher training and examinations that establish a
common standard, so that almost wherever you go (and the world is already
much "smaller" and more of us are travelling) you will find the same
terminology and a like-minded group of enthusiasts with whom you can
immediately feel at home.
Happy dancing, because that is what it is all about.
Andrew Smith,
Bristol, UK.
Thomas G. Mungall, III

Thomas G. Mungall, III

Aug. 12, 2008, 6:02 p.m. (Message 53369, in reply to message 53368)

One thing could alleviate this is to assess each member a small fee at each
SCD class, for example, our dance class in New Orleans charges $2 per person
for each class and some of this money goes to each person's RSCDS
membership. This gradual assessment of dues makes it less onerous than if it
were assessed all at once.

Personally I really enjoy reading the magazine and trying the new dances
that are published. I also get a certain personal satisfaction of having
that RSCDS Membership Card in my wallet.

I'd like to think that The Society is diligently continuing it's search for
and preservation of old Scottish dances while encouraging the writing and
performance of new dances. I'd also like believe that The Society was
exploring alternate styles, steps, and forms of Scottish country dancing.

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Monica Pollard

Monica Pollard

Aug. 12, 2008, 7:23 p.m. (Message 53370, in reply to message 53368)

I was, in fact, thinking of Affiliation as you describe it.  However,
at the time I wrote that I didn't know what the annual cost was.  It's
very difficult to find information about affiliating on the RSCDS
website.  We at least have an affiliation form now.

Monica
Nampa, ID
Bob McArthur

Bob McArthur

Aug. 4, 2008, 12:29 a.m. (Message 53313, in reply to message 53307)

Hi Elissa,

I will not go into what works or does not work in convincing people to
belong to a particular society or group except that it is imperative
that the society does everything it can to assist in it's own
promotion.

Recently at Festival Dybuk part of my agreement with the organisers
was that they would provide space for Scottish and SCD promotional
material and Pia Walker brought RDCDS leaflets with her.

I noted that the 'browsers' were readily attracted to these leaflets
placed on the table which served as the festival on-site office.  I
had also arranged for a tv and dvd player to be placed on the table
and Malcolm Brown's dvd of Newcastle Festival 2008 was playing for the
festival visitors and that attracted a lot of interest as well.

I was also provided with some brochures and catalogues from SCD
related suppliers and there was considerable interest in all the items
available on the stand.

As I was operating in an area where any information is quickly snapped
up especially anything relating to contact information was highly
desirable to the visiting dancers but then we were there in answer to
their request for help so you could say we had a captive audience.

As for the new dance groups in Poland becoming RSCDS members I can
only hope that through the RSCDS demonstrating that the society will
be there for them in their development phase then they will want to
perhaps affiliate in the first instance and as they understand what
the society and the extended dance community is about then they may
wish to become members individually.

Good luck with your project and I'm sure that the outcome of your
initiative will be of interest to the Society's Membership Services
Committee.

We are off to Poland again on 28th August for our next festival and it
will be interesting to see the reaction after our first workshops of
two weeks ago, hopefully the word will have spread and even more small
groups will come to this festival.

Regards

Bob McArthur
Scosha Group
Bournemouth, UK
Chris1Ronald

Chris1Ronald

Aug. 4, 2008, 2:03 a.m. (Message 53316, in reply to message 53307)

"I am interested in why people all over the world are  members..."

Hello Elissa.  Here's my take.

The RSCDS has produced dance books, records,  tapes, CDs, trained dancers and
teachers, organised examinations for  teachers, produced the manual (formerly
Won't You Join the  Dance), etc.

Along with various other initiatives, such as the efforts of many  Caledonian
Societies, this has resulted in a worldwide SCD  community in which we all
dance more or less the same steps, use the same  hand holds, have standardised
formations, follow the same etiquette,  etc., etc., so that one can dance the
same or similar dances in  thousands of different places.  And there's still a
core  repertoire that doesn't vary so much from town to town, or country to
country, as to make it too difficult for an out-of-towner to join in.

My work has taken me to various parts of the world, and it's  amazing in how
many places one can find a dance group.  Not only that, but  the local dancers
are always friendly and welcoming.  Like the ones  I've met in Ohio!

I appreciate the role the RSCDS has played and continues to play to make  all
this possible.

Chris, New York.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.
Helen B

Helen B

Aug. 8, 2008, 2:04 p.m. (Message 53348, in reply to message 53307)

Dear Elissa et al,

I agree with much of what has been said already, and particularly for
the past 10 years with Monica's point about isolation - there are no
Branches (sorry - Local Associations) in the Republic of Ireland, so I
am a member of the International Branch, which produces great email
updates and newsletters, and I'm lucky enough to work in a Copyright
Library, so I see the Reel (London Branch quarterly magazine) about a
month after it comes out.
For the last couple of years I have bought my Dad membership of London
Branch for part of his Christmas present as he has taken over the
running of a group in that area. He considers the Reel to be the main
benefit of membership.
Dublin SCD Club is an affiliated group and at the last 2 AGMs we have
had questions as to what do we get for our money. John (Edinburgh
Branch) and I are the only 2 RSCDS members and have been hard pushed
to convince some of the club members that it is worth paying. One of
our musicians is the Club Chairman, so he used to benefit from the
dance books when the music was published in them. Anyway, we have
convinced them that £35 a year is hardly going to break the bank.
Having been an RSCDS member for 16 years, I can't remember exactly
what persuaded me to join in the first place, although I know I joined
_when_ I did because long-term membership was about to be phased out
(how did you know I'm an Aberdonian?!). However, I'm sure I have
benefitted in many ways over that time and I have decided (been
persuaded) to stand for Membership Services this year to try to give
something back.
Happy dancing to those of you lucky enough to be able to over the summer.
Helen
RSCDS International Branch and Dublin SCD Club

Not happy with your email address?.
Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses
available now at Yahoo! http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/ymail/new.html
Miriam L. Mueller

Miriam L. Mueller

Aug. 12, 2008, 8:13 p.m. (Message 53371, in reply to message 53307)

The real value of the RSCDS for me is the standardization of dances and
the linkage of dancers all over the world, and the training of teachers.
I really appreciate that when work sent me to other cities, I could dance
there confident that I could fit in.

As a dancer of limited means I hate to see Elissa Hock's top listings:
the magazine, and the school at St. Andrews. The ability to attend St.
Andrews is fine - if you can afford the school and the fare, a particular
challenge for Americans at the current exchange rate. Unfortunately, when
the magazine arrives what I think of first is that the Society dues
increase equals the price of one of our monthly dances for me - and I
would rather dance than look at shiny pages.

        I was taught never to criticize without being prepared to offer
solutions. Some ideas
Make the magazine a separate subscription - it would also make it
possible for Associated group members to get their own if they wish
Offer the magazine on line at a reduced rate, for members to print out or
read on line, as they wish (our branch newsletter is distributed this
way)..
Make sure that every branch, wherever it is, gets all  the votes its
members have paid to have at the AGM (the Society seems to be moving
towards reminding Branches that they can request representatives for the
AGM).

                Miriam Mueller   San Francisco.
Mike Mudrey

Mike Mudrey

Aug. 12, 2008, 8:40 p.m. (Message 53372, in reply to message 53371)

At 01:13 PM 8/12/2008, you wrote:

>The real value of the RSCDS for me is the standardization of dances and
>the linkage of dancers all over the world, and the training of teachers.
>I really appreciate that when work sent me to other cities, I could dance
>there confident that I could fit in.
>

>                 Miriam Mueller   San Francisco.

This too, is the value to me.  It shows my support of dance and helps
to provide a linkage around the world.

The glossy magazine is quickly perused and recycled...The dances are
read and filed away.  I learn my dances from instructors when I attend.

I have not danced much around the world, but when I have danced
outside of my particularly small area, I can step into a set and feel
comfortable.

Both the strength and weakness of RSCDS is the rigidity.  It is
lockstep, but that lockstep  works well to help all of use dance
together around the world.

Mike M
Diane Jensen Donald

Diane Jensen Donald

Aug. 12, 2008, 11:17 p.m. (Message 53373, in reply to message 53372)

As an update to Monica's posts, the Boise group has now decided to become
affiliated as of last night.  As she expressed to us so well in the board
meeting, we get lots of great things from the RSCDS (the greatest of which
is Monica's valuable training), even if we are geographically isolated.

Diane Donald
Boise, Idaho USA
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

Aug. 12, 2008, 11:56 p.m. (Message 53377, in reply to message 53371)

Miriam Mueller wrote -

<The ability to attend St. Andrews is fine - if you can afford the
school and the fare, a <particular challenge for Americans at the
current exchange rate.

I can appreciate how Miriam feels. However, despite the current
exchange rate (presumably against the pound and the euro) her
country's currency is in a better state than some others. The New
Zealand dollar has slipped in the last two weeks from 70 US cents to
under 60 US cents and the South African rand is probably in a worse
state.

It is all a matter of priorities. If one wants to attend the Saint
Andrews summer school a way will be found. Again, if one wants to
belong to a society such as ours a way will be found.

Miriam also suggested -

<Make the magazine a separate subscription - it would also make it
possible for <Associated group members to get their own if they wish.
Offer the magazine on line at a <reduced rate, for members to print
out or read on line, as they wish.

Another society I belong to has done this. The numbers subscribing to
the separate magazine has dropped considerably and the cost has
increased considerably.

Personally, I prefer a glossy magazine in the post. Depending on one's
internet link and personal printer the resulting product would
probably be much worse than a mass printed issue and could take
forever to download. A printed magazine is available 'almost' forever
for reference whereas an online magazine may not be available when
wanted because the host is down or the society has removed it -
probably for cost reasons. (This is one of the reasons I do not like
dances being published on the internet.) Also, a mass printed magazine
can be taken to bed and read in comfort - which an online version can
not be, unless printed out. Again, I would much prefer a mass printed
version than have to squint at an online version and wait for the next
page to load.

Regards,

Iain Boyd

Postal Address -