Bonnie Anne (Was: dances for 3 cpl sets?)

Lara Friedman-Shedlov

Lara Friedman-Shedlov

June 2, 2008, 8:54 p.m. (Message 52604)

We used to do Bonnie Anne all the time when I danced with the university
groups in Scotland, but I've never encountered it here in the U.S.   Usually
we encored it with the men dancing as women and vice versa.  It was great
fun. I recently taught it to our group here in the Twin Cities, and I
selfishly hope it will catch on a bit, so I can dance it more often.

For those of you who do dance Bonnie Anne:  Do you dance it as written, with
the poussette right round at the end? Or do you "cheat" and do a regular
(progressive) poussette?  If I recall correctly, when I danced it with New
Scotland at Edinburgh University, we used to do a regular poussette.

Lara Friedman-Shedlov
Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Bruce Herbold

Bruce Herbold

June 2, 2008, 9:19 p.m. (Message 52606, in reply to message 52604)

We used to do it pretty regularly on balls and parties round here
(Sacramento and San Francisco area)  but I don't think it's been done
since the 80s.  we did the pousette as written - one more point of
uniqueness for that dance.  I still treasure the directions for the
ladies to "quietly pas de Basque in place" while the men dance their
reel of four.  It was not unknown for the dance to be done with pdB
throughout, including the reel of four with men's arms raised.  A
great dance but I fear it was a victim of the graying of our branch --
not just 96 bars of pdB, but then usually an encore.  Many might echo
the words of Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon if it showed up on programs
now.  But if you get it on a program in MN, let me know and I'll fly
over.

Bruce Herbold
San Francisco.
Diane Jensen Donald

Diane Jensen Donald

June 4, 2008, 7:26 p.m. (Message 52681, in reply to message 52604)

Brief aside,

Lara, thank you for mentioning that!  I loved doing Bonnie Anne when I was
in school in Scotland, and I also really loved switching sides for the
encore.  It was a good opportunity for us all to goof off a bit while
challenging our brains.  I loved seeing the boys hold their kilts like
dainty ladies. :D

Diane Donald
Boise, Idaho USA
Jan Obdrzalek

Jan Obdrzalek

June 6, 2008, 1:39 p.m. (Message 52746, in reply to message 52604)

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Lara Friedman-Shedlov
<xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx> wrote:
> For those of you who do dance Bonnie Anne:  Do you dance it as written, with
> the poussette right round at the end? Or do you "cheat" and do a regular
> (progressive) poussette?  If I recall correctly, when I danced it with New
> Scotland at Edinburgh University, we used to do a regular poussette.

I learned Bonnie Anne in New Scotland class few years ago and it was
always done with a regular pousette at the end. So no changes here :)
[at least not before 2005, when I left Scotland] It's danced (and
demed) from time to time by at least half of the groups in the Czech
Republic AFAIK :)

Jan
Brno, Czech Republic
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

June 6, 2008, 2:14 p.m. (Message 52749, in reply to message 52746)

Greetings!

I meant to comment on this one earlier but ... Bonnie Anne does appear
on social programmes occasionally, usually at Summer Dancing. What
tends to happen is that it is done with 'normal' (progressive)
poussettes to finish 2,1,4,3 and then repeated from those
positions.Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland
WENDY LOBERG

WENDY LOBERG

June 6, 2008, 2:55 p.m. (Message 52750, in reply to message 52749)

Hello,

I am doing this as a demo dance and we will be finishing with a progressive
poussette and use the last 4 bars of the poussette to move into a square
formation.

Wendy