Originally Ours - Question for George or others

Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

Dec. 4, 2006, 5:44 p.m. (Message 47283)

I've been using Originally Ours a lot since I got my copy a few months ago;
it's a great resource for us newer SCD musicians that haven't built up a
collection of the original Society publications.  However in talking to a
long-time SCD musician recently something came up that I'm curious about.  I
mentioned that I'd transposed one of the tunes to fit better on the fiddle and
he said that when that dance was published, no name tune was included (offhand
I don't recall which dance but I think it was from one of the Miscellanies).
 This made me wonder if there are tunes included in Originally Ours that
aren't "official" name tunes (and if so, if it's possible to get a list of
these dances).  Can anyone speak to this? -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
George Meikle

George Meikle

Dec. 4, 2006, 7:22 p.m. (Message 47288, in reply to message 47283)

Steve,

When "Originally Ours" was put together we realised that there were several
dances (mainly in the Miscellanies Volumes 1 & 2) that did not have any
suggested tune and were shown simply as "Any good tune". With a resource
such as "Originally Ours" it was decided that the book should show
appropriate tunes for every dance wherever possible. As Muriel Johnstone had
already recorded many of the Miscellany dances on various recordings, and
many of the dances had already taken on 'adopted' tunes, it was felt that
the opportunity should not be missed to line it up with these tunes. This
would also allow the opportunity to standardise the tunes for most of the
dances rather than leaving it to the whim of musicians. The tunes are not
set in stone but if we all use them, everybody will be cooking from the same
recipe! From memory we came up with a tune for all but 3 or 4 dances and
these are still shown as "any good tune".

Unfortunately I do not have a list of the affected dances, but if you refer
to both of the Miscellanies books you will soon see which ones were changed
from "Any good tune".

Kind regards
George Meikle
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Dec. 4, 2006, 8:17 p.m. (Message 47291, in reply to message 47288)

George Meikle wrote:

> As Muriel Johnstone
> had already recorded many of the Miscellany dances on various recordings,
> and many of the dances had already taken on 'adopted' tunes, it was felt
> that the opportunity should not be missed to line it up with these tunes.
> This would also allow the opportunity to standardise the tunes for most of
> the dances rather than leaving it to the whim of musicians.

Also note that many of the tunes for the Miscellany dances come from Nan
Main's collections, which I understand are very difficult (if not impossible)
to obtain these days. In this respect, »Originally Ours« is basically a gift
from heaven as it makes these tunes easily accessible again.

Will dances in the upcoming re-issue of the Miscellanies refer to these tunes
instead of »Any good reel«?

Anselm
It's more important to be a good driver than to have seven feet of sponge
rubber all around your car.                                      -- Larry Wall
George Meikle

George Meikle

Dec. 4, 2006, 8:52 p.m. (Message 47294, in reply to message 47291)

Anselm wrote:-

> Will dances in the upcoming re-issue of the Miscellanies refer to
> these tunes instead of >Any good reel<?

Anselm,

I will certainly make sure your suggestion is looked at when the
Miscellanies are reprinted.

Kind regards
George
Ozorak

Ozorak

Dec. 4, 2006, 8:56 p.m. (Message 47295, in reply to message 47294)

I do think there should be some ways of differentiating between dances that
the devisor had no intended music and those to which the devisor had made a
musical determination.

Etienne Ozorak
Meadville, PA  USA
George Meikle

George Meikle

Dec. 4, 2006, 9:14 p.m. (Message 47298, in reply to message 47295)

Etienne wrote:-

> I do think there should be some ways of differentiating between dances
> that the devisor had no intended music and those to which the devisor
> had made a musical determination.

Etienne,

It would take me some considerable time to go through the paperwork
associated with the compilation of "Originally Ours" to come up with a list
of the dances you are after. What with both band and other playing
commitments at this time of year, I certainly do not have that amount of
time available at the moment. If you do a comparison of "Originally Ours"
and the relatively few books holding the dance instructions you will
probably come up with the same information as I would.

Kind regards
George
John Chambers

John Chambers

Dec. 4, 2006, 9:58 p.m. (Message 47300, in reply to message 47294)

| I do think there should be some ways of differentiating between dances that
| the devisor had no intended music and those to which the devisor had made a
| musical determination.
|
| Etienne Ozorak
| Meadville, PA  USA

Well, I've long thought it would be nice if  a  three-way  distinction
could be made:

"Title" tunes that have some strong relationship to the dance.

"Recommended" tunes that the dance deviser thought have the right feel.

"Appropriate" tunes that dancers think go well with the dance.   These
are sometimes different from the above tunes.

Even when I don't use a recommended tune, I usually find them  useful.
The  reason  is  that this usually happens when a dance leader doesn't
give me the program soon enough, and I decide that there isn't time to
(re)learn  a particular tune well enough to do a good job of it.  So I
ask myself "What other tunes do I know that have the same feel?"

I suppose you could have a fourth "We don't care; we like the dance to
any music" classification.

And maybe a fifth "We tried this one and it didn't feel right for that
dance" to warn musicians away from a tune.  ;-)

--
What if the Hoky Poky really IS what it's all about?
Jean Martin

Jean Martin

Dec. 4, 2006, 9:08 p.m. (Message 47296, in reply to message 47291)

Anselm wrote:
"Also note that many of the tunes for the Miscellany dances come from Nan
Main's collections, which I understand are very difficult (if not
impossible)
to obtain these days."

I have recently been given some of Nan Main's music by the woman who was
left it by Nan.  Marilyn Healy, RSCDS Archivist, and I have been trying to
sort out what already exists in the archive and the two books of Nan's The
Ashley Album (Tunes for 38 of the dances from "99 More Scottish Country
Dances") and Scottish Country Dance Tunes for 23 hitherto Unpublished Dances
from "101 Scottish Country Dances" are already there.  101 and 99 were the
basis for the Miscellanies.

I have catalogued what I have and it will go to Coates Crescent with it all
very soon. I propose doing a lot of photocopying as the donor requested that
some of the music should remain in Aberdeen in the city archives and
certainly there are tunes which have a very strong local interest.  However
everything available (some in poor condition) will be copied for the RSCDS
archive.

Hope this information is of interest.

Jean Martin
Aberdeen
John Chambers

John Chambers

Dec. 4, 2006, 10:07 p.m. (Message 47301, in reply to message 47291)

Jean Martin wrote:
| I have recently been given some of Nan Main's music by the woman who was
| left it by Nan.  Marilyn Healy, RSCDS Archivist, and I have been trying to
| sort out what already exists in the archive and the two books of Nan's The
| Ashley Album (Tunes for 38 of the dances from "99 More Scottish Country
| Dances") and Scottish Country Dance Tunes for 23 hitherto Unpublished Dances
| from "101 Scottish Country Dances" are already there.  101 and 99 were the
| basis for the Miscellanies.
|
| I have catalogued what I have and it will go to Coates Crescent with it all
| very soon. I propose doing a lot of photocopying as the donor requested that
| some of the music should remain in Aberdeen in the city archives and
| certainly there are tunes which have a very strong local interest.  However
| everything available (some in poor condition) will be copied for the RSCDS
| archive.
|
| Hope this information is of interest.

Any chance you could just scan them and put  them  online?   Then  we
could  probably  get a few people to convert them to ABC and nice PDF
copies in a short time.  I've seen a number  of  collections  handled
like this, and it's a very useful way to do it.

(In one not so nice case, I helped transcribe a bunch of  handwritten
manuscripts  that  someone  had  "scanned"  with  their  cell phone's
camera.  Talk about low-quality copies.  ;-)

--
What if the Hoky Poky really IS what it's all about?
George Meikle

George Meikle

Dec. 4, 2006, 11:37 p.m. (Message 47305, in reply to message 47301)

John Chambers wrote:-

> Any chance you could just scan them and put them online?
> Then we could probably get a few people to convert them to ABC and
> nice PDF copies in a short time.  I've seen a number of collections
> handled like this, and it's a very useful way to do it.

John,

I think you will find that the music Jean Martin is talking about is exactly
what I have already included in "Originally Ours". I had copies of Nan
Main's books when I did "Originally Ours" and these tunes were used where
appropriate. I would hope that Jean would first of all send me copies so
that I can check against the music I have already arranged. If they prove to
be the same as already supplied in the book, it will save a pile of work
transcribing tunes that are already in "Originally Ours".

I wish folk would just realise the time, effort and research I put into that
publication and that the tunes were not just picked out of thin air. If you
want to put them on the web you will be directly affecting sales of the book
and I, for one, would not be very amused to see all my work just broadcast
for everyone to use free of charge. I am sure the RSCDS would not be too
enamoured either at the thought of the music being made available for all to
use free of charge. I went to considerable efforts to produce the book and
it would be very hurtful if somebody thinks they can just publish it on the
web.

It seems to me that there are far too many people who are ready to pounce on
the 'goodies' when someone else has done all the work. Come on give credit
where credit is due and let the RSCDS get some return for their investment.

Kind regards
George
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Dec. 5, 2006, 1:16 a.m. (Message 47311, in reply to message 47305)

George Meikle wrote:

> I wish folk would just realise the time, effort and research I put into
> that publication and that the tunes were not just picked out of thin air.
> If you want to put them on the web you will be directly affecting sales of
> the book and I, for one, would not be very amused to see all my work just
> broadcast for everyone to use free of charge.

This is a valid point. As a matter of fact, I bought two copies of Originally
Ours (one for myself, one to give to a friend), and have recommended it to a
number of other people. However, I have personally typed into my computer
about 90% of the material now in Originally Ours from the original books, and
this is what I work with most of the time. (This work for the most part
predates the announcement of the impending publication of Originally Ours.)
Originally Ours, as a book to play tunes from directly, is of very little use
to me as I find the format too distracting and inconvenient for regular
use -- I use it mainly as a convenient source for difficult-to-find tunes
such as those for dances from the Miscellanies, and as a stop-gap at
workshops (in preference to lugging around 50-odd RSCDS books).

I have a strong suspicion that, in this day and age, many musicians work
pretty much like I do and arrange their sets on a computer. I also suspect
that many of those would actually be more than happy to *pay* to be able to
obtain the content of Originally Ours in a machine-readable format that would
not require them to re-enter tunes from the printed book. ABC as the de-facto
standard for the sharing of »folk« music on the Net would probably lend
itself well, but as the content of Originally Ours is (presumably) locked
away in some proprietary program's file format this would be technically
difficult even if everybody concerned thought it was a great idea.

> It seems to me that there are far too many people who are ready to pounce
> on the 'goodies' when someone else has done all the work. Come on give
> credit where credit is due and let the RSCDS get some return for their
> investment.

Nobody said anything about not giving credit where credit is due. In fact you
will find that the »creative commons« crowd which deals with material that is
freely shared on the Internet (with the explicit consent of the copyright
holders) is usually anal-retentively diligent about »credit where credit is
due« -- more so than some »professional« outfits.

As a further heretical thought, I understand the RSCDS is somewhat strapped
for musicians. Part of the problem may be that it is difficult for a budding
musician to get a handle on all the different tunes for all the different
dances. It might, in my opinion, actually be worth thinking about making
individual tunes from the RSCDS repertoire conveniently available for free on
the Web (e.g., via John Chambers' tune finder or the DanceData database) just
so new musicians will find it easier to start playing for SCD. It is likely
that such a service will, if anything, provide an »appetiser« that will make
musicians want to shell out for the whole book eventually. The Society would
not have to publish *all* of the tunes from the book -- just the traditional
ones that are long out of copyright, anyway, would already be a great help.
In the long run this is likely to *increase* sales of books like Originally
Ours as more musicians are enticed into SCD music, and to increase the pool
of available musicians is, from the POV of the Society, surely a goal at
least as desirable as a few piddling pounds Sterling in the short term.

Anselm
For the record, in my opinion [George W. Bush] is the worst President in the
history of the United States. He's dishonest, ignorant, religious in the worst
ways and none of the good ones, and a spendthrift. [...] He should be
impeached and tried for war crimes. This is just the beginning of my contempt
for the man and what he represents. - Bill Poser, _Language Log_, July 2, 2006
John Chambers

John Chambers

Dec. 5, 2006, 2:20 a.m. (Message 47315, in reply to message 47305)

Anselm wrote;
| ... I bought two copies of Originally
| Ours (one for myself, one to give to a friend), and have recommended it to a
| number of other people. However, I have personally typed into my computer
| about 90% of the material now in Originally Ours from the original books, and
| this is what I work with most of the time. ...
| ... I use it mainly as a convenient source for difficult-to-find tunes ...

Same here. It's a marvelous addition to my collection of books, but I haven't
yet taken it along to a dance, and I don't expect I ever will.  It's designed
well as a reference book, but it's not something you'd want to play from. The
people  I  know  with  (nearly) complete RSCDS booklet collections also never
take them anywhere. They're reference material, and you want them to last for
the  decades that you'll be using them.  You make copies, and leave the books
at home.

| I have a strong suspicion that, in this day and age, many musicians work
| pretty much like I do and arrange their sets on a computer. I also suspect
| that many of those would actually be more than happy to *pay* to be able to
| obtain the content of Originally Ours in a machine-readable format that would
| not require them to re-enter tunes from the printed book.

This is slowly becoming more and more true.  Myself, I'd prefer the hard copy
book.  I can type ABC nearly as fast as I can play a tune, so getting it into
my computer is easy.  Then I can format it as I like, and get a page that's a
lot  better  to  read  than you can get with cutting and pasting, even if you
know how to do that with screen grabs (as I do sometimes).  PDF or any  other
proprietary  graphical format just isn't all that useful, even if you've paid
for the editing software.

| ABC as the de-facto
| standard for the sharing of »folk« music on the Net would probably lend
| itself well, but as the content of Originally Ours is (presumably) locked
| away in some proprietary program's file format this would be technically
| difficult even if everybody concerned thought it was a great idea.

I didn't bother with computerized music until ABC came  along.   It  was  the
first  music  format  that made it possible for a programmer like me to write
code that could extract titles, keys, etc. and do something useful with them.
And  I  could  email ABC to anyone, no matter what software they had, because
you can read it directly.  Unless a music file has these properties, I see no
real motive to use it.

| > It seems to me that there are far too many people who are ready to pounce
| > on the 'goodies' when someone else has done all the work. Come on give
| > credit where credit is due and let the RSCDS get some return for their
| > investment.
|
| Nobody said anything about not giving credit where credit is due. In fact you
| will find that the »creative commons« crowd which deals with material that is
| freely shared on the Internet (with the explicit consent of the copyright
| holders) is usually anal-retentively diligent about »credit where credit is
| due« -- more so than some »professional« outfits.

One funny thing is that ABC makes this easier. With printed music, you mostly
see cut-and-paste copies, with all the credits stripped out.  You often can't
learn what book it came from or where to buy it.  Granted, a lot of ABC lacks
this,  too,  but it has provision in the headers for full attribution.  There
are explicit header lines for the composer's name and for lists of books  and
recordings  that contain the tune.  I'm one of those anal-retentive types who
tries to include it all in the ABC.  This especially includes any book  names
(with editor and publisher) that I can find. Then when someone emails the ABC
file around, it carries the credits along with the tune.

| As a further heretical thought, I understand the RSCDS is somewhat strapped
| for musicians. Part of the problem may be that it is difficult for a budding
| musician to get a handle on all the different tunes for all the different
| dances.

That's already happened.  Actually, I and several others that I know carry it
a  step  further.  I usually don't transcribe the RSCDS version of a tune.  I
look up several versions of the tune, play them all several times,  and  type
in a version that I like that is usually a combination. I also try variations
of any chords that may be present, and type in the chords that I like best. I
originally started writing my Tune Finder so that I could do this quickly.

Part of my motive for this is to avoid infringement charges, of  course,  but
my main motive is wanting to really learn a tune. There's the old saying that
"Copying from one source is theft; copying from several sources is research."
And  even  when  I start with an RSCDS page, what ends up in my collection is
usually a different setting, especially after  I've  played  it  with  a  few
friends, each of them has criticised my printed version of the tune, and I've
typed in their suggestions that I like. (One result is that if the RSCDS does
decide  to  make  an  online ABC version of everything, my collection isn't a
very good place to start.  ;-)

I've also heard from quite a number of SCD musicians  who  say  that  they've
copied  a  lot of my dance sets.  I usually tell them "Make up your own sets,
dammit!" Then I add a ";-)". I started putting my sets online so that I could
quickly  find  them  from anywhere there was Net access.  I don't mind others
using them, but I do think it's better if people  take  the  sets  apart  and
assemble their own.  This is very easy with ABC.

--
What if the Hoky Poky really IS what it's all about?
RODERICK JOHNSTON

RODERICK JOHNSTON

Dec. 6, 2006, 12:45 p.m. (Message 47363, in reply to message 47315)

I am relatively new to playing for SCD and before attending St.A. in
the summer one of the greatest problems I had was finding the original
set tunes for particular dances.  Finding George's "Original Ours" has
been a godsend for me and I had no compunction in purchasing the book.
The problem still arises with new dances and I agree that there should
be some way simple in which musicians can obtain copies of the music.
A web based subscription system would possibly be the answer, perhaps
maintained by the RSCDs.

  Like many, I have spent hours transposing sheet music from the
  printed page onto a software based system and the work involved is
  considerable.    I do not think it is unreasonable for anyone to try
  and recoup the cost of time and effort in researching the tunes and
  producing them in a printed format.    Georges book has a limited
  market and costs must be considerable and it is not expensive when
  you consider the volume of music it contains and the way it has been
  compiled.    It is also in a format that everyone can use.

  Yes, I would find it useful if the material in the book was produced
  in a format which could be loaded and read on a computer.    Cutting
  and pasting would make producing dance sets much easier and would
  also allow me to make my own arrangements of the tunes.  The problem
  that then arises on what software format should be used.   I use
  "Finale" for my own work and if I recall correctly George used
  "Sibelius".   ABC is a useful format but very simple and a little
  fiddly.

  Free is a word that I love but it is unreasonable to accept that
  people should be not rewarded for work done.

  George, please keep up the good work.

  Rod
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

Dec. 6, 2006, 4:45 p.m. (Message 47365, in reply to message 47363)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:45:41 +0000 (GMT)
  RODERICK JOHNSTON <xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
<snip>
> Yes, I would find it useful if the material in the book was produced in a
>format which could be loaded and read on a computer.    Cutting and pasting
>would make producing dance sets much easier and would also allow me to make
>my own arrangements of the tunes.  The problem that then arises on what
>software format should be used.   I use "Finale" for my own work and if I
>recall correctly George used "Sibelius".   ABC is a useful format but very
>simple and a little fiddly.
>
>  Free is a word that I love but it is unreasonable to accept that people
>should be not rewarded for work done.

I believe that nobody has suggested that anybody's work shouldn't be
compensated, if that's what they want.  John and others have freely given
their time to input and post electronic files of un-copyrighted tunes so that
they're available online, but that was their own choice.  I would be happy to
pay at least as much as the printed copy for an electronic version of this
that I could cut and paste into my sets, since it would be much handier to me
than the current format (my typical usage involves either photocopying the
page, cutting out the tune I need and pasting it into my set; or transcribing
the needed tune into Sibelius for inclusion in my sets).  I'd be happy with
individual tunes in PDF, GIF or some other graphic format, however realize
that this would probably entail some reformatting of the volume (however if
George used Sibelius, he probably has the tunes as individual files and
creating separate files for each tune isn't especially onerous).  By the way,
PDF has the advantage that it can be password-protected; I know of one sheet
music publisher that sells electronic music files on-line; when you "buy" the
sheet music they send you the password that allows opening and printing the
file.  Publishing in this manner gets rid of most up-front costs, and is great
for low-volume publications (like SCD dance books?).

By the way, in thinking about this I looked at the copyright notice in the
front of Originally Ours.  Does anyone besides me think it is overly
restrictive and unenforceable (at least in the US)?  It appears to prohibit
almost every use of the book without express permission from the publishers!
(I don't have it in front of me but if I recall it prohibits reproduction in
any form, including photocopying, computer input, and performance of any
sort.)  Can it really be possible to copyright tunes that are in the public
domain, as are the majority of the tunes included in this volume?  What is
actually being copyrighted here, is it the specific arrangement of the tune,
or the layout, or something else?  Am I in violation of this copyright when I
photocopy a page, cut and paste a tune into an arrangement, then distribute it
to my band for a dance?  How about when I re-enter a tune into Sibelius,
"Americanize" the chords and include it in a set?
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California
John Chambers

John Chambers

Dec. 7, 2006, 4:41 p.m. (Message 47407, in reply to message 47363)

Steve Wyrick wrote:
| By the way, in thinking about this I looked at the copyright notice in the
| front of Originally Ours.  Does anyone besides me think it is overly
| restrictive and unenforceable (at least in the US)?  It appears to prohibit
| almost every use of the book without express permission from the publishers!
| (I don't have it in front of me but if I recall it prohibits reproduction in
| any form, including photocopying, computer input, and performance of any
| sort.)  Can it really be possible to copyright tunes that are in the public
| domain, as are the majority of the tunes included in this volume?  What is
| actually being copyrighted here, is it the specific arrangement of the tune,
| or the layout, or something else?  Am I in violation of this copyright when I
| photocopy a page, cut and paste a tune into an arrangement, then distribute it
| to my band for a dance?  How about when I re-enter a tune into Sibelius,
| "Americanize" the chords and include it in a set?

The main point here is probably that the RSCDS isn't  about  to  take
anyone  to  court for using Originally Ours or any of the booklets as
they were obviously intended  to  be  used.   The  RSCDS  isn't  some
far-off,  money-making  corporation.   We  are  the  RSCDS,  and  the
organization exists to support our dancing, which includes supporting
and  encouraging musicians.  Their publications include printed music
so that we can play the tunes at dances.

But there is the fact that, in much of the world, what  you're  doing
is,  strictly  speaking, illegal.  The legal system has gone somewhat
insane over  such  things.   Commercial  companies  are  suing  their
customers  for  reasonable  and expected uses of their products.  The
music recording industry has gotten most of the publicity  for  their
insanity,  but  many  publishers  (who are money-making corporations)
have gotten into the act.

There is generally a legal difference between copyright  for  a  tune
and  for  the printed representation of a tune.  For older tunes, the
notes can't be copyrighted, but a printed edition can be.  It's legal
to  copy older tunes by hand or play them in public, but it's illegal
to copy the published page  itself  without  permission.   For  newer
tunes,  since  the  notes  themeselves  are covered by copyright, you
can't legally copy or perform them in any fashion without permission.

You should check with local lawyers, but it's almost certain that any
copy  of  any  page  of  Originally Ours is in fact illegal where you
live.  Mechanical copies of any page are  probably  illegal,  and  if
there's a new copyrighted tune on the page, you can't legally copy it
by any method (including playing it on your instrument).   Maybe  the
RSCDS  isn't  going to sue anyone for the usual sort of cut-and-paste
page for a dance set, but this is legally irrelevant.  The people who
wrote the new tunes presumably want them played at dances, so they're
not going to sue you, either.  But if any of the  musicians  is  paid
even  a  penny  for playing, the copying is almost certainly illegal,
and it may be illegal even if they're not paid.  We  all  do  it,  of
course,  and  we will continue to get away with it for at least a few
more years.  But the fact that lots of people are committing a  crime
doesn't make it legal.

Now, given that we aren't going to be sued for such  usage,  this  is
mostly  an  academic exercise.  But the RSCDS might consider adding a
few words to the next edition, to the effect that the  usual  copying
of  a  few  pages for use during dancing is permitted.  Especially to
RSCDS members.  ;-)

Actually, considering the "customary use" or similar phrasing used in
some  laws, this could already be legal where you live.  And an RSCDS
membership could  be  legally  considered  a  license  to  use  their
material at dances.  But you'd have to ask a local lawyer about that.
(Warning: This may be expensive.)

At least we haven't (yet) reached the stage where  whistling  a  tune
while  walking  down  the street is considered an unauthorized public
performance of copyrighted material.  It'll take  a  few  more  years
before the laws reach that level of insanity.

Myself, I sorta enjoy the image of  a  bunch  of  musicians  publicly
flaunting  their  disregard for the law by playing from a copyrighted
page at a public dance.  And the fact that the RSCDS, an organization
working  under  the  auspices  of Her Majesty's government, is openly
encouraging such activity, is even more fun.  At your next dance, you
might  remind  yourself  those  aren't  stuffy  RSCDS types; they are
vicious criminal elements going about  their  nefarious  business  of
copyright  violation.   You  know,  like  those grandmothers who have
illegally copied music on their computers.  And maybe soon like those
criminals whistling a tune in public.

--
What if the Hoky Poky really IS what it's all about?
Karin Ingram

Karin Ingram

Dec. 7, 2006, 6:41 p.m. (Message 47416, in reply to message 47407)

The copyright issue is confusing to many, but musicians, composers and
promoters in the UK should visit www.prs.co.uk or telephone 0207-580 5544.
The Scottish MCPS/PRS contact is Duncan McCrone and his office number is
0141-204 4030.
Performing of tunes in or out of copyright is not generally an issue that
musicians need concern themselves about (unless they are being recorded onto
a commercially available product such as CD, DVD or video).  Whoever is
organising an event must have a PRS licence (unless one is already held by
the venue).  Therefore anyone running a dance class, whether using live
music or CDs, should check if the premises have a licence; if not, the
organiser of the class is breaking the law and runs a very real risk of
being prosecuted.
For those interested I will start a new thread with an explanation of
copyright taken from the PRS site.
Best wishes,
Karin Ingram
(Editor "Dance On!" & "Box and Fiddle")
Scottish Borders
Jean Martin

Jean Martin

Dec. 5, 2006, 8:43 p.m. (Message 47332, in reply to message 47301)

John Chambers wrote:
'Any chance you could just scan them and put  them  online?'

We're at a very early stage in this exercise and George is right - Nan's
tunes which were used as 'originals' for the dances in '101' and '99 More'
are in the two books mentioned in my earlier posting.

Best wishes,
Jean Martin
Aberdeen
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

Dec. 4, 2006, 9:12 p.m. (Message 47297, in reply to message 47288)

Thanks for your response, George.  The concern that came up was that since the
"adopted tunes" aren't noted as such, musicians who buy Originally Ours and
don't have access to the original publications (like me) will assume that
these tunes are "official".  I suppose this is no big deal and I appreciate
your efforts in trying to standardize things however in the absence of a
specified name tune I'd prefer to know that the presented tune is only a
suggestion, even if from vastly experienced SCD musicians such as you and
Muriel.  I hope the Society will consider annotating these tunes in any future
editions of Originally Ours.  At any rate, do I understand correctly that it's
only the tunes for the Miscellanies that are affected?  Thanks again -Steve
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

Dec. 4, 2006, 11:21 p.m. (Message 47302, in reply to message 47283)

Anselm asks:

> Will dances in the upcoming re-issue of the Miscellanies refer to
these tunes > instead of »Any good reel«?> The present intention is to
adopt the approach that was used in the booklet of Medal Test dances
and use the term 'Customary Tune' to describe tunes that have been
adopted since the dance was originally published without a specific
original. 'Original Tune' will be rtatined for, well, original tunes.
The preface will refer to the distinction. BUT, if anyone has a better
idea then let us have it.

Jim Healy
Perth, Monaco and, on this occasion, Coates Crescent.
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

Dec. 5, 2006, 1:53 a.m. (Message 47312, in reply to message 47283)

Those of us who use the Sibelius music program can easily email the files  to
each other.  The next way is to make a pdf file and mail that.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
John Chambers

John Chambers

Dec. 7, 2006, 1:15 a.m. (Message 47385, in reply to message 47283)

Rod wrote:
| Like many, I have spent hours  transposing  sheet  music  from  the
| printed  page onto a software based system and the work involved is
| considerable.  I do not think it is unreasonable for anyone to  try
| and recoup the cost of time and effort in researching the tunes and
| producing them in a printed format.  Georges  book  has  a  limited
| market  and costs must be considerable and it is not expensive when
| you consider the volume of music it contains and  the  way  it  has
| been compiled.  It is also in a format that everyone can use.

Indeed.  And I'll make a prediction that Originally Ours will  become
one  of  the standard references, in a class with the Gow and Skinner
books.  But then, you don't usually see those books' printed versions
at  dances;  you  see versions that the musicians have rewritten into
the format that they like.  The reference books stay at home on their
shelves.   I might add that there's one nice thing about the "format"
of the new book: It has a spiral binding, so that it opens  flat  and
sits  nicely  on  a  music stand.  Now if we could only get all music
publishers to do it this way ...

| Yes,  I  would  find  it  useful  if  the  material in the book was
| produced in a format which could be loaded and read on a  computer.
| Cutting and pasting would make producing dance sets much easier and
| would also allow me to make my own arrangements of the tunes.   The
| problem that then arises on what software format should be used.  I
| use "Finale" for my own work and if I recall correctly George  used
| "Sibelius".   ABC  is  a useful format but very simple and a little
| fiddly.

So far there isn't a perfect format.  Finale and Sibelius  use  their
own  proprietary formats, and even if I could parse it in my code, it
would be illegal for me to do so.  PDF is a bit more legal, but isn't
a  music  format,  and  things like titles, composers and keys aren't
identifiable by software.  ABC is very nice from a programmer's point
of  view,  makes  all  the  parts  of  the  music identifiable,and is
completely legal, but it's a  bare-bones,  plain-text  notation  like
this  text.   It handles "fake-book" notation very nicely, but hardly
works at all for keyboard music.

| Free is a word that I love but it is unreasonable  to  accept  that
| people should be not rewarded for work done.

Much of the future is with computerized  documents,  but  we  already
have  enough  history  to  know that books are not becoming obsolete.
There are uses for both. In the tech part of the publishing industry,
people  have  found  that  putting  a book online as PDF doesn't hurt
sales; it's good advertising and often increases sales of  the  book.
We  have  a  lot  of  evidence  now that the same is true of recorded
music.  But we don't know if this will be true of printed  music.   I
suspect  it will be true only for "good" printed music.  For example,
musicians will stop buying books that won't lie flat on  their  music
stand.   And  a  good,  readable  layout  on  the  page will increase
purchases.  Printed music that's not "good"  such  ways  will  mostly
result  in musicians just using the electronic form, reformatting and
printing single pages on their own.

| George, please keep up the good work.

If we encourage friends to buy his book, maybe he'll be encouraged. I
know of a few people who have bought one after I showed them my copy.
But it's not easy to get here in the US.  I wonder if we could get it
into amazon's listings?

--
What if the Hoky Poky really IS what it's all about?
seonaid.gent

seonaid.gent

Dec. 8, 2006, 12:35 a.m. (Message 47436, in reply to message 47385)

A little story to illustrate how useful Originally Ours can be.

  I tend to make up David's folder of original tunes for dances.  A
  couple of weeks ago I was doing one for a group which has a regular
  series of dances.  I made up the programme and put it in David's
  case and we went away to the dance.

  David set up his equipment, then pulled out his music.  He looked at
  the programme for the night and looked through his music and asked
  me where the music was for "The Frisky" (the first dance that
  night).  I thought "I don't remember that being on the programme",
  so had a look at the programme.  I had managed to make up the
  programme for the dance four weeks after the one that David was
  playing for.

  Luckily, he keeps his copy of Originally Ours in his music case, so
  we were able to dance most of the dances to the correct music.

  I think he has just about forgiven me now, but there were some
  daggers being thrown from the stage that night!!!

  So thanks George, it is a great resource.

  Seonaid
  Markinch, Fife

 The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email
 address from your Internet provider.
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Dec. 8, 2006, 9:24 a.m. (Message 47442, in reply to message 47436)

Tell David to double check programmes or give you the correct ones - or hire
a secretary.>)

Pia