Naming of bands on music

ron.mackey

Dec. 1, 2006, 12:28 a.m. (Message 47227)

>Just a few years ago
> it was quite common for Country Dance Diaries to be printed without listing
> the bands playing!  I queried this once (I think it was actually on an RSCDS
> site) and was told there wasn´t room for that information!  That´s the first
> thing I´d want to know before I went to a dance.  An RSCDS branch has
> recently brought out a CD with one of Scotland´s top dance bands providing
> the music - and nowhere on the cover does it say who is playing!  All this
> does tend to suggest that to many Country Dancers steps and technique are
> more important than the music.

	There are many RSCDS tapes & CDs where one has to search to
find the name of the band.   Records often had a picture of the band on the
front but, even with them it was sometimes necessary to lookat the back of
the sleeve to see which band had made the recording.
	Could it be that so many of the RSCDS Hierarchy are RSCDS class
teachers and are so used to teaching with a musician when most of the rest
of us think of the bands on the canned music that we dance to?
:)
Happy Dancing
Ron  :)

London, Croydon and International Branches
George Meikle

George Meikle

Dec. 4, 2006, 1:46 p.m. (Message 47270, in reply to message 47227)

Ron Mackay wrote:-

> There are many RSCDS tapes & CDs where one has to search to
> find the name of the band.   Records often had a picture of
> the band on the front but, even with them it was sometimes
> necessary to look at the back of the sleeve to see which band
> had made the recording.

> Could it be that so many of the RSCDS Hierarchy are RSCDS class
> teachers and are so used to teaching with a musician when most
> of the rest of us think of the bands on the canned music that we
> dance to?Ron,

Ron,
When I was elected on to the Membership Services Committee last year I took
on the job of co-ordinating the new RSCDS recordings and I can assure you
that all new CD's do have the band name on the front cover. Off the top of
my head I can only think of a couple of older CD's which had no mention of
the band but that was due to the fact they were compilation albums with
tracks from several bands. The standard layout that we use nowadays for the
CD graphics has the band name very prominently displayed alongside the RSCDS
crown on the front cover. As a musician, (and definitely not a class
teacher!), I can assure you that this is something I will certainly ensure
happens over the period I am doing the CD's.

I should point out that I am talking about official RSCDS Headquarters
recordings and not those produced by various branches around the world.

There has also been some talk recently about one particular branch's
recording, made by a very well known band, which omitted the band name from
the front cover. My understanding of this was that because the branch in
question had received some form of funding (lottery or otherwise) for the
production of the CD, it was thought that there could have been some problem
as regards making the CD look too commercial, hence why the band name was
omitted. The information I was given could well have been wrong but it
certainly gives an understandable explanation as to why the name was
omitted. Maybe somebody from the branch in question could answer this point?

Kind regards
George
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

Dec. 5, 2006, 12:41 a.m. (Message 47310, in reply to message 47227)

In a message dated 12/4/2006 5:30:06 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
xxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx writes:

There  has also been some talk recently about one particular branch's
recording,  made by a very well known band, which omitted the band name from
the front  cover. My understanding of this was that because the branch in
question had  received some form of funding (lottery or otherwise) for the
production of  the CD, it was thought that there could have been some problem
as regards  making the CD look too commercial, hence why the band name was
omitted.

I believe this could happen.  Some time ago I was involved in a  project of
collecting and transcribing the repertoire of an elderly Quebecois  fiddler.
The sponsors of the project refused to put my name, and that of  my
collaborator, on the front cover because we did not meet some sort of  educational
qualifications.  You may be sure that after the first printing  was finished and the
sponsoring group had ceased to exist, we put our names on  the cover of the
2nd edition.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
ron.mackey

ron.mackey

Dec. 5, 2006, 11:18 p.m. (Message 47337, in reply to message 47310)

On 4 Dec 2006 at 18:41, xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

  You may be sure that after the first printing  was finished and the
> sponsoring group had ceased to exist, we put our names on  the cover of the
> 2nd edition.
> Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

	As my Dad used to say, 'everyone deserves a pat on the head when
they do well and a smack on the head when they don't'!