Birmingham Diamond Jubilee Dance Book 1946-2006

George Meikle

George Meikle

July 3, 2006, 10:05 a.m. (Message 45713)

Strathspeyers may be interested to know that the RSCDS (Birmingham Branch)
have just released a new book of dances called 'Diamond Jubilee Dance Book -
1946-2006' which contains 15 dances, most of them new releases, devised by
branch members and/or dancers from the Midlands area. Also included are 2
Anna Holden dances.

An accompanying CD, featuring myself and the Lothian Dance Band should be
available in the next few days.

Dance                                             Bars
Deviser

Langleys Road                                8 x 32 Jig
Gillian Jennings

The Outer Circle                               8 x 48 Reel
Kenneth Reid

Cannadine Strathspey                      4 x 32 Strathspey
Anna Holden

The Physician's Fancy                     8 x 32 Jig
Ron Bradbury

St Andrews Roundabout                  4 x 32 Reel - (2 chords)
John Knight

Furth O' Clyde                                 3 x 32 Strathspey
Anna Holden

The Chocolate Factory                     4 x 32 Jig
Gillian Jennings

New Dixon Quadrille                        4 x 32 Reel
Frances Richardson

And Happy Meet Again                    4 x 32 Strathspey
Ron Bradbury

The Grumpy Gentleman                   8 x 32 Jig
Gillian Jennings

The Floosie in the Jacuzzi                2 x 48 Reel
Gillian Jennings

Anita's Dance                                  5 x 32 Strathspey
Keith Hohenkerk

South Street Harborne                     8 x 32 Jig
Kenneth Reid

The Jewellery Quarter                       4 x 32 Reel - (2 chords)
Gillian Jennings

Second City Strathspey                   8 x 32 Strathspey
Gillian Jennings

Further details can be obtained from Birmingham Branch or myself.

George Meikle
Rebecca Sager

Rebecca Sager

July 3, 2006, 2:49 p.m. (Message 45714, in reply to message 45713)

I danced with Gill Jennings' Sutton Coldfield class last September and
had a great evening. She's an excellent teacher. One of the dances
that evening was her "Floosie in the Jacuzzi" (I would spell it
Floozie or Floozy, but what do Americans know?) It was a lot of fun,
glad to see it, and several of her other dances, in print.
Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

-- "George Meikle" <xxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
[...]

Helen Beaney

Helen Beaney

July 3, 2006, 5:56 p.m. (Message 45715, in reply to message 45713)

George,

  Do you happen to know the origin of the dance name 'The Floosie in the Jacuzzi' ?

  It is the nickname for a Dublin sculpture which was moved from
  O'Connell Street to make way for the tram lines, so if the dance
  represents this, I'd better get hold of it to teach to the Dublin
  class when we start again after the summer.

  Helen
  Dublin
  International Branch

    Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 09:05:37 +0100
From: "George Meikle"
Subject: Birmingham Diamond Jubilee Dance Book 1946-2006

Strathspeyers may be interested to know that the RSCDS (Birmingham
Branch) have just released a new book of dances ...

including

The Floosie in the Jacuzzi 2 x 48 Reel
Gillian Jennings

---------------------------------
 All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity
 and ease of use." - PC Magazine
Alasdair Graham

Alasdair Graham

July 3, 2006, 6:11 p.m. (Message 45716, in reply to message 45715)

As this is a 'Birmingham booklet' I suspect the 'Floosie' referred to is
their very own.
See http://www.poetrysociety.org.uk/news/birm.htm third paragraph.

Alasdair Graham,
Dumbarton, Scotland.
George Meikle

George Meikle

July 4, 2006, 1:36 a.m. (Message 45720, in reply to message 45715)

Helen,

I can confirm that the dance was actually written for the Birmingham
'Floosie' and not the Dublin one. Her picture appears on the front cover of
both the CD and the book. It must be the first time ever that a Scottish
Country Dance book features a picture of a nude woman on the front cover -
just a pity she has turned to stone!!!

Kind regards
George

Helen Beaney wrote:-

> George,
>
>  Do you happen to know the origin of the dance name 'The Floosie in
>  Jacuzzi' ?
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

July 3, 2006, 7:05 p.m. (Message 45717, in reply to message 45713)

In a message dated 7/3/2006 12:13:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
xxxxxxxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx writes:

As this  is a 'Birmingham booklet' I suspect the 'Floosie' referred to is
their  very own.
See http://www.poetrysociety.org.uk/news/birm.htm third  paragraph.

On the other hand there are 3 statues/sculptures in Dublin with catchy
nicknames: The tart with the cart, The prick with the stick, and The floozie in
the jacuzzi.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
Margaret Lambourne

Margaret Lambourne

July 3, 2006, 7:10 p.m. (Message 45718, in reply to message 45713)

George,

Will these be available at Summer School? This will make it easier for
some to purchase it there than through the post.

Margaret
George Meikle

George Meikle

July 4, 2006, 1:41 a.m. (Message 45721, in reply to message 45718)

Margaret,

I will certainly have books with me at Summer School and copies of the CD -
providing I receive copies in time from the factory.

Kind regards
George Meikle
Mland121

Mland121

July 4, 2006, 12:50 a.m. (Message 45719, in reply to message 45713)

George

Would you be so kind as to inform those of us interested in purchasing, not
only the book of dances, but the CD (when available) of the correct contact at
 the Birmingham Branch?

Many thanks,
Moonyeen Weiss
Houston & District Branch