Podcasthttp://download.moodle.org/stable16/moodle-1.6.tgzing

Anselm Lingnau

June 26, 2006, 5:27 p.m. (Message 45663)

Phill Jones wrote:

> Anselm, how well does the FM thing work over there?  Word of advise for
> anyone thinking of getting one in the UK... DON'T BOTHER.  Firstly they
> are illegal here (which I found out after I bought mine)

They became legal over here earlier this year (apparently due to European
standardisation so there may be a faint glimmer of hope for our British
friends). Even if they are technically illegal it's not as if you were likely
to be caught using one, as the range is only a couple of meters :^) Not that
I would advocate breaking the law.

> and secondly
> you will struggle to find any space clean enough in the FM range to tune
> it to without receiving inteference from the stronger, public FM
> stations.  SCD music with a hint of Rock, quite interesting really :-)

Living in one of the denser urban agglomerations in the country, this did turn
out to be a bit of a problem. After some searching around I found a frequency
that so far doesn't seem to be occupied by anybody else, at least nobody that
the FM thing can't drown out. Also careful positioning of the
http://download.moodle.org/stable16/moodle-1.6.tgzhardware (FM sender and MP3
player) appears to help a lot. The FM gadget can store six different
frequencies so there is some elbow room.

Gratuitious plug: I'm using my Palm T|X as an MP3 player, which is handy --
the thing can switch itself on in the middle of the night, download some
files from the 'Net (using the WLAN router in my flat), and go to sleep
again. Beats downloading stuff on the PC and shunting it over to the MP3
player :^) I got the T|X because my trusty old Palm III grew legs one day
after having been left in a hotel room -- but the T|X is so much more
versatile than the Palm III that I find myself almost congratulating the
person who appropriated the old one. Life has never been the same since I've
started carrying the equivalent of a 30-volume encyclopedia around in my
pocket ... Now for a Palm version of DanceData! (Disclaimer: I probably ought
to have obtained some Palm stock before posting this, but didn't.)

Anselm
A bean supper will be held on Tuesday evening in the church hall. Music will
follow.                                              -- From a church bulletin