The 51st Country Dance (Laufen Reel), also known as St Valery' s Reel

John Clark

John Clark

July 27, 2005, 11:51 p.m. (Message 41822)

Good morning from Canberra

Does anyone have the steps for the original 5-couple dance "The 51st
Country Dance (Laufen Reel)", also known as "St Valery' s Reel", which
was devised in a German POW camp and later modified to be the 4-couple
"Reel of the 51st Division"?

John Clark
Canberra & District Branch
Royal Scottish Country Dance Society
Brian Charlton

Brian Charlton

July 28, 2005, 1:51 a.m. (Message 41823, in reply to message 41822)

G'Day, John from Sydney!

The description of the dance written 'on a scruffy bit of paper when
he was a prisoner of war' read as follows:
5 set 51 Division
1-4 First couple set & cast off 3 places
5-8 Lead up to (top?) to corners
9-12 First couple set to first corner, turning by right
13-14 First couple, second man & third lady balance in a diagonal line
(Scottish Reform)
15-16 First couple turn left hand to second corners
17-20 First couple set & turn corners by right hand
21-22 First couple, third man and second lady balance in a diagonal
line (Scottish Reform)
23-24 First couple turn to own side, second place
25-28 Six Hands round
29-32 Back Again
Repeat

The dance was devised by Lt J E M Atkinson and his name is also on the
'scruffy bit of paper'.

This is taken from the re-issue of Book 13 by the Society in 1999.
There is no description of steps.

Brian Charlton
Sydney, Australia
John Clark

John Clark

July 28, 2005, 7:48 a.m. (Message 41824, in reply to message 41823)

Brian

Many thanks.

I vaguely recall that when I was in Fiji we used to start with both
1st and  3rd couples as dancing couples ,  4th and 5th couples stepped
up as the 3s cast off, then the new  couple in 3rd place had a dual
role as corners for both dancing couples.   The 1st couple were
dancing couple three times.

In the version you cite, were  the 1st couple dancing couple three times?

John
larryorr@att.net

larryorr@att.net

July 28, 2005, 3:15 p.m. (Message 41828, in reply to message 41822)

I've never heard this dance called "Laufen Reel" or "St. Valery's
Reel." The original choreographers were probably held at Oflag VII-C,
a POW camp for officers, at Laufen, Bavaria, following the debacle at
St. Valery-en-Caux in 1940.

-------------- Original message from "John Clark"
<xxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx.xx>: --------------
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Aug. 1, 2005, 10:28 a.m. (Message 41842, in reply to message 41822)

xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

> I've never heard this dance called "Laufen Reel" or "St. Valery's Reel."
> The original choreographers were probably held at Oflag VII-C, a POW camp
> for officers, at Laufen, Bavaria, following the debacle at St.
> Valery-en-Caux in 1940.

The dance was originally called »The 51st Country Dance (Laufen Reel)« and
went through a succession of monikers (including »The St Valéry Reel«) before
acquiring today's title.

I wrote up some notes on the history of the Reel of the 51st Divison at

  http://my.strathspey.org/anselm/stories/reelofthe51st.html

The information comes from earlier Strathspey postings (most notably from
Harry Ways and Alan Mair) as well as other web pages.

Regarding John Clark's query, I don't think that the original 51st Country
Dance used the couples-1-and-3-start method, the approach having fallen into
disuse. It is fairly straightforward to modify the Reel of the 51st
Division's choreography for a 5-couple dance, Black-Mountain-Reel style, with
1s and 3s starting simultaneously, but of course 1st couple will only dance
twice through (once from 1st place, once from 3rd place).

Anselm
Emacs can do anything ... just ask it.                             -- Rob Pike
larryorr@att.net

larryorr@att.net

Aug. 1, 2005, 3:37 p.m. (Message 41843, in reply to message 41822)

This is a fascinating article.

It's obvious that the Germans who ran the Oflag did not understand
Scottish culture, in that they allowed a dance that prominently
features the saltire--a Scottish patriotic symbol--and concludes with
a victory circle to be created under their noses.

I also find of interest the description of  how  "The Reel of the 51st
Division"  found its way to Scotland, where it becane popular during
the remainder of WWII.

Larry Orr

La habra, Calif.

-------------- Original message from Anselm Lingnau
<xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>: --------------
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

Aug. 1, 2005, 4:55 p.m. (Message 41846, in reply to message 41822)

Larry Orr writes of the Reel of the 51st:

>(it) concludes with a victory circle.
What _victory_ circle? The wartime symbol for Victory was 'V' which is why
that is on the cover of Book 13. Peter Oliver liked the circle at the end of
Hamilton House so it went into the brew.

As for the variations in the name, a summary of some of the these is given
in my article in the most recent Bulletin.

Getting the instructions to Scotland was difficult - yes. The wartime
censors of any country were not about to allow through something they did
not understand, hence Tom Harris Hunter's arrangment of a demonstration.
There are plenty of stories of POWs (both sides) facing aggressive
questioning about knitting patterns.

However, the tendency for this dance to generate new and ever more abstruse
myths continues to fascinate and amuse me - keep them coming.

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland
larryorr@att.net

larryorr@att.net

Aug. 1, 2005, 8:49 p.m. (Message 41848, in reply to message 41822)

What  victory circle? The wartime symbol for Victory was 'V.'

A dance instructor once explained to me that a circle figure often
symbolizes a celebration of  victory, success, etc. A quickie Internet
search indicates that circular figures in dances have been used in
many cultures to celebrate victory over an enemy, probably since
prehistoric times.

Larry Orr

La Habra, Calif.
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Aug. 2, 2005, 1:07 a.m. (Message 41850, in reply to message 41822)

xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:

> A dance instructor once explained to me that a circle figure often
> symbolizes a celebration of  victory, success, etc. A quickie Internet
> search indicates that circular figures in dances have been used in many
> cultures to celebrate victory over an enemy, probably since prehistoric
> times.

This sounds eminently plausible in the general case, but my take on this is
that many country dances (not just the Reel of the 51st) end with a circle
not because some victory or success needs to be celebrated but because it is
a simple, exuberant figure that gives the set a great sense of
»togetherness«.

But then again, maybe that in itself *is* a success to be celebrated?

Anselm
There's no workman, whatsoever he be/That may both work well and hastily.
                                                           -- Geoffrey Chaucer
larryorr@att.net

larryorr@att.net

Aug. 2, 2005, 4:26 a.m. (Message 41851, in reply to message 41822)

"...the tendency for this dance to generate new and ever more abstruse
myths continues to fascinate and amuse me - keep them coming."

I'll do just that.

When I was in high school, a history teacher told us that all members
of the 51st Division were executed after they surrendered at
Dunkerque.

Incidentally, when I first learned the dance, the instructor told us
that it originated during World War I.

-------------- Original message from "Jim Healy" <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx>: --------------