3X jig

Susan McKinnell

Feb. 12, 2005, 8:15 p.m. (Message 40626)

All this talk of 3X quicktime dances reminds me that an honorary member
of our
dance group composed a 3X32 jig for his 88th birthday.
You can view the dance instructions at
http://suedan.com/scd/silk_and_thistle/george/my88.html
Sue McKinnell (Silk & Thistle class of the Chicago Branch, USA)

--
Susan McKinnell        xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx         http://suedan.com

"A house without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted, and properly
revered cat, may be a perfect house, perhaps, but how can it prove
its title?"
- Mark Twain, The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson
Timothy Wilson

Timothy Wilson

Feb. 12, 2005, 9:14 p.m. (Message 40628, in reply to message 40626)

Hi all,

With all of this discussion, it seems an opportune time to collect a number
of these together and publish a book of 3x dances called "The Third Time's
the Charm."

I'll throw my hat in the ring as well. Here's a link to a 3x32 jig I wrote
for our class teacher Bruce Herbold's birthday last year. I hope you'll
enjoy giving it a try.

http://www.rscds-sf.org/dances/ElusiveMuse.htm

Cheers,
Tim Wilson
San Francisco, CA USA
Rebecca Sager

Rebecca Sager

Feb. 13, 2005, 4:13 a.m. (Message 40640, in reply to message 40626)

Two matters arise from this posting - 1) seeing on the web link the
devisers recommendation of Bonnie Anne as music reminds me of the 3x32
jig I have taught most often to beginners, Martha Veranth's dance Trip
to Boston. I've always used Schiehallion's Bonnie Anne recording for
that.
2) George Whitehorne is a Long-Term member of the Atlanta Branch. He
renewed his Long-Term membership at the age of 85 (the RSCDS had
actually stopped accepting LT members at that point but made a special
exception in his case)On more than one occasion George has made
donations to enable a deserving dancer to attend one of our workshops
in his stead.

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

-- Susan McKinnell <xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
All this talk of 3X quicktime dances reminds me that an honorary member
of our
dance group composed a 3X32 jig for his 88th birthday.
You can view the dance instructions at
http://suedan.com/scd/silk_and_thistle/george/my88.html
Sue McKinnell (Silk & Thistle class of the Chicago Branch, USA)

--
Susan McKinnell        xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx         http://suedan.com

"A house without a cat, and a well-fed, well-petted, and properly
revered cat, may be a perfect house, perhaps, but how can it prove
its title?"
- Mark Twain, The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson
Rebecca Sager

Rebecca Sager

Feb. 20, 2005, 12:14 a.m. (Message 40731, in reply to message 40626)

What a terrific dance! I introduced it to our intermediate dancers on
Thursday evening and it worked like a charm. There's so much good
stuff in it - the tandem half reels, the turning under the arm to
change sides maneuver (do we need a snappy name for that?) and set and
link for three. Very good return on the effort put in, which was just
walking it straight through for each couple, it flows so intuitively.
 Thank you Tim! You did Bruce proud!

Becky

Becky Sager
Marietta GA USA

-- "Timothy Wilson" <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:

I'll throw my hat in the ring as well. Here's a link to a 3x32 jig I wrote
for our class teacher Bruce Herbold's birthday last year. I hope you'll
enjoy giving it a try.

http://www.rscds-sf.org/dances/ElusiveMuse.htm

Cheers,
Tim Wilson
San Francisco, CA USA
Steve Wyrick

Steve Wyrick

Feb. 20, 2005, 7:53 p.m. (Message 40738, in reply to message 40731)

We always call that a California Turn.  I think that comes from the Contra
Dance tradition but I'm not sure. -Steve

--
Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California
Iain Boyd

Iain Boyd

Feb. 20, 2005, 10:39 p.m. (Message 40740, in reply to message 40738)

It is also done in square dancing where it is called a
'California twirl' - at least, it was when I was doing
square dancing.

Iain Boyd

 --- Steve Wyrick <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxx> wrote:
> We always call that a California Turn.  I think that
> comes from the Contra
> Dance tradition but I'm not sure. -Steve
>

> Becky Sager wrote:
>
> > the turning under the arm to change sides maneuver
> (do we need a snappy name
> > for that?)
>
> --
> Steve Wyrick -- Concord, California

http://au.movies.yahoo.com
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

Feb. 21, 2005, 3:15 a.m. (Message 40741, in reply to message 40626)

Steve is correct, a turn under the arm is a California twirl.  Also  there is
another type of turn under the arm that is called Box the Gnat.   These terms
come from western style square dancing but have been recently used  in the
contra dance world.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USE