Ladies chain

RON TAYLOR

Jan. 21, 2002, 11:37 a.m. (Message 29185)

I have had a pivate exchange of emial with another person who tells me
that the topic of Ladie Chain was discussed a few years ago - and
opinion is divided.

If the dance is done excatly in accordance with the Manual if both men
dance to the ladies place (exactly, not slightly) and both ladies
cross diagonally the the turn with the left hand hand has to be tight
and ugly.

If however the ladies on bar 2 dance towards the mens place then you
get a nice wide sweeping turn with the left hand and the whole figure
looks so much nicer.

Ron
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Jan. 21, 2002, 12:46 p.m. (Message 29186, in reply to message 29185)

RON TAYLOR wrote:

> I have had a pivate exchange of emial with another person who tells me
> that the topic of Ladie Chain was discussed a few years ago - and
> opinion is divided.

Sounds familiar.

> If the dance is done excatly in accordance with the Manual if both men
> dance to the ladies place (exactly, not slightly) and both ladies cross
> diagonally the the turn with the left hand hand has to be tight and
> ugly.

Does anyone really ever do this? Is it REALLY written so in the Manual?

> If however the ladies on bar 2 dance towards the mens place then you get
> a nice wide sweeping turn with the left hand and the whole figure looks
> so much nicer.

MY pet theory is that one should aim for a position which would result
in the axis of turn (the joined hands) be over the ladies' starting
positions. How you get there should not need to be spelt out :-)

So are there now three opinions?

Alan
Leslie Henderson

Leslie Henderson

Jan. 21, 2002, 7:38 p.m. (Message 29192, in reply to message 29186)

> MY pet theory is that one should aim...

and MY pet theory is that the figure really seems to sort of just work
itself out.  If you (as a lady) stick out the appropriate hand, and the
gentleman in question sort-of circles in place (vamp 'till ready), then
all will be ready to do what is required at the appropriate time.

I don't know what it says in the manual, but this works for me.

Of course I had Di for a teacher.  What more is there?

Leslie

=====
Leslie Hastings
of Edinburgh UK

*NEW* personal web page address:
http://www.geocities.com/leslie_hastings
Skagit Scottish Country Dancers:
http://www.skagitscd.org
Oberdan Otto

Oberdan Otto

Jan. 22, 2002, 12:36 a.m. (Message 29199, in reply to message 29186)

>MY pet theory is that one should aim for a position which would result
>in the axis of turn (the joined hands) be over the ladies' starting
>positions. How you get there should not need to be spelt out :-)
>
>So are there now three opinions?
>
>Alan

Of all the ones given so far, this description comes closest to what
the Manual says. If you think it says something else, I suggest you
cosey up with the Manual for a while. What the Manual says (as
distinguished from what one teaches or dances) is not a area of
personal preference. If you claim to be teaching RSCDS style, then it
is important know what that style is!

The other version being described (with men dancing into ladies
places and ladies dancing into men's places at the end of 2 bars) is
the way I originally learned the figure and is consistent with an
older version of "Won't you Join the Dance" which states that "men
dance INTO ladies positions". A later version changed that to "men
dance TOWARD ladies positions". Then there is the current Manual
which is similar to the latter.

As for my personal preference, I think the current version is an
unfortunate complication of what used to be a very clean and
symmetrical figure. The problem with the new form is that you cannot
use set lines as a teaching/phrasing aid. For a very long time I was
angry about the change because the Manual did not help me by
providing new phrasing markers. But, eventually I happened upon a
simple and effective phrasing method: at the end of bars 2 and 6 all
dancers should be making a diagonal between the original ladies
positions. Now that I feel I can teach it, it is no longer an
emotional issue for me.

Cheers, Oberdan.

184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
Martin.Sheffield

Martin.Sheffield

Jan. 22, 2002, 9:46 a.m. (Message 29207, in reply to message 29199)

Oberdan wrote:

>... a simple and effective phrasing method: at the end of bars 2 and 6 all
>dancers should be making a diagonal between the original ladies positions.

So after "men should dance INTO ladies' places" followed by "men should
dance TOWARD ladies' places" , are you now suggesting "men should dance way
beyond ladies' places?"

I hope the next edition of the Manual will also tell us how the men should
get back elegantly into their own places at the end of the phrase, and what
the ladies should do on the last two bars, since the above method brings
them home on bar 6.

Using the diagonal pattern is, of course, the easy way out for teachers,
who no longer have to insist on a nicely shaped pattern within the set and
avoid the difficulty of persuading ladies to turn on bars 1-2 instead of
simply passing each other by with a brief handshake.

Martin
in Grenoble, France
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/index.htm
Bruce Gentles

Bruce Gentles

Jan. 22, 2002, 10:59 a.m. (Message 29212, in reply to message 29207)

> I hope the next edition of the Manual will also tell us how the men should
> get back elegantly into their own places at the end of the phrase, and
what
> the ladies should do on the last two bars, since the above method brings
> them home on bar 6.

No it doesn't. They are still in a diagonal line and need to do approx 3/4
LH turn to return to original positions.

> Using the diagonal pattern is, of course, the easy way out for teachers,
> who no longer have to insist on a nicely shaped pattern within the set and
> avoid the difficulty of persuading ladies to turn on bars 1-2 instead of
> simply passing each other by with a brief handshake.

Sorry, again I disagree. It is actually more difficult to teach the diagonal
pattern, because it is more difficult to dance. Having tried teaching it as
in the manual, I now ask the ladies to turn further (but state that I am
deviating from what the manual states) - although I will sometimes ask the
class to dance it as in the manual first, so they are aware of the
difference.

Kate
Cambridge, UK
Oberdan Otto

Oberdan Otto

Jan. 23, 2002, 9:19 a.m. (Message 29235, in reply to message 29207)

>Oberdan wrote:
>
>>... a simple and effective phrasing method: at the end of bars 2
>>and 6 all dancers should be making a diagonal between the original
>>ladies positions.
>
>So after "men should dance INTO ladies' places" followed by "men
>should dance TOWARD ladies' places" , are you now suggesting "men
>should dance way beyond ladies' places?"

Well, as much as I dislike advocating the "new" ladies' chain...

No, not "way beyond", but not "into" either. The men dance toward the
ladies' starting position so that they can comfortably join left
hands with the ladies to begin the turn. Making a momentary diagonal
through the ladies' starting positions (like a balance in line) is a
way of controlling the formation so it is not the vague mish-mash
that is described in the Manual.

>I hope the next edition of the Manual will also tell us how the men
>should get back elegantly into their own places at the end of the
>phrase, and what the ladies should do on the last two bars, since
>the above method brings them home on bar 6.

No, they have to turn the men before they arrive back in place. On
bar 6 they are close to but not at their ending positions. The last
half turn is not about a single position--it must drift toward the
mens' ending positions. Don't thank me for this weirdness, thank
Duncan MacLeod.

I don't remember exactly when the transition occurred--it was 15-20
years ago. I remember that period especially because while I was
visiting at the Asylomar weekend, a number of newly examined teachers
were commenting rather aggressively about how a lot of people (which
included me) were dancing the formation incorrectly. I distinctly
remember wondering why it was necessary to change the figure and who
was responsible. I speculated then that someone high up messed up in
public and covered up the mess-up by making it the new official
version. I was particularly incensed that I had to learn about this
change through newly examined teacher candidates who had been taught
it by the examiners. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the seemingly
random and capricious way in which RSCDS then operated and whether
this was an organization deserving of my continued support.
Fortunately, my love of the dance overcame my political misgivings. I
like to believe that the RSCDS is different now, but I don't see any
moves toward undoing some of the stupid mistakes of the past.

>Using the diagonal pattern is, of course, the easy way out for
>teachers, who no longer have to insist on a nicely shaped pattern
>within the set and avoid the difficulty of persuading ladies to turn
>on bars 1-2 instead of simply passing each other by with a brief
>handshake.

I would much rather train the ladies in how to do the old version of
the ladies' chain. However, my dancers do travel to other places,
including places where the dancers "tut, tut" at you down their noses
when you don't do things by the book. So I make sure they know how to
dance by the book. From time to time I take my dancers on a trip
through time and show them how figures like ladies' chain and
strathspey poussette were danced in times past. I am thinking of
making a point of rounding up some of Iain Boyd's dances (hi Iain!)
containing ladies' chain to have added rationale for showing the
lovely old method.

Cheers, Oberdan.

184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
e.ferguson

e.ferguson

Jan. 22, 2002, 10:37 a.m. (Message 29208, in reply to message 29186)

On 21 Jan 2002 at 12:46, Alan Paterson wrote:

> MY pet theory is that one should aim for a position which would result
> in the axis of turn (the joined hands) be over the ladies' starting
> positions. How you get there should not need to be spelt out :-)
>
> So are there now three opinions?

I have often heard this statement ("the axis of the turn is a pole in
the Woman's place"), but I do not understand how it is meant to work.
Let us look at the turns in detail.  [To avoid the irrelevant side-
issues of the start and of polite turns, I assume that the men start
and finish facing out.]

At the start of bar 1 and the end of bar 8, all should be in the
starting positions (2C opposite sides, both men facing out)

Both for beauty and ease of dancing, the figure should consist of two
identically shaped half ladies chains.  Therefore all are in the same
four places (with the Women interchanged) at the start of bar 5.

How should one make the turns on bars 3-4 and 7-8?

-  all start bar 3 & 7 with hands joined in a W place ("on the pole").

-  all finish bars 4 & 8 by droppping hands, at that moment joined half
way between the M and W places.  So the "centre point" has moved.

-  The M makes a big loop on the sideline, from one arm's length beyond
the W place to the M place (diameter about 3 arm lengths).

-  The W makes only a small loop, from one arm's length from the W
place to the W place (diameter one arm length).

I cannot see how this turn with "shifting centre", and with the M
taking far longer steps than the W, can ever be elegant.

Can someone explain how this version is meant to be danced?

In all other figures, we are always taught that in turns the joined
hands should NOT move.

My own preference is for the version described by Ian Boyd.  But I
would gladly dance (the) other version(s) too, if asked, if only I
understood how.

Eric

--
Eric T. Ferguson, van Dormaalstraat 15, NL-5624 KH  EINDHOVEN,
Netherlands

Oberdan Otto

Jan. 23, 2002, 9:23 a.m. (Message 29237, in reply to message 29208)

>[Eric:]
>I cannot see how this turn with "shifting centre", and with the M
>taking far longer steps than the W, can ever be elegant.
>
>Can someone explain how this version is meant to be danced?
>
>In all other figures, we are always taught that in turns the joined
>hands should NOT move.

For several years, this was exactly how I felt.

The "make a diagonal" (at the end of bars 2 and 6, as in a balance in
line) method I described is NOT in the Manual. It was my answer for
removing the vagueness from the figure while still being consistent
with the Manual.

As for turns not drifting in all other formations, I am pretty sure
that is not correct. One example that pops to mind is the new version
of the strathspey poussette, in which the turns must drift to form
the diagonals. Interestingly, in the original version of strathspey
poussette, the turns did not drift.

I wonder if drifting turns come from people messing up what used to
be very nice, symmetrical figures? ;))

Cheers, Oberdan.

184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
Volleyballjerry

Volleyballjerry

Jan. 21, 2002, 6:05 p.m. (Message 29189, in reply to message 29185)

I suppose that I need to review exactly what the manual states (it's not
immediately at hand, and I'm too lazy to go to the car to get it), but it's a
reality of physics (at least my conventional lay-person's physics) that two
bodies cannot occupy the same space at the same time, so at the end of bar
two a man and a woman cannot both be in the woman's place, and if they are
both approximately so, it makes, as has just been stated, an ugly tight
figure.  I have always taught ladies' chain such that the man makes a half
circle (or curve) to exactly the woman's initial position and the women,
after taking and releasing hands head exactly to men's initial positions;
then on bars 3-4 the non-partners turn to exactly exchange places, this all
repeated similarly on bars 5-8.  (The man essentially makes two complete
circles, moving through his and his partner's position every two bars, each
half-circle.)

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Andrew Buxton

Andrew Buxton

Jan. 21, 2002, 6:15 p.m. (Message 29190, in reply to message 29185)

Robb Quint wrote:
	(The man essentially makes two complete circles, moving through
his and his partner's position every two bars, each
	half-circle.)

	"Rugby footballs" is how I've heard the man's track described.
I suppose one could alternatively say "ovals".

	Andrew Buxton
	Brighton
Martin.Sheffield

Martin.Sheffield

Jan. 21, 2002, 2:18 p.m. (Message 29193, in reply to message 29185)

Ron wrote:

>If however the ladies on bar 2 dance towards the mens place then you get a
>nice wide sweeping turn with the left hand and the whole figure looks so
>much nicer.

Hear, hear !
(Forgive me this once)
That's the way I like to see it done.

Martin
in Grenoble, France
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/index.htm
Fyreladdie

Fyreladdie

Jan. 21, 2002, 8:25 p.m. (Message 29194, in reply to message 29185)

In a message dated 1/21/02 11:19:00 AM, xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx writes:

<<
Hear, hear !
(Forgive me this once)
That's the way I like to see it done.

Here, Here! And I'll raise you an Amen!
Not to be flip, but I do enjoy watching the flow of a dance and I feel that
some things are more interpretive, than hard fast rules. I believe it was
Miss Millgan, herself, who said that she would prefer the dancing to be less
ridged and rule bound. It is supposed to be fun and look good too.

Bob Mc Murtry
Felton, Calif
RON TAYLOR

RON TAYLOR

Jan. 22, 2002, 9:01 a.m. (Message 29206, in reply to message 29194)

Well the consensus of opinion appears to be that the Manual description of
Ladies Chain is not the way people prefer it or have indded learnt it. H
owever it is Bobs response which I really teake to heart - Miss Milligan's
comment that
the interpretation of dances be less rigid; as previously commented we do
dances by tradition or by custom and these may in fact vary fro place to
place.
I continue to believe that the RSCDS examiners should not be rigid in theire
interpretation of movements, one think I most dislike is going to a dance
and hearing people "tut tutting" because one dance has just happened to do
something slightly differant. So let's all  learn to dance, read the manual
for guidance and then put it on the bottom  shelf and restore SCD to it's
social nature
Ron
Iain Boyd and Noeline O'Connor

Iain Boyd and Noeline O'Connor

Jan. 21, 2002, 11:19 p.m. (Message 29195, in reply to message 29185)

Greetings All,

I was not going to enter this discussion - for two reasons -

    1.  I have very strong views as to how this figure should be performed

and 2.  There are just as many who have a contrary view and will not be
        convinced.

However, I feel it is about time that someone stood up and stated how this figure
really should be danced in a _Scottish Country Dance_ context.

The form now current (ie. with the turn on the corner in the women's original positions)
is based on written descriptions of the formation as it was performed in quadrilles
and similar non-Scottish dances (see the description reproduced on page 11 of RSCDS
Book 34). This is also the form still used in modern American square dancing.

What needs to be taken into account is that this formation was originally performed
using walking steps _not_ skip change of step or strathspey travelling step.

Note also that in modern square dancing (and in contra dancing and, I think, in English
country dancing) the turn is on the spot and the man assists the woman round by placing
his right arm around the woman' waist. (The description in Book 34 suggests that
the turn is on the spot.)

However, I would suggest (in fact, I would state) that this is _not_ how the figure
should be performed in _modern_ Scottish country dancing.

When I first started dancing in the late 1950s the teachers, newly emigrated from
Scotland, taught the Ladies' Chain as follows -

   Assuming normal starting positions with second couple on opposite sides -

   1-2  The men dance along the side-lines with a shallow loop into the
        place vacated by the woman originally beside them
        while
        the women turn with right hands three-quarters round to finish
        on the side-lines in the place vacated by the man originally
        opposite from them.

   3-4  The men half-turn the opposite woman.

The women are required to give a firm grip and turn strongly during bars 1-2.

When the figure is danced this way there is a feeling of 'light and shade' or 'strength
and relaxation' between the two turns for the two women.

The covering that results from the turn on the side now frames the turn in the middle.
This really needs to be viewed from above to be appreciated.

Also, there are not the problems in getting back to the correct positions at the
end of the formation as occur when danced in the manner now advocated.

Admittedly, the new way is easier for the women.

However, it is a great deal harder for the men (who must dance round on the spot
at the beginning of the turns on the side then must return to places at the end of
the turn without any help from the women).

Also, the figure is unbalanced and usually becomes quite shapeless.

The diagrams in "Won't You Join The Dance" are not good but they do support my point
of view.

I still teach this form of the Ladies' Chain and try to dance it this way. It is
not always possible owing to the large number of older women who are unable to get
off the floor and dance and who find the new version quite adequate for them!

I would ask anyone teaching any of my dances with a Ladies' Chain to teach the figure
as I have described it as _that is what I want_. The dances were devised to utilise
the figure as I have described it.

Iain Boyd

Wellington
New Zealand
Patricia Ruggiero

Patricia Ruggiero

Jan. 22, 2002, 3:54 a.m. (Message 29203, in reply to message 29195)

Iain wrote:

"Note also that in modern square dancing (and in contra dancing and, I
think, in English country dancing) the turn is on the spot and the man
assists the woman round by placing his right arm around the woman' waist."

To the extent that I've encountered this figure in ECD (where it's described
as an "open ladies chain" to distinguish it from the contra and square dance
version), it's done as SCD performs it, except that locations for the
various segments are not specified with the same exactitude as in SCD.

Pat
Charlottesville, Virginia USA
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

Jan. 21, 2002, 11:17 p.m. (Message 29198, in reply to message 29185)

i can't remember the exact timing of the confrontation but the East Coast
Americans did the ladies' chain with wide sweeping turns and the man did a
loopy move into the ladies' place so that the figure looked like a
collections of ovals.  The examiners arrived and were horrified and quickly
retaught the figure to look like a 'Z' with the men dancing tightly up to the
ladies' place and the ladies dancing diagonally across to meet the men, they
turned very tightly and repeated back to place.  The figure tended to look as
though the dance floor was crowded.
Happy discussing.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
res009k3

res009k3

Jan. 22, 2002, 8:26 a.m. (Message 29205, in reply to message 29185)

I am afraid that I am partially at fault regarding some of the
confusion regarding the ladies' chain.

The year after Miss M died, Duncan McLeod took over the summer school,
and in teaching a dance he broke down the ladies' chain in what to me
was a rather strange pattern. I challenged him privately on his
interpretation. I think he felt threatened because, barely disguising
my question, he pontificated on his version of the "original Milligan"
ladies' chain. Later that week all of the syncopants teaching other
classes started teaching what to me was a "new" ladies chain. Those
who disagreed just kept quiet in class (not at after parties) nd the
new chain was born.

The problem, the original, and the process can be seen if one compares
the appropiate pages in the original WYJTD (green) and the 1st & 2nd
official [blue] WYJTD versions.

As the "new" ladies' chain is impossible according to the instructions
in WYJTD [Green & Blue{1}], both text and illustration have been
changed in WYJTD [blue{2}] to conform with the new reality. Who said
that the Soviets were the only ones to rewrite history?

While I agree with everything stated about over rigidity as opposed to
practical flow in figures, I do feel that there are points in a well
phrased figure when a dancer should be at a specific location. So here
is my interpretation of these points which is supported by WYJTD
[Green & Blue{1]], but not in those which follow.

1. The track of a ladies' chain is similar to that of a left shoulder
reel of four by the ladies.
2. The track of a ladies' chain, for the men is each man dancing two
circles with two bars to the half circle. I am here avoiding the
question cast or not to cast which is an other issue. What is
important is that in these four half circles, the man is turning the
woman by the left hand 180 degrees on bars 3-4 & 7-8.
3. The key points are found at the end of bars 2 4 6 & 8.
   as follows:
   [initial]:   (1)>    <[2]
                [1]>    <(2)

    end of 2:
   <[2]   <(2)  | <(1)  <[1]  | <[1]  <(2)
    (1)>   [1]> |  [2]>  (2}> |  (1)>  [2]> |
    end of 4:
   <(1)   <[1]
    [2]>   (2)>
    end of 6:
   <[1]   <(2)
    (1)>   [2]>
A: end of 8 (continuing action):
   <(1)   <[2]
    [1]>   (2)>
B: end of 8 (terminal action):
    (1)>  <[2]
    [1]>  <(2) (after "polite" turn)

Any actions that do not put women near directly opposite (as opposed
to diagonally opposite [WYJTD Blue{2} version) tend to make the entire
figure (track of reel of four)rotate) on its access and distorts the
minor set beyond the confines of the grand set of which it is a part.
In other words, if the figure being done by the head couples in a
square set, the rotation is blocked by the side couples who are
static. If in the round the room version (watch Circassian circle) or
ecossaise [longways improper] the WYJTD-Blue{2} version is performed,
there is a tendency for the figure and the minor set (especially in
round the room version) to loose its orientation in relation to the
top of the room or line of direction.

I accept that there are problems for the women achieving the exact
positions I have described at the ends of bars 2 & 6. But the attempt
without losing flow is better than the solution described by Duncan
McCleod and later slipped into WYJTD-Blue[2].

This is also corresponds to the way this figure is performed in EFDSS,
and in the square and contra traditions in the States.

R Goss
[xxxxxxx.x.xxxx@xxx.xxx]
Malcolm Brown

Malcolm Brown

Jan. 22, 2002, 12:58 p.m. (Message 29210, in reply to message 29205)

I found Richard Goss's information very interesting, not least because I was
taught how to teach a Ladies' Chain by Duncan McLeod in the Prelim class at
St Andrews in 1971, i.e. before miss M died and he took over as Summer
School director - for those who never met Duncan, he was often referred to
as "In my opinion" Duncan, because he very often started sentences on the
nuances of Scottish C.D with the words "In my .....".
However Duncan was from Glasgow, and had a very Glaswegian sense of humour -
I had a very strong suspicion that sometimes he went into extreme detail not
because he believed in it, but just because he was amazed that anyone could
care so much about minutiae! (And so he kept on pushing the details, while
managing to keep a straight face). Anyone who watched him dance would see
someone relaxed and effortless, making the dance look easy - he was the
person who was the prime example of "intelligent anticipation" as he called
it - stealing a bit from the previous phrase without anyone noticing!.

When he taught us the ladies' chain it was a 2 stage process
1 - ladies change places (2 bars), turn opposite man all the way round (2
bars)
2 - to make it easier for the ladies, the men dance into the lady's place
while the ladies cross over (so the men dance round in two little circles),
 - so the ladies "cross" becomes a "turn into the opposite man's place"

It was only a few years later when I was passing this technique on to a
candidate's class that I met the question "how far do the ladies turn?" - do
they actually get into the men's place? with a wide set, is this possible? I
think it was this sort of problem which resulted in the "manual" version
(and Duncan always maintained that you didn't learn dancing from a book, but
by being shown, and this despite being Convemor of Publications for many
years)

Looking at the manual, what exactly do the words "men dance "towards" the
woman's place" mean? If you look closely at the diagrams the men are outside
the set, and the length taken up by the chain is almost equivalent to
another place. To me this implies that the men dance "beyond" the ladies
place!

I'm glad that dancing this formation is so much easier than teaching it.
I'll continue to turn the ladies on bars 3 & 4 wherever they are at the end
of bar 2!

Malcolm (& Helen) Brown
York (U.K.)
Oberdan Otto

Oberdan Otto

Jan. 23, 2002, 9:20 a.m. (Message 29236, in reply to message 29210)

>[Malcolm:]
>When he [Duncan MacLeod, 1971] taught us the ladies' chain it was a
>2 stage process
>1 - ladies change places (2 bars), turn opposite man all the way round (2
>bars)
>2 - to make it easier for the ladies, the men dance into the lady's place
>while the ladies cross over (so the men dance round in two little circles),
>  - so the ladies "cross" becomes a "turn into the opposite man's place"

Very interesting! So 30 years ago, he was teaching the "old" version,
which is not surprising, since everybody at that time was doing the
same--a very nice very clean figure.

I am still saddened by what must have been many mindless wimps close
to HQ who did not care enough to challenge the change. In my opinion,
the "new" version is significantly inferior to the "old" one.

Oberdan.

184 Estaban Drive, Camarillo, CA 93010-1611 USA
Voice: (805) 389-0063, FAX: (805) 484-2775, email: xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
Malcolm and Helen Brown

Malcolm and Helen Brown

March 4, 2002, 9:43 a.m. (Message 29247, in reply to message 29185)

Greetings,

I have just read through my mail for the last couple of days.
I find it fascinating that the vast majority of mail on this
subject has been written by men!   Is it that the ladies just
dance it?   :-)

Helen

--
   _     _
  |_|_  |_| Malcolm & Helen Brown - York (UK) - x.xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx (Tir-Nan-Og)

marjoriem

Jan. 24, 2002, 3:42 a.m. (Message 29253, in reply to message 29247)

Helen, thank you.  I teach the figure and know the variations, but I have
never encountered any difficulties enjoying the figure in a social
situation. Perhaps the men are more analytical than we!

Marjorie McLaughlin
San Diego, CA
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Jan. 25, 2002, 10:06 a.m. (Message 29279, in reply to message 29253)

Perhaps we don't have any problems, because whereever we go we have
eye-contact with a person (hopefully) - and if you look at your partner or
the next person you dance with, you have fewer problems. The men in my
opinion have moments of "Who next?" in a ladies' chain.

Pia
Female
Chris1Ronald

Chris1Ronald

Jan. 24, 2002, 2:37 a.m. (Message 29250, in reply to message 29185)

In a message dated 01/23/2002 7:35:13 PM Eastern Standard Time,
x.xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx writes:
> I have just read through my mail for the last couple of days.
> I find it fascinating that the vast majority of mail on this
> subject has been written by men!   Is it that the ladies just
> dance it?   :-)

Good point. I had a mind to contribute to the discussion, but then I said to
myself: do you know what the figure really feels like from the ladies'
perspective (especially bars 1-2 and 5-6)?  Where do ladies aim to be
(assuming they are consciously thinking about it) at the end of bar 2: still
on the famous diagonal, close to the man's place, or what...?  I'd like to
hear some ladies' perspectives.  Why don't you  start, Helen?  :)

Chris
(in New York, and a man, if anyone's wondering.)
Malcolm and Helen Brown

Malcolm and Helen Brown

March 5, 2002, 8:09 a.m. (Message 29267, in reply to message 29250)

Greetings,

As Chris suggested that I put the ladies' perspective, I shall put
pen to paper so to speak.

I can't really remember learning a Ladies Chain when I first started
dancing (well it was nearly 40 years ago!) but I do remember that
nobody thought it was a nice formation.   Like Malcolm, I was taught
it in the Prelim. class by Duncan Macleod and basically that is how I
have always done it - at least it is in my mind - reality now may be
something different.   I don't have a concept of a diagonal line.
I do think that the sets are now wider than they were even 30 years
ago so the lady cannot quite reach the opposite side of the set at
the end of 2 bars but makes the movement more of a flowing one.
Perhaps we should think of it as 4 and 4 rather than 2 and 2 and 2
and 2.

Helen

--
   _     _
  |_|_  |_| Malcolm & Helen Brown - York (UK) - x.xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx (Tir-Nan-Og)
 _  |_|_
|_|  _|_|   Connecting via NETCOM Internet Ltd
    |_|
res009k3

res009k3

Jan. 24, 2002, 6:59 a.m. (Message 29255, in reply to message 29185)

Agree with you Marjorie, sometimes in our need to be analytical we get
a bit too abstract.

The women already know that they have to find a man and, having just
left one, they do not have a lot of options. At the same time, the
men, having just lost a partner, are left with whomever, they can
find. The figure is so logical that it works without analysis.

A large part of this discussion is demteamitis. If the dancers are
concerned with each other and not how the set looks from the outside,
or the D of E's heliocopter, this figure will always work if we say
"women passing right hands turn opposite man left, and repeat back to
place, as men turn what ever woman offers her hand."

Have you ever noticed that little kids can always take toys apart, but
can seldom reconstruct them?

R Goss
[xxxxxxx.x.xxxx@xxx.xxx]
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

Jan. 24, 2002, 2:27 p.m. (Message 29258, in reply to message 29185)

I dance the ladies' chain in contra dances all the time.  There is never any
discussion about how to do the figure, what is the correct form. The ladies
cross giving right hands, the men turn then, they repeat back to place.
There are lots of variations, mostly of the spin and twirl variety, and these
are tolerated as long as they do not interfere with the timing of the figure.
 If the sets are crowded the figure is a little different than if the floor
has lots of room.  If the young and swing dance crowd is doing the figure it
will be different from when the traditionally minded old farts are doing it.
Nobody cares as long as you are in the right place at the right time and do
not interfere with anyone else.
Let's just dance the figure and stop micro managing it.
Cheers,
sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
Miriam L. Mueller

Miriam L. Mueller

Jan. 24, 2002, 5:06 p.m. (Message 29260, in reply to message 29185)

I can't resist that!
Speaking only for myself, I like the 3/4 turn to the man's place. The
pace of that sweeping turn (strathspey) and the cooperation between the
women (especially in quick time) contrasts nicely with the shorter turns
on the sidelines, and there is a kinetic flow I enjoy.
The straight-across Z-shaped figure I can dance, if need be, and do when
those I'm dancing with do it that way. But it's hardly as much fun.
I will note that in square and contra dancing, the escorted turn of the
ladies' chain (man turns the lady with hand on waist) uses the music and
timing by putting the woman's longer turn on the outside turn rather than
on the crossing.
Okay - one woman heard from.
Miriam Mueller - San Francisco

On Mon, 4 Mar 02 08:43:11 GMT x.xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xx.xx (Malcolm & Helen
Brown - York (UK)) writes:
mgillespie

mgillespie

Jan. 26, 2002, 9:40 a.m. (Message 29316, in reply to message 29185)

Ron Taylor wrote,

< If however the ladies on bar 2 dance towards the mens place then you get a
< nice wide sweeping turn with the left hand and the whole figure looks so
< much nicer.

Ladies chain is an 8 bar formation, divided equally into 4 x 2bar phrases.
Therefore the whole should be a smooth flowing sequence. The ladies cross RH on
the diagonal from place to place. If the men dance to slightly below or above
3rd and 1st ladies position, it is so much easier to give LH for the turn, which
is now only a half turn and is easily done in the 2 bars wihout any change in
speed.
    If the ladies dance towards the men's position then the diagonal is lost
and you end up with a  1/2 R&L cross the dance. Assuming all the dancers travel
the same distance the men must end up beyond the ladies starting positions.

Malcolm Gillespie
Zimbabwe.
ron.mackey

ron.mackey

Jan. 27, 2002, 1:51 a.m. (Message 29329, in reply to message 29316)

> Ladies chain is an 8 bar formation, divided equally into 4 x 2bar phrases.
> Therefore the whole should be a smooth flowing sequence. The ladies cross RH on
> the diagonal from place to place. If the men dance to slightly below or above
> 3rd and 1st ladies position, it is so much easier to give LH for the turn, which
> is now only a half turn and is easily done in the 2 bars without any change in
> speed.
>     If the ladies dance towards the men's position then the diagonal is lost
> and you end up with a  1/2 R&L cross the dance. Assuming all the dancers travel
> the same distance the men must end up beyond the ladies starting positions.
>

> Malcolm Gillespie

	Hi, Malcolm
			Do I take it that you are requiring all to dance the same distance
for each two bars?   That each dance the whole eight bars without
any change of speed?   What size of set do you propose?
	If the standard set is still 4 + 1/2 paces across and the dancers
are one arm's distance apart on the sides something of what you
propose is not possible.
	Why would you want to dance in such a regular fashion anyway.
Personally I enjoy a bit of 'phrasing' (I do apologise for using
that word) to add colour to my palette.
	I have always danced this by moving up (or down) the side without
too much of a curve out of the set and then dancing in to greet the
lady and help her complete the turn on the same arc that I have used.
	 In a packed ballroom one cannot dance out of the set that much
anyway and it means that I dance two short and two long and it
reduces the effort for the lady - but still stay with the music, of
course.  :)
Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
ron.mackey

ron.mackey

Jan. 27, 2002, 11:18 a.m. (Message 29330, in reply to message 29185)

Hi,
			Just re-read this ---   Of course I meant two and a half paxes
across the set.   Just hit the wrong key - Well it was nearly 1
a.m.and we had just returned from a Burns Supper !
	After the speeches they crammed in 20 dances !!   They're mad !!