out-of-sync figures (was Red House)

Martin.Sheffield

Jan. 22, 2001, 11:46 a.m. (Message 24448)

Anselm wrote:

>Dancers are conditioned to expect that a dance figure will finish when
>an 8-bar phrase finishes (or should be, anyway), and to carry on dancing
>in spite of this can be difficult.

I don't think that "carrying on" is a problem, rather it is knowng when to
stop that can be hard, when figure and music lengths do not coincide.
In "Quarries jig" for example, if you're not concentrating, it's easy to go
on trying to dance the triangular chain beyond the allotted 12 bars, since
the figure ends in mid phrase. Similarly, with "dance to each corner and
set" type figs that take 12 bars.
Devisers would help dancers by putting the beginning of a12-bar fig on bar
5, in order to allow them to finish the fig on bar 16.

The Red House discussion must have been of purely academic interest; no-one
ever dances that dull old dance, do they?
Martin,
 in Grenoble, France.

 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
                  (dance groups,  some new dances ...)
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

Jan. 22, 2001, 11:52 a.m. (Message 24449, in reply to message 24448)

M Sheffield wrote:

> The Red House discussion must have been of purely academic interest; no-one
> ever dances that dull old dance, do they?

Martin seems to be applying for the position of Strathspey "Troll"!

Alan

:-)
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Jan. 22, 2001, 11:58 a.m. (Message 24451, in reply to message 24449)

Alan Paterson <xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx> writes:

> > The Red House discussion must have been of purely academic interest; =
no-one
> > ever dances that dull old dance, do they?
> =

> Martin seems to be applying for the position of Strathspey "Troll"!

Well, we don't really need the Internet to find out that one person's
`dull old dance' is the next person's barnstormer ...

Anselm (closet Red House fan)
-- =

Anselm Lingnau ......................... xxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxx=
urt.de
I recently heard that scientists have isolated the gene that makes scient=
ists
want to isolate genes.                                          -- Terry =
Morgan
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

Jan. 22, 2001, 11:55 a.m. (Message 24450, in reply to message 24448)

Martin Sheffield wrote:

> Anselm wrote:
> >
> >Dancers are conditioned to expect that a dance figure will finish when
> >an 8-bar phrase finishes (or should be, anyway), and to carry on dancing
> >in spite of this can be difficult.
>
> I don't think that "carrying on" is a problem, rather it is knowng when to
> stop that can be hard, when figure and music lengths do not coincide.
> In "Quarries jig" for example, if you're not concentrating, it's easy to go
> on trying to dance the triangular chain beyond the allotted 12 bars, since
> the figure ends in mid phrase. Similarly, with "dance to each corner and
> set" type figs that take 12 bars. Devisers would help dancers by putting
> the beginning of a 12-bar fig on bar 5, in order to allow them to finish
> the fig on bar 16.

And then there's the problem of dancers remembering to start in the
middle of a phrase, particularly if they've been standing for the
previous 4 bars.  Eg Gothenburg's Welcome or The Comely Lass.

Cheers,

Ian
--
IndigoVision Ltd                           http://www.indigovision.com/
The Edinburgh Technopole,  Bush  Loan,  Edinburgh,  EH26  0PJ

Marilynn Knight

Jan. 22, 2001, 4:49 p.m. (Message 24458, in reply to message 24448)

For myself, I just love 'Red House' with no analysis of why.
Doug Mills

Doug Mills

Jan. 22, 2001, 9:40 p.m. (Message 24460, in reply to message 24448)

M Sheffield wrote:

> The Red House discussion must have been of purely academic interest; no-one
> ever dances that dull old dance, do they?
> Martin,
>  in Grenoble, France.

splutter, choke, $!**&$%^# !!!!!!
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

Jan. 22, 2001, 10:53 p.m. (Message 24462, in reply to message 24460)

Yup - I enjoy zipping over to the ladies side for the reel.  I like the
music too.

"Richard L Walker"<xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>
Pensacola, FL 32504-7726 USA

M Sheffield wrote:
> The Red House discussion must have been of purely academic interest;
no-one
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

Jan. 23, 2001, 6:27 a.m. (Message 24467, in reply to message 24448)

There is nothing dull about the music for Red House, beginning with the
emphasis on the off-beat of the first measure and ending with the change from
minor mode to major mode in the 3rd part for 7 measures and back to minor for
the last measure.  That is one reason people like to dance it.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
shirley butterfield

shirley butterfield

Jan. 23, 2001, 8:49 a.m. (Message 24470, in reply to message 24448)

I thought that would be a hard one for you to swallow Doug.  Is it on the
next Region dance programme?  However, I do agree it certainly has its place
in our dance programmes and is enjoyed by most.
Shirley
Jan Wilson

Jan Wilson

Jan. 25, 2001, 12:01 a.m. (Message 24507, in reply to message 24448)

Shame on you Martin!  It's one of my favourite dances - always has been even
before Kardinia Capers recorded what is, IMHO, the best music to dance to!!

Jan Wilson
Alexandria, Sydney
Australia