What will they think of next...

Marilynn Knight

July 27, 2000, 3:30 p.m. (Message 22002)

I believe Ann McBride just mentioned a source for kilts with cellphone
pockets!!!  My reaction would have been/and probably still is "egads!", =
but
for a sight I never expected to see on the SCD dance floor:  a woman on =
cellphone in a set!!!  As one who increasingly abhors cellphones and =
all
their implications, I was both appalled and shocked.  Nevertheless, it =
did
strike a deep funnybone.  Wish I could have captured it on a good =
photo.
What a poster!!!  Maybe big bucks for RSCDS from a cellphone company's
marketing budget.  :-)  And lots of new class members.  Would we move =
into
the 21st Century?  Or would we just be fuddy-duddies on cellphones.  =
And
would we welcome that kind of advertising?  And so I muse on.....  =
Maybe
it's better to remain small in numbers....  And what is our protocol
vis-=E0-vis cellphones on the dancefloor????

Marilynn Latta Knight
Columbia, SC(where the weather has been wonderfully gray and skies have =
even
dropped rain now & then and people may even be thinking the planet is
"cooling".)
Coletta Busse

Coletta Busse

July 27, 2000, 9:44 p.m. (Message 22004, in reply to message 22002)

IMHO: cell phones in a set would be EXTREMELY rude.
I could see where it would be a "first time funny", but after that not.
In this modern age at the beginning of concerts and other large gatherings
of people for entertainment the MC requests that all cell phones and pagers
be turned off. So far it hasn't been an issue around here because most folks
have the sense (and consideration of their fellow dancers) to turn the
things off. But it may be that in the future the MC may have to remind
folks. I sure hope it doesn't come to that.
Coletta Busse
Milpitas, CA
SF Branch
Lee Fuell

Lee Fuell

July 28, 2000, 12:23 a.m. (Message 22005, in reply to message 22004)

IM (not so humble) O, only a very small subset of cell phone users
(such as doctors on call, parents with small children at home with
a babysitter) would even be justified in leaving them turned on
during a dance or dance class.  Even then, they should use a cell
phone with a voice mail service so that they can leave it on the
sidelines during a dance or lesson, and return the call after the
dance/lesson finishes.  Few things won't wait that long, and if they
won't, the cell-phone-bearer probably shouldn't even be at the
event.  A good pager would be better.

I believe, however, most folks who carry a cell phone everywhere
are doing so for rather trivial reasons, like trying to appear trendy.
Coletta is absolutely right; cell phones in a set is unacceptably
rude.  Of course, so is chatting in the set while the teacher is
trying to teach, or stepping across the set to talk to one's partner
during a dance, or any of a number of other inconsiderate things I
see all the time.  Teachers should correct anyone who does these
things.  As Chapter 3 of the RSCDS manual says, teamwork is
essential to proper Scottish Country Dancing.  Every member of a
set has an obligation to observe what is happening in the set and
anticipate what is about to take place in order to mantain the
continuous flow of the dance (pg 3.5).  Any of the behaviors above
are inconsistent with that obligation.

Opinionatedly yours,

Lee
Rita Hamilton

Rita Hamilton

July 28, 2000, 12:32 a.m. (Message 22006, in reply to message 22002)

I'd love to see a dance where everyone had a cell phone stuck in their ear. Just
make it a funny dance. (Everyone should get the message then!)
Call it the Cell Phone Polka!

--
May neither your strings nor your spirit ever break,
May your harp and your soul always be in tune.

SnowshoeTS

July 28, 2000, 12:49 a.m. (Message 22007, in reply to message 22002)

How about doing it as a conference call and briefing the dance as theyt
dance;-)

Kirk Bachler

Twin Cities Branch,RSCDS
Alan Paterson

Alan Paterson

July 28, 2000, 10:32 a.m. (Message 22013, in reply to message 22002)

(This has no connection to SCD but I can't resist).

I have just come back from a few weeks holiday in Ireland. During the
trip it was blindingly obvious that the latest craze is indeed
cellphones. No teenager was without one. Either using it for a
conversation or pressing furiously at the buttons with an intense look
on the face.

The most striking symptom was at the cinema. I have been well used (and
amused) for many years now to see, as people exit the cinema, how the
smokers wildly grab at their cigarette packs and one can walk into a
wall of smoke which builds within seconds of the film finishing.
The smokers are now being seriously challenged by the number who cannot
wait to whip out their mobiles.

What happens with a smoker who carries one of these devices?

Alan

--
Alan Paterson
Berne, Switzerland

Dewdney Andrew

July 28, 2000, 10:54 a.m. (Message 22014, in reply to message 22002)

I agree that it's a disease with many people, but there are some who's jobs
require it! Not just the obvious medical people, either. I have to admit to
doing it once or twice, and as a teacher too. But then, whilst I was dancing
the night away, some poor soul was stuck in a half-built hospital trying to
install a medical body scanner to an stupidly short time schedule and he
needed my advice..... my phone can just vibrate and not squawk and tells me
who it is/was, so I can just calmly find a quiet corner and help him out.
Besides, it plays Mary Printy!

But conference calling a dance with hands free mobiles - wonderful for a
complicated dem or those large halls as an MC!
Andrew Dewdney
Michael Hanson

Michael Hanson

July 29, 2000, 8:57 a.m. (Message 22022, in reply to message 22014)

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Dewdney Andrew wrote:

> But conference calling a dance with hands free mobiles - wonderful for a
> complicated dem or those large halls as an MC!
> Andrew Dewdney

  I more envisioned something like the teachers exam meets
The Millionair Show -
  Dancer on the floor, forgets what the next move is.
"I'd like to use one of my lifelines - I want to make a call"
Wips out the cell phone

    Michael Hanson,
    Seattle, WA, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Local Group, ...
Colleen Putt

Colleen Putt

July 28, 2000, 6:21 p.m. (Message 22016, in reply to message 22002)

I was at a dance once, and we were quite happily dancing "The Saint John
River" when, suddenly, a phone rang. It was for the first man, who was do=
ing
"dance down the middle and up" . He reached into his sporran and answered
it. We all chuckled as he red-facedly spoke into the phone: "Uh, I'm danc=
ing
right now. Yes, dancing. Listen, I can't talk right now, can I call you
back?" He did apologize afterwards, said he'd forgotten to turn it off.
I suppose that emcees will have to remind people to "please turn off your
cellphones" at the beginning of the evening?
Cheers,
Colleen

> I believe Ann McBride just mentioned a source for kilts with cellphone
> pockets!!!  My reaction would have been/and probably still is "egads!",
but
> for a sight I never expected to see on the SCD dance floor:  a woman on=
> cellphone in a set!!!  As one who increasingly abhors cellphones and al=
> their implications, I was both appalled and shocked.  Nevertheless, it =
did
> strike a deep funnybone.  Wish I could have captured it on a good photo.
> What a poster!!!  Maybe big bucks for RSCDS from a cellphone company's
> marketing budget.  :-)  And lots of new class members.  Would we move i=
nto
> the 21st Century?  Or would we just be fuddy-duddies on cellphones.  An=
> would we welcome that kind of advertising?  And so I muse on.....  Mayb=
> it's better to remain small in numbers....  And what is our protocol
> vis-=E0-vis cellphones on the dancefloor????
>
> Marilynn Latta Knight
> Columbia, SC(where the weather has been wonderfully gray and skies have
even
gknox

gknox

July 29, 2000, 8:44 p.m. (Message 22026, in reply to message 22002)

The Cell Phone Jig

Hold the cell phone in your left hand.

1 - 8        1s cast off and back to place
                (it would be proper to phone one's partner)
9 - 12      1s & 2s Right Hands Across
13 - 16    1s cross by the right and cast off
17 - 20    1s & 3s Right Hands Across
21 - 24    1s dance half figure of eight around 2s
25 - 32    1s turn first corner by right, pass right shoulder
                turn second corner by right, pass right sh to place

Gary Knox
San Francisco Branch
Marilynn Knight

Marilynn Knight

July 29, 2000, 11:38 p.m. (Message 22027, in reply to message 22002)

And, what would the signature tune be?  Lots of busy signals, crackles, and
static?

Marilynn
Columbia, SC where the day is just a properly wonderful summer day anywhere
in the world(almost...).  Which is very rare for us'ns...
Miriam L. Mueller

Miriam L. Mueller

July 30, 2000, 2:08 a.m. (Message 22028, in reply to message 22002)

Looks like great fun, and a potential ceilidh act -
Do you close the cellphone connection in lieu of final bows and curtsies?
(I don't have a cellphone - do you say "hang up?)
Thanks!
Miriam
Dianna Shipman

Dianna Shipman

July 30, 2000, 1:23 p.m. (Message 22030, in reply to message 22002)

> And, what would the signature tune be?

Pennsylvania 6-5000?

Dianna

Dianna L. Shipman
xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx
PMB 134, 1436 W. Gray
Houston, TX 77019-4946
Scottish Country Dancing and More
phone: 713-522-1212
Marilynn Knight

Marilynn Knight

July 30, 2000, 5:23 p.m. (Message 22031, in reply to message 22002)

Dianna, I had the exact same question yesterday for my fiddler son David up
in DC.  My knee-jerk reaction is the Dr. Seuss Songbook which no one but me
seems to know or love.  I can actually hear one of his songs with lyrics to
match the directions for Cell Phone Jig, and, as Miriam says, it just seems
like marvelous ceilidh material.  Maybe a plethora of celiedh acts will
result from this little "cell phone chat"!!!!   :)

Marilynn Latta Knight
Columbia, SC, where the weather is still so civilized that I couldn't blame
madness on it, unless it is delayed from the last long dry blast....
S.M. Gent

S.M. Gent

July 30, 2000, 9:33 p.m. (Message 22032, in reply to message 22002)

>> And, what would the signature tune be?
>
>Pennsylvania 6-5000?

or how about 8 bars of Scotland the Brave, followed by 8 bars of
the 1812 Overture, followed by 8 bars of Jingle Bells......
followed by 8 bars of Ring tone 2!!  All played with as much
electronic feel as possible.  In fact all those sitting out the
dance could use their phones to join in the music making!

If anyone intends to use this, please let me know so that I can
avoid that dance.

Seonaid
Dewdney Andrew

Dewdney Andrew

July 31, 2000, 10:35 a.m. (Message 22034, in reply to message 22002)

excellent, but where is the bit where you wobble all over the place as a
result of not concentrating and nearly drive off the road?
Lee Fuell

Lee Fuell

July 31, 2000, 2:27 p.m. (Message 22035, in reply to message 22034)

Modified final phrase:

25-32  1s turn first corner by the right, pass right shoulder, turn
second corner by the right, attempt to pass right shoulder but have
head-on collision in middle of set, spinning half way round
and careening off each other into second place on own sides.

From:           	Dewdney Andrew <xxxxxx.xxxxxxx@xxx.xxxxxxx.xx>
To:             	"'xxxxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx'"
 	<xxxxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx>
Subject:        	RE: What will they think of next...