Balgeddie Reel

Pauline

Nov. 23, 1998, 12:33 a.m. (Message 14723)

I have the music for Balgeddie and use it for other other dances but can't
find the instructions for the Balgeddie dance anywhere. Can anyone help please?

Pauline Foster.

           < 0
            `;>
            /#\

 Pauline Foster (Brisbane, Australia)  xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xx
RuddBaron

RuddBaron

Nov. 23, 1998, 12:58 a.m. (Message 14724, in reply to message 14723)

The Balgeddie Reel

We do have a version of the music here in Atlanta called the Stone Mountain
Reel which is quite good as well.

s/RBJ

****************
The Instructions:

1-4: 1st and 3rd men set, turning in place, hands in 1st position.
4-8: 1st and 3rd ladies dance toward and then away from their partners.
9-14: 1st and 3rd ladies cast off, followed by partner, dance up and cast
around 2nd (4th) man.
15-16: 1st and 3rd couples dance into a diagonal line with left hands to
partner, right hands to first corners, 2nd and 4th ouples stepping up.
17-18: Balance in line with 1st corners.
19-20: Dropping right hands, 1st and 3rd couples set advancing into diagonal
line with 2nd corners.
21-22: Balance in line with 2nd corners.
23-24: 1st and 3rd couples turn with the left hand ready for...
25-28: Right hands across as follows: (1st lady with 2nd couple at the top,
1st man with 3rd lady and 4th couple in the middle, and 3rd man with 5th
couple at the bottom.)
29-32: 1st and 3rd couples turn by the left hand and cast on own sides, 4th
and 5th couples stepping up.

Repeat with new 1st and 3rd couples.
Shengzhang Tang

Shengzhang Tang

Nov. 23, 1998, 4:55 a.m. (Message 14729, in reply to message 14724)

The instruction of "Balgeddie Reel" is included in the book "Memories of
Fife" by Mary Shoolbraid Brandon. I believe you can get a copy of the book
either through TACBOOKS (e-mail is xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xx) or by
writing to: Studio Imports, 4541 Willens Avenue, Woodland Hills, CA 91364
(this is 1995 address, I hope it is still good.).
The instruction given in the other post on strathspey list earlier (quoted
below), I believe, is NOT quite accurate. I would strongly recommend
getting the original instruction.
Shengzhang Tang
Stella Fogg

Stella Fogg

Nov. 23, 1998, 1:09 a.m. (Message 14725, in reply to message 14723)

Balgeddie Reel is in the book "Memories of Fife" by Mary Brandon. Do you
have the "real music" or are you using the "American music"?
Stella
RuddBaron

RuddBaron

Nov. 23, 1998, 5:11 a.m. (Message 14730, in reply to message 14723)

--- By all means do point out the inaccuracies.

s/RBJ

In a message dated 11/22/98 9:55:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
xxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx writes:

<< The instruction of "Balgeddie Reel" is included in the book "Memories of
 Fife" by Mary Shoolbraid Brandon. I believe you can get a copy of the book
 either through TACBOOKS (e-mail is xxxxx@xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx.xx) or by
 writing to: Studio Imports, 4541 Willens Avenue, Woodland Hills, CA 91364
 (this is 1995 address, I hope it is still good.).
 The instruction given in the other post on strathspey list earlier (quoted
 below), I believe, is NOT quite accurate. I would strongly recommend
 getting the original instruction. >>
Shengzhang Tang

Shengzhang Tang

Nov. 23, 1998, 5:38 p.m. (Message 14734, in reply to message 14730)

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx wrote:
> --- By all means do point out the inaccuracies.
I don't have the book and the original post of the instruction with me
now at work, so I can only write down what I can remember as the
differences (at the risk of adding more inaccuracies). I would still
strongly recommend getting the original book. Here are some of the subtle
differences:
In the chase figure: the 2nd and 4th woman step up on on bars of 11-12 and
2nd and 4th man step up on bars of 15-16 (in another word, 2nd&4th couples
do not step up together as couples).
In bars of 17-24, the active couples (i.e., 1st and 3rd) dance whole
figure with 8 setting steps (i.e, two balance, two advancing turning, two
balance, two advancing turning), the end supporting corners (2nd and 5th
couples) dance 4 setting steps each, two balance steps with active couple
and two setting steps afterwards. The 4th couple in the middle also dance
8 setting steps, two balance with active people as 1st corners, setting
and turning (pulling back left shoulders) ready for balance with the
active people as 2nd corners, then continue setting and turning (in same
direction) ready for 4 hands across in the middle.
While those differences are fairly subtle, they do seem change the flavor
of the dance somewhat. I particularly like the 8 bars of setting by the
rotating corners, 4th couple, which is not always done.
I think those difference may be due to the earlier version of the leaflet
that was written down by someone else which had similar description as
given by the earlier post. That leaflet had been circulated for some years
till probably four years ago.
I hope I am not adding more confusion. I will check the book when I get
home and correct myself if necessary. The dance is really a very fun and
enjoyable one. I believe the deviser is ok with either the "real" music or
"American Southern" version music according to what says in the book.
Enjoy the dance.
Shengzhang Tang
xxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx
Etienne Ozorak

Etienne Ozorak

Nov. 23, 1998, 6:17 p.m. (Message 14735, in reply to message 14734)

Just a little note on the musis.  The "American Reel" version that people
got used to dancing to was originally recorded by the Scottish band of
Andrew Rankine sometime in the 70s.

Etienne
Stella Fogg

Stella Fogg

Nov. 23, 1998, 9:53 p.m. (Message 14737, in reply to message 14723)

The major innacuracy most often danced is the first four bars when the men
set turning in place....Mary Brandon says hands should not be on hips or in
the air - that is highland and she never intended any highland in this
dance. At first she was not sure about the "American Southern" music but
says "whichever set of tunes suits the dancers pleases the author".  The
original music "Balgeddie Mains" was recorded by her brother Murray
Shoolbraid.
Stella Fogg
Richmond, VA

One of Mary's "old" pupils.
RuddBaron

RuddBaron

Nov. 23, 1998, 11:10 p.m. (Message 14738, in reply to message 14723)

With the exception of the couples not stepping up as a couple, my instructions
are shorthand for the other...unless I copied them incorrectly. We do it here
like you mention below, though I don't recall the ladies stepping up first.
(They may, but I don't remember.)

s/RBJ
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

Nov. 23, 1998, 11:51 p.m. (Message 14739, in reply to message 14723)

This is so interesting.  We have done Balgeddie Reel for years
using the instructions distributed with the leaflet -- thinking we
were doing everything as correctly as possible.  I even danced in
the same set as the devisor and she (very politely) said nothing.
Now Shengzhang Tang and Stella Fogg mention a couple differences
that will certainly put a slight flavor difference on the dance.
Our group prefers using the music found at track 13 "The
Plantation Reel" on the David Cunningham CD to the Southern
medley, but we use both from time to time.  Now I want to look for
the music mentioned by Stella.  Although most of the dance won't
change, I certainly want to see what these differences look like.

Reminds me of passing right shoulders in Mairi's Wedding.  (OK,
the devil made me say that. - ha ha)
Ron.Mackey

Ron.Mackey

Nov. 25, 1998, 1:35 a.m. (Message 14747, in reply to message 14739)

.

> Reminds me of passing right shoulders in Mairi's Wedding.  (OK,
> the devil made me say that. - ha ha)
>

> --
> "Richard L. Walker" <xxxxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxx>

Expect there are a few grim faced, tight lipped purists around at
that !     :)
Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
Pauline

Pauline

Nov. 24, 1998, 1:37 p.m. (Message 14740, in reply to message 14723)

At 06:02 PM 11/22/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Balgeddie Reel is in the book "Memories of Fife" by Mary Brandon. Do you
>have the "real music" or are you using the "American music"?
>Stella

        Stella,

        I guess I must have the "American Music" as it starts with "Oh
Susanna",         I think.  I have another version, but am not sure about
it, as I just
        presumed it was the same.
                                        Pauline.

           < 0
            `;>
            /#\

 Pauline Foster (Brisbane, Australia)  xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx.xx
Ian Price

Ian Price

Nov. 24, 1998, 6:42 p.m. (Message 14741, in reply to message 14723)

Thought I'd pass on Murray's reaction to yesterday's comment on the sourc=
music for Belgeddie Reel. He doesn't subscribe to Strathspey but responde=
very quickly when I forwarded the message, as I was unaware of Murray
having recorded anything without yours truly standing over him with a big=

black squeezebox.

Note also Murray adds yet another 'original' tune to the melange -- must
see if I can work up a set containing all three (or was that four) 'first=
'
tunes. :-)

-2chter

Message text written by Murray Shoolbraid
>At first she was not sure about the "American Southern" music but
>says "whichever set of tunes suits the dancers pleases the author".  The=

>original music "Balgeddie Mains" was recorded by her brother Murray
>Shoolbraid.  =

>Stella Fogg
>Richmond, VA

--I suppose Stella Fogg was reading through a Scotch mist when she wrote
that.  Mary notes in her book "Memories of Fife" (have you got that??) th=
at
the tune (printed there) is by me; but the dance was devised to "Tommy
Ford's Fancy"; and the "Southern tunes" (O susanna etc.) were recorded by=

Bobby Brown.  My own tune, alas, has not seen vinyl or whatever they're
using these days.
Cheers
Murray
<
Alex Collins

Alex Collins

Nov. 24, 1998, 8:18 p.m. (Message 14743, in reply to message 14723)

At TAC Summer School 1997 at the University of Waterloo, Canada,
Mary Brandon took our class through Balgeddie Reel, partly for the
purpose of clarifying what she had intended for the dance.
I can confirm that as recently as August 1997 Mary intended what
Stella Fogg and Shengzhang Tang have recently posted, namely:
1) men do not place hands on hips during bars 1-4;
2) women step up on bars 11-12 and men on bars 15-16 (i.e. not all
together);
3) couple in 3rd place for the balance-in-line figures dance 8 bars
of pas de basque with all pivots anticlockwise (yes - at least 5/8
of a revolution on the last two bars).
I danced Balgeddie Reel as recently as three evenings ago, in a room
with many sets, and saw few if any dancers conforming with points 1)
and 2) above.  Conformance with point 3) was about 50/50.
--- Alex
R. A. Collins, Toronto, Canada
RuddBaron

RuddBaron

Nov. 24, 1998, 8:35 p.m. (Message 14744, in reply to message 14723)

In a message dated 11/24/98 1:19:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
xxx@xxx.xxxxxxxx.xx writes:

<< 1) men do not place hands on hips during bars 1-4; >>

--- I think there's a bit too much concern over this point.

s/RBJ
Richard L. Walker

Richard L. Walker

Nov. 24, 1998, 10:45 p.m. (Message 14746, in reply to message 14723)

Not so much concern as interest.  I had no idea what the original
instructions included and I'm just glad to get them.  Like this
Greek teacher said last Saturday night, "The steps described now
are authentic; beyond that it is choreography."  I know that high
kicks will continue to reign supreme around here for the first
four bars.
Stella Fogg

Stella Fogg

Nov. 25, 1998, 5:40 a.m. (Message 14748, in reply to message 14723)

Oops, Murray and Ian, my apologies....
Stella - (eating humble pie while sipping her "Scotch Mist").