Lee Fuell

Re: C.D. Dance to the Pipes

Jan. 22, 2001, 2:21 p.m. (Message 24454, in reply to message 24453)

Diana,

Pipes can't really play a chord.  Most of the reels and jigs on this
CD have a four-bar intro instead of the chord (men bow down for
two bars and come up for two bars - pretty standard for dancing to
bagpipes, I believe), and it's fairly clear to my ear when the intro
stops and the dance music begins.  However, I have the same
problem as you on the Strathspeys.  For example, I think
Monymusk has a two-bar intro, but I've got to listen to it all the way
through and count all the bars to make sure.

I bought the CD for just one track - Reel of the 51st Highland
Division.  It's reasonably clear on that track where the intro stops
and the dance begins.

Good luck sorting it out, and if you figure out Monymusk, let us
know!

Lee Fuell
Beavercreek, OH, USA

From:           	"Dianna Shipman" <xxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxx.xxx>
To:             	<xxxxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx>
Subject:        	Re: C.D. Dance to the Pipes
Date sent:      	Mon, 22 Jan 2001 05:49:04 -0600
Send reply to:  	xxxxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx
Date forwarded: 	Mon, 22 Jan 2001 12:50:43 +0100

> I purchased this CD some time back but as yet haven't figured out how to=
 use
> it for dancing since I don't think any of the tunes have a bow chord and
> trying to figure out how to count where to start isn't obvious (at least=
 not
> to me) - especially since it doesn't seem to be consistent thoughout the
> CD - some tracks seem to have more than 8x32 bars of music for an 8x32 b=
ar
> dance and others not and the amount of "overage" seems to vary.  Has any=
one