Martin.Sheffield

Re: Chain Reaction

April 26, 1998, 9:32 p.m. (Message 11813, in reply to message 11774)

Campbell Downie wrote:

>... the future of
>publication of SCD dances lay in the Internet, and probably more
>particularly in the Strathspey mailing list.

Yes indeed, it seems to be the obvious way of doing things -- except that:

We mailers are a pretty small proportion of the dancers world-wide (but
perhaps our numbers will grow).

There seem to be two opposing views about using the list to publicize new
dances.

When I sent a set of instructions to the list 3 months ago, reactions fell
into three categories:
"that sounds like an interesting dance -- we'll try it/have tried it";
"not bad, but it would be better if ...";
"what's this idiot telling us about his insomnia for?"

Perhaps in order not to bore those in the last group, it would be a good
idea to create another mailing list (shall we call it "rant"?) to promote
discussion about  new dances and figures, how they could be made more
interesting/ more suitable to the Scottish tradition, about the reactions
of members of classes/clubs where the dances were tried out, about why the
new dance was liked/not liked, about what difficulties cropped up in the
teaching.

>   Perhaps if more dances are
>contributed in the future then we shall get more discussion about Scottish
>dancing rather than some of the rather curious sublects that have appeared
>recently.

Personally, I hope we continue to get both on the same list.

Martin,
  Grenoble, France.
------------------      http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france