Norman BETT

Re: Dancing to pipes - or not!

April 24, 1998, 5:52 p.m. (Message 11787, in reply to message 11659)

on 24 Apr 98, xxxxxxxxxx@xx.xxxxxxxxxx.xxx-xxxxxxxxx.xx wrote...

>Although most dancers probably do listen for the beat and the end of the
>phrase this is not always the case.  A few years ago we had some children
>from Donaldson's (the school for the deaf in Edinburgh) who came and
>joined our class.  They were unable to hear the music but were able to
>pick up the beat from vibrations in the floor.  They were then able to
>work out that there were so many beats per phrase etc.
>
>They were super dancers.
>
>Seonaid.
>
>--
>"S.M. Gent" <xxxxx@xxxxxxxx.xxxx.xx.xx>

I was quite touched by your letter.  It reminded me of our own (Cambridge) John
Sturrock, a well known
teacher and dancer in UK who has very little hearing.  Most of the time he works
visually, following the rhythmic movements of his fellow dancers but probably
also hearing the low frequencies if such there be.  He manages wonderfully well
too when acting as a stooge for teachers who are learning in that he is
lip-reading the instructions.  When I play for his Sword Dance or Highland
Fling, however, I follow him !

Norman

Mr Norman Bett
Cambridge  UK