Left shoulder petronella: historical vs traditional dances

Rosemary Coupe

Rosemary Coupe

Jan. 9, 2004, 1:38 a.m. (Message 37480)

Yes, Pat, I'm here!

I absolutely agree with your distinction between "historical" and
"traditional" dances. Two quick comments about these terms as they apply to
dancing in Scotland:

Many of the "historical" dances may have been quite ephemeral as their
publication was tied to passing fashion--they were the "top 20" dances of
1790, 1791, etc. The title of the 1740 MS you mention (McConachie's source)
makes this clear: "A Collection of the newest Countrey Dances Perform'd in
Scotland, Written at Edinburgh by Da. Young, W.M. 1740."  We're far from the
timeless world of the traditional ballad!

In Scotland the notion of "traditional" dances is complicated by the
authority and influence of the dancing masters in the rural as well as urban
regions. What they taught would strongly influence the repertoire of dances
in a particular area. For example, the 1805/06 MS from Blantyre Farm seems
to be at the opposite pole from David Young's MS. The writer makes no claim
to represent the "newest" or "most favourite" dances. He does not give his
credentials as W.M. for Writing Master or produce an elegant, lovingly
embellished MS including music as well as dance instructions. Instead, he
uses everyday cursive handwriting, gives no details of the music, and does
not worry about standard spelling. However, he does provide an authority:
these are dances "according to Mr. William Seymour from Kilbride, which he
teached at Blantyre farm, above date." The dances seem to cover a wide
range. At the "traditional" end is "The Bounky," a version of "The Bumpkin,"
a dance which seems to have been stable throughout Scotland. At the
"historical" or "fashionable" end is the "French Cotillion" which Burns in
"Tam o' Shanter" regards as a novelty. So did the visiting dancing master
try to bring a little elegance to Blantyre Farm!

This is also, incidentally, the MS in which "The Duke of Perth" first
appears, in a style associated with the countryside rather than the assembly
room, in those famous opening words "hook your partner." This seems to be
the linked-arm turn which has survived as the "traditional" way of dancing
the D of P. So (I think) the distinction between "historical" and
"traditional" is very useful, but it's often hard to draw a definite line
between them.

Rosemary Coupe
Vancouver