  • Peter Price

    Peter Price July 1, 2006, 1:02 a.m. (Message 45705)

    Re: dolphin reels revisited

    The difference is based on the specific directions in the 3rd footnote
    and the last line of the directions to bars 1-8.

    quote:
    1-8     first couple, cross with the right hand and cast off one place.
              (Second couple step up on bars 3 & 4.) First couple turn each
              other with the left hand 1-1/4 times. First couple finish facing the
              lady's side, the man has his partner on his right.***
    end quote

    quote
    ***Note: First couple should begin the reel parallel with the side of the
    set AND REMAIN PARALLEL  with the set throughout the reel. This will
    require good covering. First couple must be aware of their partner
    especially on the turns. First couple cover with each other NOT JUST
    FOLLOW each other. Where the instructions say follow also read cover.
    End quote
    (my emphasis added)

    The important points-
    -first couple finish side by side (bar 8)
    -the COUPLE stays parallel with the side of the set (axis of the reel)
    therefore they are not in tandem but are dancing their own individual
    tracks.
    -whenever the couple crosses the axis of the reel (at the ends AND in
    the middle) they are side by side i.e. not in tandem.

    See my opening email that restarted the dolphin reel "thing" for a
    fuller breakdown.

    Peter Price
    New Haven, CT
    USA