Taking to the floor

George Meikle

March 3, 2006, 11:10 a.m. (Message 44443)

In a posting today entitled 'Dance Cards - clarification', David wrote:-

> I much prefer the more friendly SCD method of taking a partner when the
music strikes up.

Oh how I wish this were more often the case as I am finding it is becoming
more common for dancers either not to leave the floor at all, or take to the
floor before the dance has either been announced by the MC or the band has
had the opportunity to strike up with 8 bars of music to announce it.

As a band leader I find this habit to be most annoying as it gives the band
no time to get music together. Please, please, please can dancers stop this
habit and consider the musician(s), and other dancers in the hall, before
taking to the floor. It is even more annoying when you find that those that
have just taken to the floor early, stand reading their crib sheet swatting
up on the dance they have just taken the floor for. I have even been given
dirty looks because I have started to play the actual dance before they have
finished reading their crib! Oh yes, I can assure you this has indeed
happened and I have actually had a dancer complain to me verbally that I had
not given them enough time to read their crib on the floor!!! Would it not
be easier for everyone, if these dancers were to read their crib during the
break between dances first, and then take to the floor when the dance is
announced?

I get the impression, perhaps wrongly, that certain dancers always want to
get as near to the band as possible, to the detriment of other dancers
(often less experienced) in the hall who politely wait for the dance to be
announced. Surely this is a very selfish attitude to take, but if they were
to wait until the dance was announced they would find that they would have
to fight with all the rest of the well mannered dancers who wait for the
dance to be announced. How tempting it must be at times for some MC's (and
musicians) to consider asking the set at the top of the hall to go to the
bottom - now that just might be one way of getting them out of this habit?

I hate to say this, but I find this habit is most noticeable at dances held
in the Central belt of Scotland, often run by RSCDS branches and (I hate to
say this even more) with RSCDS certificated teachers being every bit as
guilty as others. Surely they were taught this when taking their
certificate, or have they just conveniently forgotten that bit?

Come on, let's get this habit stopped once and for all as it does not lead
to a very friendly approach to dancing. After all is it not supposed to be a
social event involving everyone!

Let the onslaught begin!

George Meikle
Lothian Scottish Dance Band
Andrea Re

Andrea Re

March 3, 2006, 11:22 a.m. (Message 44445, in reply to message 44443)

George Meikle ha scritto:
> In a posting today entitled 'Dance Cards - clarification', David wrote:-
>

>> I much prefer the more friendly SCD method of taking a partner when the
>>
> music strikes up.
>
> Oh how I wish this were more often the case as I am finding it is becoming
> more common for dancers either not to leave the floor at all, or take to the
> floor before the dance has either been announced by the MC or the band has
> had the opportunity to strike up with 8 bars of music to announce it.

Amen to that.
I can confirm that this is indeed the attitude in Dundee. I was the MC
for some local RSCDS dances and, as the evening went on, people got
faster and faster at getting on the floor, as if they had a train to
catch. Most annoying indeed!!!
Thank you, George, I never thought of the musician needing time to get
himself sorted/have a wee rest etc. I will make this point next time I
have to MC a dance (end of July)

Andrea (fae Dundee, the home of road runners:)
Margaret Lambourne

Margaret Lambourne

March 3, 2006, 11:33 a.m. (Message 44448, in reply to message 44445)

I actually know one man who, when he is MC, will ask everyone to leave
the floor until the dance is announced and he is so right.

Margaret
Christina France

Christina France

March 3, 2006, 11:26 a.m. (Message 44446, in reply to message 44443)

Well done, George. The habit of getting on the floor drives me mad
also and heads in crib sheets.
	Christina
Martin

Martin

March 3, 2006, 11:31 a.m. (Message 44447, in reply to message 44443)

Pia Walker

Pia Walker

March 3, 2006, 12:49 p.m. (Message 44449, in reply to message 44443)

Thank you George

If you have a good vantage point at some dances or if you go regularly, you
will notice that the same people will dance in the same areas at all times -
time after time - and with more or less the same people in the sets around
them.

Reminds me of hearing a minister once start his sermon by saying :  "in this
church we do NOT have reserved seats"

Pia
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

March 3, 2006, 1:18 p.m. (Message 44452, in reply to message 44443)

Greetings!

Can I just add my support to George's plea that this practice be
discouraged. As an MC in Central Scotland, I _always_ have to announce at
some stage in the evening that the floor should be cleared between dances.
This results in a split reaction: filthy looks from the people at the top of
the centre of the hall in front of the band and applause and 'hear-hear'
from a fair number of the others. Tthe 'offending' set dance every dance in
their tight-knit little group, only pausing between dances to change
partners within the set - and it's pretty much the same people at every
dance. They will then happily tell you that nobody wants MCs at all and they
have just come to dance not to be told what to do or how to behave.

One problem with this, however, is that outside of RSCDS functions, MCs are
becoming a scarce commodity and the job is being left to the band leader.
Some band leaders (George very definitely excluded) make it clear that they
all they want to do is get through the programme and go home.

Jim Healy
Perth and Monaco
Wesley Harry

Wesley Harry

March 3, 2006, 3:57 p.m. (Message 44455, in reply to message 44443)

Mike Griffin, who used to be a regular MC with the MacBains Band, had his
own way of dealing with people who were on the floor before the band played
an intro - or the MC announced the dance.  Mike (in collaboration with the
band) would announce another dance! (Probably the next on the programme).
This soon stopped the habit, because everyone waited for the dance to be
announced!
Wesley
ivan

ivan

March 3, 2006, 6:04 p.m. (Message 44457, in reply to message 44443)

Thank you George I have noticed it also.

I once attended a dance and this was happening and the MC "bit the
Bullet" and announced that if the dancers didn't clear the floor
between dances and wait for the band to introduce the dance, he would
stop the dance proceeding until they did. In fact three or four dances
later they resumed the same practice and when they appeared to be made
up in complete sets he requested the floor to be vacated and all
dancers to sit down before he would resume the evening program.

It didn't happen again that night. Needless to say they lost two dances
off the program.

Ivan
Ian Brockbank

Ian Brockbank

March 6, 2006, 5:50 p.m. (Message 44514, in reply to message 44457)

Ivan (from somewhere unspecified...) wrote in response to George:

> I once attended a dance and this was happening and the MC "bit the
> Bullet" and announced that if the dancers didn't clear the floor
> between dances and wait for the band to introduce the dance, he would
> stop the dance proceeding until they did. In fact three or four dances
> later they resumed the same practice and when they appeared to be made
> up in complete sets he requested the floor to be vacated and all
> dancers to sit down before he would resume the evening program.
>
> It didn't happen again that night. Needless to say they lost two dances
> off the program.

I'm sorry, but I think this is ruder than the dancers not clearing the
floor.
One thing which I _really_ dislike is MCs treating the dancers like a
group of naughty school children.  I left school a while ago, and I'm
out for fun.  It is this sort of thing which gives SCD a bad name and
puts people off attending.  I would certainly think twice about attending
a dance with that MC in future - even dances organised by that group.

Now, I agree that the people who just stay on the floor in formed-up sets
are also rude, and I have no objection to the MC making some sort of
comment, as long as it is courteous and treats the dancers like adults.
The best way is to find some sort of humorous put-down, or make some
joke about "please give the band a chance - they don't get any rest
during the dance" or change the following dance (in agreement with
the band) or make the next dance a "visitors' choice" or something.
If those dancers still persist, tough.  The ballroom is NOT the place
to teach etiquette.  That's for the class room.  Okay, I accept these
dancers are probably no longer attending classes; if it really bothers
you have a _private_ word with them.  But please don't treat me like a
child, and please don't waste my dancing time on etiquette lessons.

Other etiquette "lessons" are NEVER appropriate in the ballroom.  At a
social event, it doesn't matter whether lines are perfect.  It's not
a performance, and it's not a competition.  Please just relax a bit and
let the enjoyment continue.

Cheers,

Ian Brockbank
Edinburgh, Scotland
xxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx
http://www.scottishdance.net/
simon scott

simon scott

March 6, 2006, 6:46 p.m. (Message 44515, in reply to message 44514)

> In fact three or four dances
> later they resumed the same practice and when they appeared to be made

> up in complete sets he requested the floor to be vacated and all
> dancers to sit down before he would resume the evening program.

I'm sorry, but I think this is ruder than the dancers not clearing the
floor. One thing which I _really_ dislike is MCs treating the dancers
like a group of naughty school children.  I left school a while ago, and
I'm out for fun.  It is this sort of thing which gives SCD a bad name
and puts people off attending.

	I totally, totally agree with Ian here.

The best way is to find some sort of humorous put-down, or make some
joke about "please give the band a chance - they don't get any rest
during the dance".

	If dancers form sets early, or before some MCs think they
should, then I feel they will have to wait there until the band and MC
are ready to continue the program.  I'm not at all opposed to the floor
clearing, if in fact it does, but I feel it is quite unlikely and I
don't think we should deflect the enthusiasm of keen dancers.

 or change the following dance (in agreement with the band) or make the
next dance a "visitors' choice" or something.

	I don't think I support "tricking" dancers at a dance or ball.

Simon
Vancouver
SMiskoe

SMiskoe

March 3, 2006, 6:32 p.m. (Message 44458, in reply to message 44443)

It is very elegant to clear the floor in between dances but I can  understand
why it doesn't always happen.  Your seat is on one side of a  dance floor
that holds 150 dancers.  You want to dance with someone who is  seated on the
opposite side of the floor.  It is easier to meet them in the  middle of the
floor than make a mad dash across the floor when the dance is  announced.  And
often by the time you get to the other side, that person  already has a partner
who was closer.
Sometimes the dance program is quite full, the hall must be emptied by a
certain time or there are great overtime fees, and people finish a dance, thank
their partner and mill about looking for the next one so there is no down-time
 between dances.
Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA
Mike Mudrey

Mike Mudrey

March 3, 2006, 6:41 p.m. (Message 44459, in reply to message 44458)

I was taught many years ago, that in social dance, the couple escort
themselves to the floor (in the Olden Dayes...the gentleman escorts
the Lady).  The sets are formed at the bottom, not in between or at
the top.  And after acknowledging your partner and thanking the
bands, the couple escort themselves back to where they met or are sitting.

Chat a while, check your dance card or invite another for the next
dance.  Wait until called, then form the set.

mike
who does vintage also.

At 3/3/2006  11:32 AM, you wrote:
>It is very elegant to clear the floor in between dances but I can  understand
>why it doesn't always happen.  Your seat is on one side of a  dance floor
>that holds 150 dancers.  You want to dance with someone who is  seated on the
>opposite side of the floor.  It is easier to meet them in the  middle of the
>floor than make a mad dash across the floor when the dance
>is  announced.  And
>often by the time you get to the other side, that person  already
>has a partner
>who was closer.
>Sometimes the dance program is quite full, the hall must be emptied by a
>certain time or there are great overtime fees, and people finish a
>dance, thank
>their partner and mill about looking for the next one so there is no
>down-time
>  between dances.
>Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

M.G. Mudrey
106 Ravine Road
Mount Horeb, WI 53572

xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
608-437-3701
Tom

Tom

March 3, 2006, 6:49 p.m. (Message 44461, in reply to message 44458)

George,  what would be a reasonable time for an MC to leave between dances?
When I act as MC I recognise the pressure put upon the band - through me -
by dancers loitering on the floor.  But as Sylvia (Miskoe) said there are
often good reasons for them doing so, so it's important to establish a the
balance.
What would be comfortable, do you think?

Tom Busby
Home Counties North

Sheila Kidney

Sheila Kidney

March 3, 2006, 9:21 p.m. (Message 44463, in reply to message 44458)

There's milling around looking for your next partner, planned or otherwise,
and there is making up sets.

Yes, often you do need to meet somewhere on the floor, but having met, if
the band has not started the introductory bars or the MC announced the
dance, then surely moving to the edge of the floor is easy enough?

Last year I attended a dance outhwith my usual area.  As I made my way from
the bottom of the hall to my seat at the top I was astounded to find myself
walking between two complete sets.  Most people hadn't even drawn breath!
If looks could kill.........  Observing that group of people on and off
through the evening, they never sat down, until the interval, and never
danced with anyone outside their group. And they were not the only ones.
Not an easy place for a single dancer to go, I found that I danced more with
other visitors than with locals.

I have to say that that is the first time I have come across such an extreme
example of failing to clear the floor.

Sheila
Fran Smith

Fran Smith

March 3, 2006, 11:13 p.m. (Message 44470, in reply to message 44443)

I, too, find this habit very annoying. Maybe someone should try a function where the
dances are taken from a pre-arraanged list but only the band and the MC know the
order of dances.
I also find  pre-booking  uncomfortable as I'm often late arriving and find many of the
people I'd like to partner have no "spare" dances . There's one club,at least, I'll not
visit again after an evening spent sitting out more than half the dances while club
members spent the whole time in the same space at the top of the hall.

Fran( Herefordshire)

Lycos email has 300 Megabytes of free storage... Get it now at mail.lycos.co.uk
Volleyballjerry

Volleyballjerry

March 5, 2006, 7:47 p.m. (Message 44491, in reply to message 44443)

Not heresy at all, Sylvia!  And similar to Doug Schneider's comment, which I
just now applauded.  Excellent and sensible comments, both!

Robb

In a message dated 03/05/2006 6:49:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
xxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:
Volleyballjerry

Volleyballjerry

March 6, 2006, 7:57 p.m. (Message 44516, in reply to message 44443)

In a message dated 03/06/2006 9:45:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxxx.xxx writes:

> >In fact three or four dances
> >later they resumed the same practice and when they appeared to be made
> >up in complete sets he requested the floor to be vacated and all
> >dancers to sit down before he would resume the evening program.
>
> I'm sorry, but I think this is ruder than the dancers not clearing the
> floor. One thing which I _really_ dislike is MCs treating the dancers
> like a group of naughty school children.  I left school a while ago, and
> I'm out for fun.  It is this sort of thing which gives SCD a bad name
> and puts people off attending.
>
>   I totally, totally agree with Ian here.

Ditto!

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Bryan McAlister

Bryan McAlister

March 6, 2006, 9:13 p.m. (Message 44518, in reply to message 44516)

Amen - Logic suggests that a full hall means not enough seats to go
around and a good informal crowd of people milling around is exactly
what we should be aiming for.

I remember once, several years ago, at a dance at Hopetoun House an MC
giving an inappropriately schoolmistressly  lecture to the paying
clients how they should behave and as I was relatively new to Country
dancing I gritted my teeth. Nowadays I would ignore the lecture and
maybe just maybe would be tempted to respond.

In message <xxx.xxxxxxx.xxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx>, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx
writes

--
Bryan McAlister