Mike Mudrey

Re: Taking to the floor

March 3, 2006, 6:41 p.m. (Message 44459, in reply to message 44458)

I was taught many years ago, that in social dance, the couple escort
themselves to the floor (in the Olden Dayes...the gentleman escorts
the Lady).  The sets are formed at the bottom, not in between or at
the top.  And after acknowledging your partner and thanking the
bands, the couple escort themselves back to where they met or are sitting.

Chat a while, check your dance card or invite another for the next
dance.  Wait until called, then form the set.

mike
who does vintage also.

At 3/3/2006  11:32 AM, you wrote:
>It is very elegant to clear the floor in between dances but I can  understand
>why it doesn't always happen.  Your seat is on one side of a  dance floor
>that holds 150 dancers.  You want to dance with someone who is  seated on the
>opposite side of the floor.  It is easier to meet them in the  middle of the
>floor than make a mad dash across the floor when the dance
>is  announced.  And
>often by the time you get to the other side, that person  already
>has a partner
>who was closer.
>Sometimes the dance program is quite full, the hall must be emptied by a
>certain time or there are great overtime fees, and people finish a
>dance, thank
>their partner and mill about looking for the next one so there is no
>down-time
>  between dances.
>Sylvia Miskoe, Concord, NH USA

M.G. Mudrey