Irene Van Maarseveen

Re: Mairi's Wedding

July 29, 1997, 1:12 p.m. (Message 8327, in reply to message 8323)

Colin Garrett said about Mairi's Wedding [29 July]:

> ... devised by James Cosh ...
>
> Note that the original instructions specifically said
> "pass left shoulders in the centre of the reels".
> Most people now dance right shoulders.
> I once asked James about this and he said
> "Do what is comfortable!"

<Hmmm>  So maybe the Mairi's Wedding debate still lives on.  Can we
take that as factual first-hand reporting?

Compare the letter published in The Reel (London Branch), as posted
to Strathspey by Ron Mackey on 17 Nov 1996.

>> Date sent:      24 Aug 96 11:50:52 EDT
>> From:           The_Healys <xxxxxx.xxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
>>
>> Ron's assertion, however, is that there is documentary proof of
>> what the deviser actually wanted as opposed to what he was
>> 'forced' to publish.  Does anyone out there know which issue of
>> 'The Reel' the reply was published in or, better, can anyone post
>> the actual text.  I would love to kill this once and for all
>> but suspect that, no matter what, it won't be long before it
>> returns :)
>>
>> Jim Healy
>
>    Hi   : )
>
>    Andrew Kellett has managed to find the relevant copy of The
> Reel from the London Branch archives, I think he must have been
> going back through them one by one.   This is taken from "page
> four" of Issue No 59 for the period February - March 1961.  <snip>
> Plus ca change ......

>>  MAIRI'S WEDDING
>>
>> <snip>
>> ... we recommend to our readers' attention the two letters printed
>> below. The first is from the author of the dance.
>>
>>    To the Editor of "The Reel"
>>
>>    Dear Sir,
>>
>>    There appears to be some difference of opinion concerning the
>> shoulder in "Mairi's Wedding".  I can only say that there can be
>> only one shoulder and that most definitely is the LEFT in any reel
>> of four.
>>
>>     I cannot agree that there is any more pleasure in passing
>> right shoulder in the centre and I have had many letters
>> supporting this view and deprecating any alteration from the
>> original intention of the dance.
>>
>>            I am
>>                Yours Faithfully
>>                    JAMES B. COSH
>> Giffnock,
>> Renfrewshire.
>
> <snip>
>
>    Does that convince you Jim or would you like a copy of the copy?
> This doesn't come from anybody's Auntie but good old London Branch!
>
>    Happy Dancing
>    Ron Mackey   :)

Jim, you were right to
>> ... suspect that, no matter what, it won't be long before it
>> returns :)

Irene van Maarseveen
Pretoria, South Africa
xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xx.xx