Ian Brown

Re: Dancing clubs and insurance in the UK

Oct. 1, 2021, 6:38 p.m. (Message 72089, in reply to message 72087)

On 01/10/2021 14:03, Pia Walker wrote:
> I have forwarded your e-mail to the Traditional Dance Forum of
Scotland as we took out this kind of insurance not long ago.  They may
be able to assist.

> I personally, as a teacher & caller, have a public liability
insurance - obtained through Musicians Insurance Services.

> Historically branches obtained insurance through the RSCDS as far as I remember.
>
> Pia

I am grateful for your response Pia and I should be interested in the
response of the Traditional Dance Form.  I should say that the
legislation that lies at the back of this problem I assume to be UK
legislation but perhaps may be England only, I don't know.

In fact I don't understand the idea of Trustee insurance and nor do
those I have asked.

I am aware of Edinburgh Risk Management who provide insurance to many
SCD clubs and, I believe, branches.  In fact I dance with a club insured
with them but I understand they cannot offer this cover.

I should love to believe that this is a storm in a teacup - move along -
nothing to see.  Unfortunately I don't think that likely. Perhaps if
this web site is monitored by ERM or even the RSCDS they might care to
provide some insight.

The advice that we have been given, to obtain this cover, is emphatic
and apparently well sourced although not formal.

--
Ian Brown
01423 567576

https://www.avg.com