Martin

3 X quicktime dances

Feb. 13, 2005, 10:52 a.m. (Message 40643)

Robb wrote:

>There seems to be no question that this is an underemployed configuration,
>particularly when compared with 3 X strathspeys.  (... ) maybe it's time
>for us to blow
>the dust off some of these 3 X quicktime extant dances.

I don't think it is so surprising that 3 x strathspeys have proved more
popular than 3 x j/r, which would be over and finished in about 100 seconds.
If you have spent half an hour walking the figures to get them right (which
would be the case with "Lanes of Au", for example) it's not much
return  for your investment.
On the other hand, 3 x spey is a nice length and worth an encore, whereas
some of the 8 x speys seem to go on for ever.

When, at the beginning of an evening, there are not enough dancers for a
full set, we sometimes do 3-cp r/j, but they are never requested.  My
groups prefer to do Black Mountain Reel or Midnight Toil with three cps --
a quick reminder and off we go, rather than walking through something less
well-known.  By the time you've learnt an unfamiliar 3-cp dance, more
dancers will have arrived, and you don't know what to do with them.  If 3
cps are doing a 5-cp dance, it's easy for the late-comers to join in.

Martin,
in Grenoble, France.
<http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm>
(clubs in France)