Patricia Ruggiero

Lead - Right hands or Nearer Hands

Jan. 28, 2005, 6:15 a.m. (Message 40444, in reply to message 40414)

Rosemary wrote:

> The short answer to this question, as far as I know, is that
> the term "lead" was the only one used in this context, and
> that 18th-century instructions don't specify which hand
> should be used.

Exactly so.

>  Dukes' diagrams
> show where hands are taken, and in figures including "lead"
> the hands appear to be the nearer ones.

For what it's worth, I'll give some personal evidence here.  I've taken
numerous workshops in Renaissance dance, and Renaissance combined with Early
English, all from teachers knowledgeable in their fields.  The term used was
always "lead," and the "lead" was always nearer hands.  I also can't recall
seeing old pictures and drawings with anything other than nearer hands
joined.

I've been told, but have no written source to which I can refer, that the
"right hand in right" lead appeared in the 19th century.  Hmmm, it occurs to
me that I should put this question to my Regency friend.  Stay tuned.

Pat