ron.mackey

Pier Glass

Jan. 25, 2002, 6:36 p.m. (Message 29297)

> At 22:10 24/01/02, you wrote:
> >I presume he means a cheval mirror or similar when he
> >says a pier glass -
>
> ???
> I used to think I understood English -- never heard either of those
> expressions. Which side of the Atlantic/which hemisphere do they  inhabit?

	Hi, Martin
		We are referring to a full length mirror.  I believe that 'Pier
Glass' is the name caused by the fact that on Victorian Piers ( you
know, the structures that were built out from the beaches so that one
could be over the sea without getting wet) there were always long
glasses so that one could check on one's clothing for wind & weather
disarrangement before going into the theatre or ballroom.
	Don't know about Cheval Glass.  Could they be similar, sited on the
exit from stables??
	Echo's from a bygone age!   :)
	Nowadays they would probably be called 'a full length mirror'.  How
dull !!

Cheers,  Ron   :)

 < 0   Ron Mackey,(Purveyor of Pat's Party Pieces)
  'O>  Mottingham,
  /#\  London. UK.
   l>
xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx