SallenNic

Re: Strathspey Setting

Jan. 25, 2002, 2:22 p.m. (Message 29291, in reply to message 29230)

In a message dated 25/1/02 12:58:46 am, xxxxxxxxx@xxx.xxx writes:

>One of the practices I find pleasant in English Country dancing is that
>dancers standing in the line of the set move forwards, backwards and
>sideways for those who are dancing around them or who can be helped by
>a shorter path to their destination. It can be done gracefully, musically,
>and unobtrusively (or with a bit of panache) depending on the dance and the
>music and it always seems to add to the sociability of the dance.

I am sorry to have to disagree most strongly over this, but this is one of my
absolute betes noirs! I try very hard, when teaching ECD to persuade people
NOT to move about just because someone is dancing round them - I always think
it makes the whole set look like a field of waving corn - Ugh! This is a
habit which has simply grown up with sloppier dancing these days: I do not
believe anyone was ever taught to do it.
I should, of course, say that my remarks refer to ECD in the UK.
Nicolas B., Lanark, Scotland.