Dan Latour

Re: questionnaire

March 12, 1998, 5:50 a.m. (Message 11236, in reply to message 11203)

M & R Sheff wrote:

> My name is Sophie Vignon. I am French, preparing a university thesis about
> Scottish Country Dancing.
> May I ask for you help in contributing to this survey, in which I would
> like to know  just who does this dancing today.
> Please be honest ! Thanks for your help.
>
> Age: under 25,.....  25-35,..... 35-50,....., over 50,....
> Nationality:
> Origins (if different from nationality):
> Job:
>
> How long have you been dancing?
>
> Are you doing any other kind of dance?
> For how long?
>
> How/where were you first introduced to SCD?
>
> What does SCD mean for you?
> --- a way to have fun
> --- a sport
> --- a hobby
> ---a link to your roots
> --- other answer?
>
> What do you think makes SCD so different from other forms of traditional
> dancing?
>
> Hae you ever heard of the RSCDS?
> What do you think of this society?
>
> "So long as there is a good rousiing tune or two, good company, there will
> always be Scots handy with their feet," (Evelyn M Hood, in "Darling
> Diversion").
> Do you agree?
> Would you say you belong to this category of Scots?
>
> --------------
> Please reply to Martin Sheffield.
>
> --
> M & R Sheff <xxxxxx.xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.xx>

Okay  - I'll go for it ---
Age: 35
Nationality: U.S.A.
Job: Freelance writer and artist & part owner small family business
How long dancing: Dancing (all types incl.classical ballet, 31 yrs) SC
Dancing 7 months.
Doing any other kind dancing: As much as possible whenever possible.
Currently, still do ballet workout and belly dancing to keep fit along
w/ aerobics.
For how long: Lifetime
How/Where introduced SCD: Through local Caledonian Society
SCD means for me: Fun, another dance form I get to learn, another
cultural experience, friendship with fellow dancers, partial links to
Celtic and British roots.
SCD different from other forms dancing: Other forms I've done are
either choreographed and then set to memory and performed the same way
(often for centuries, as in the ballet) with the emphasis being on
technique and expression, or learned as basic moves and physical
techniques of dance style and then expressed the way the individual
dancer chooses. SCD, at least my class, is more about patterns with
very little focus,so far, on tecchnique or the dancer's aesthetic
expression and/or musical interpretation. Like choreographed
performance dances though, SCD is very partner dependent, as are
ballet and other dances that use dancers in chorus and pairs and small
groups. SCD is physically somewhat easier (so far - I haven't learned
some of the Highland steps yet) but takes more memory for all the
different dances done and takes much more restraint not to get carried
away in wanting to expressing the music.

Will that do? Hope it helps a little. Good luck with your research.

Missy Moon-Latour