Dutch Crossing

Volleyballjerry

Dec. 14, 2005, 5:46 p.m. (Message 43519)

Interesting name.  I wonder what engendered it.  Could be Dutch crossing
something (a river, a canal?) within the Netherlands, Dutch crossing (the Channel,
a border?) to some other country, foreigners crossing into the
Netherlands...or even each person's paying his own fare for the
(ferry?) crossing...does the
expression "going Dutch" have meaning beyond the United States???

Robb Quint
Thousand Oaks, CA, USA
Mike Mudrey

Mike Mudrey

Dec. 14, 2005, 5:55 p.m. (Message 43520, in reply to message 43519)

I have dropped a line off to Colin Hume to see if he can shed some
light on the name

None of the published descriptions, including Colins in Dances with a
Difference Vol 3 explain  the origin of the name

mm

At 12/14/2005  10:46 AM, you wrote:
>Interesting name.  I wonder what engendered it.  Could be Dutch crossing
>something (a river, a canal?) within the Netherlands, Dutch crossing
>(the Channel,
>a border?) to some other country, foreigners crossing into the
>Netherlands...or even each person's paying his own fare for the
>(ferry?) crossing...does the
>expression "going Dutch" have meaning beyond the United States???
>
>Robb Quint
>Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

M.G. Mudrey
106 Ravine Road
Mount Horeb, WI 53572

xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx
608-437-3701
Patricia Ruggiero

Patricia Ruggiero

Dec. 14, 2005, 6:16 p.m. (Message 43521, in reply to message 43520)

Mike wrote:

> I have dropped a line off to Colin Hume to see if he can shed some
> light on the name

I don't have any information on the name, either; but I see that my
photocopy gives these details about the devisor, Ernst van Brakel: at the
time the dance was published he was chairman of the NVS (Dutch Folk-Dance
Society; he's been a teacher of both English and Scottish country dances for
many years; he has contributed several dances to the NVS booklet "Triple
Dutch"; and he uses the recording of "The Merry Lads of Ayr" (RSCDS Bk. 1)
for the dance.

In the dance instructions, the C1&2 parts are designated "the Dutch
crossing."

Pat
Mike Mudrey

Mike Mudrey

Dec. 14, 2005, 10:42 p.m. (Message 43523, in reply to message 43519)

I just got this back from Colin Hume who is most closely tied to
Dutch Crossing.

>From: Colin Hume <xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx>
>To: "M.G. Mudrey, Jr." <xxxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx>
>Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 17:28:49 GMT
>Subject: Re: Fwd: RE:  Dutch Crossing
>

>On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 10:54:05 -0600, M.G. Mudrey, Jr. wrote:
> > Colin, Can you shed some light on Dutch Crossing?
>
>A Dutch Crossing is a diagonal crossing.  It is an insult probably
>dating from the wars between the English and the Dutch - the
>implication is that a Dutchman can't even cross the road in a
>straightforward manner but has to be devious about it!
>
>Colin Hume
>
>Email xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx      Web site http://www.colinhume.com

M.G. Mudrey
106 Ravine Road