Reel of the 51st

John K. Andrews

Jan. 14, 2005, 8:08 a.m. (Message 40295)

I've been recruited to participate in a demo which includes the Reel of the
51st.  The organizer has expressed a desire to have us perform the original
version as devised by Lt. Atkinson in 1941.  I've been asked to try and
obtain a copy of it.  All I know about the original is that unlike the
current version in Book 13 it was danced in a five couple set.  Can anyone
provide me a copy or point me in the right direction?  Also, does anyone
know what footwork was originally used?

Jay Andrews
Alexandria, VA
USA
xxxxxxx@xxxxx.xxx
Richard Goss

Richard Goss

Jan. 14, 2005, 9:18 a.m. (Message 40297, in reply to message 40295)

Can´t help with the notes. Regarding the style, you might want to
check out Ian Jamieson´s film of dancing in the Borders. There is a
copy in the School of Scottish Studies at Edinburgh university, and
another at Berea College (Ky). I have one, and gave a copy to the
RSCDS archives in the early 80´s. Jamieson, is probably the only RSCDS
afiliated person who did actual field research in country dancing.
Many of his dances are in the Border Book produced by Allie Anderson,
of Edinburgh Branch. In the film, rescued by the Fletts, litterly from
a dustbin after Jamieson died, are some good examples of costume, and
some military dancing with the men´s hairy sporans longer than their
kilts.
john.m.sturrock

john.m.sturrock

Jan. 14, 2005, 11:15 a.m. (Message 40300, in reply to message 40295)

'The Reel'  #165, August 1983, devoted a double page spread to the Reel Of
The 51st.  [I believe the same article had already appeared in New Zealand
and in TACtalk.]   It contains a reproduction of the original handwritten
notes.  They are difficult to read, but if you cannot obtain copies of the
publications above, I will send a transcript as best I can.

BBC Scotland made a TV documentary on the dance many years ago.  In it the
prisoners danced in  'tackety buits'.   How anthentic that was, I don't
know, but you can imagine that not much in the way of  'steps'  was
possible!   They used a scraping shuffle, which, as it was also the band,
was extremely effective.

John M Sturrock
Cupar UK
George Meikle

George Meikle

Jan. 14, 2005, 11:42 a.m. (Message 40301, in reply to message 40295)

Jay,

I though the following information might be of use to you in your quest for
details about "The Reel of the 51st Division".

I recently received a copy of a newly released CD from a very good Canadian
friend of mine, Fred Moyes. Fred came over and stayed with me when he
recorded the CD at David Cunningham's studio on 13th July 2004. After making
the recording, Fred left us to go and play at Summer School in St Andrews.

On track 9 of the new CD, Fred has recorded "Reel of the 51st Division
(Prison Camp Version)" as a 5x32 Reel. His sleeve notes about the dance are
as follows and may help you with some background information:-
"Reel of the 51st Division"
In June of 1940, the remnants of the 51st Division of the British
Expeditionary Force surrendered to the Germans at St Valery-en-Ceux on the
coast of Normandy, France. The 51st was a Highland Division comprising
officers and men of the Black Watch, Camerons, Seaforths, Gordons and
Argylls. There was also a unit of The Royal Army Service Corps, composed
mainly of men from Perth. One group of officers ended up at a
prisoner-of-war camp in Laufen, Bavaria where they started a dancing class,
dancing, first to clapping and "tempo" calling, whistling of tunes, then
chanters obtained through the Red Cross, and finally an accordion.
Remembering dances was difficult, so they improvised and even made up a few
completely new dances. They danced, not in ghillies and Highland finery, but
in army battledress and army boots, the only clothing and footwear they
possessed.

One of these new dances, a creation of Lieutenant Jimmy Atkinson of the
Argyll Highlanders and Lieutenant Peter Oliver of the 4th Seaforth
Highlanders, subsequently modified by suggestion from Lieutenant Colonel Tom
Harris Hunter of the R.A.S.C., was named The 51st Country Dance (Laufen
Reel). The dance was first performed in public at Officer's Camp 7B at
Warburg in Westphalia, Hallowe'en 1941, before Major General Victor Fortune
who approved the dance and its name.

Copies of the dance eventually reached Perth, Scotland, where the dance was
known briefly as The St Valery Reel. However, this title was short-lived and
the dance was given the name by which we now know it, The Reel of the 51st
Division.

Initially, the R.S.C.D.S. refused to accept the dance. However, its
popularity resulted in its eventual acceptance - but not without a few
modifications. The original five-couple set was reduced to four, and a bow,
which has ended the first eight bars, was deleted. The dance appeared in
RSCDS Book 13 (the 1951 edition), the "original" tune being The Drunken
Piper. The tune most used in the prison camps where the dance was danced
during the war was My Love She's But A Lassie Yet!. For his "Prison-Camp"
version of the Reel of the 51st, this is the lead tune used by Fred Moyes on
his CD "What You Hear is What You Get!"

Most of the above information is derived from an article by Michael Young,
which appeared in TACTALK. It was made available to me by J.D. Shaw of
London (Canada) and R. Anglin of Ottowa, both enthusiastic Scottish Country
Dancers and former army officers. The Reel od the 51st Division was danced
by a battledress-clad group of ten men at the Teacher's Association of
Canada Summer School Ceilidhs in 1994 and 2004, with a uniformed Fred Moyes
providing the "original" music on both occasions.

Fred Moyes 2004
alan mair

alan mair

Jan. 14, 2005, 3:57 p.m. (Message 40305, in reply to message 40301)

Jay,

Recently I had the use of a full set of RSCDS Bulletins. I found references
there to the events leading up to the eventual publication of this dance by
the Society. From memory the dance was first published as a leaflet for
inclusion in an earlier book and "The Reel of the 51st" was not initially
included in the dances for Book 13. It appears to have been the late Queen
Mother (who knew of the dance) who asked why it was not being published -
and guess what happened?

I have since passed the Bulletins on for the use of my successors so cannot
give accurate details or references but I did post the information on
"Strathspey" just after the Queen Mother died drawing attention to the fact
that she was the person who made the Society take the historic step of
publishing a "newly devised" dance which is now regarded as "traditional"!!

Regards

Alan
Cupar, Fife
Stella Fogg

Stella Fogg

Jan. 13, 2005, 4:33 p.m. (Message 40306, in reply to message 40301)

I have a recording on video tape of the documentary from BBC.  It has a demo
of how the dance would originally have been danced.

Stella Fogg
Richmond, VA
Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith

Jan. 15, 2005, 12:34 p.m. (Message 40309, in reply to message 40301)

I believe that either one of the devisors or one of the original
participants came from Bristol.
Andrew,
Bristol, UK.
mlamontbrown

mlamontbrown

Jan. 14, 2005, 12:10 p.m. (Message 40302, in reply to message 40295)

Jay enquired:

> I've been recruited to participate in a demo which includes the Reel of the
> 51st.  The organizer has expressed a desire to have us perform the original
> version as devised by Lt. Atkinson in 1941.  I've been asked to try and
> obtain a copy of it.  All I know about the original is that unlike the
> current version in Book 13 it was danced in a five couple set.  Can anyone
> provide me a copy or point me in the right direction?  Also, does anyone
> know what footwork was originally used?

As John has already said, when the BBC showed the dance being performed by people in
battle dress and boots they did a sort of scuffling step. But they also performed the
dance the way it is still danced by the Reelers (and I suspect by the army). In their
version the turns, including the one after the balance in line, are done as burls,
going clockwise - despite the apparent lack of speed because they are not using skip
change, there is a lot of speed generated in the turns. - The advantage of performing
it this way is that on the last turn (birl) the dancing couple are moving the right
way into the circle.

Malcolm

Malcolm L Brown
York
Pia Walker

Pia Walker

Jan. 14, 2005, 12:24 p.m. (Message 40303, in reply to message 40302)

re BBC : Can I just warn against just looking at a film to see how a dance
is carried out - unless it is a direct performance piece or an amateur film
of a performance.

Sometimes the Directors idea of what looks good in film, doesn't necessarily
correspond with the way things were / are done.  Directors and Producers
have certain ideas on how all things scottish should look and feel and as
their word is law in a film ..... and of course some things are more
difficult to film than others.

Just remember it was danced by men only - women being in short supply :>)

Pia
SallenNic

SallenNic

Jan. 15, 2005, 2:36 a.m. (Message 40308, in reply to message 40295)

In a message dated 14/1/05 7:18:26 am, xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx writes:

> Can?t help with the notes. Regarding the style, you might want to check out
> Ian Jamieson?s film of dancing in the Borders. There is a copy in the School
> of Scottish Studies at Edinburgh university, and another at Berea College
> (Ky). I have one, and gave a copy to the RSCDS archives in the early 80?s.
> Jamieson, is probably the only RSCDS afiliated person who did actual field
> research in country dancing. Many of his dances are in the Border Book produced by
> Allie Anderson, of Edinburgh Branch. In the film, rescued by the Fletts,
> litterly from a dustbin after Jamieson died, are some good examples of costume,
> and some military dancing with the men?s hairy sporans longer than their
> kilts.

But that film, fascinating though it is (there's also a copy in the Vaughan
Williams Memorial Library, Cecil Sharp house, London) was taken in the early
1920's, whereas The reel of the 51st was devised during the second world war,
surely? :-)

Nicolas B., Lanark, Scotland http://www.nicolasbroadbridge.com
Fiona Grant

Fiona Grant

Jan. 15, 2005, 4:06 p.m. (Message 40310, in reply to message 40295)

Malcolm writes:
"As John has already said, when the BBC showed the dance being performed by
people in
battle dress and boots they did a sort of scuffling step. But they also
performed the
dance the way it is still danced by the Reelers (and I suspect by the army).
In their
version the turns, including the one after the balance in line, are done as
burls,
going clockwise - despite the apparent lack of speed because they are not
using skip
change, there is a lot of speed generated in the turns. - The advantage of
performing
it this way is that on the last turn (birl) the dancing couple are moving
the right
way into the circle."

A couple of summers ago I attended a "Old Scots Reels and Quadrilles" class
in South Uist in the Hebrides, tutored by Frank McConnell (a splendid step
dancer and teacher). He taught the Reel of the 51st as he was told it was
originally devised for 5 couple sets (10 times through at the very least).
He had the instructions for the dance from talking directly to Hector Munro,
the son one of the original dancers in the 51st. Hector is the Chief of the
Clan Munro and occupies the house at Foulis in Easter Ross. Hector's father
Patrick Munro (previous Chief) was one of the prisoners held in the camp at
St. Valery when the dance was composed.

The version taught by Frank was in the style of the Reelers as Malcolm
describes (hard shoes/boots and rhythmic stepping). One key feature
distinguishing it from the ballroom version published by the RSCDS is the
absence of any balance in line. After setting to corner (setting can be
stamp and kick (x2) or stamp,stamp,stamp x2), turn corner right arm, birl
partner right, set and turn other corner right arm, birl partner right into
the circle. The birls are done with crossed hand hold: slap right hand to
partner's right hand, slap left hand to partner's left hand on top and pull
round to right to spin as fast as possible (the grip is holding onto the
hand base below your partners thumb joint). Also, the corners start moving
into the circle before the beginning of the phrase so that the dancing
couple join an already moving circle, and little impetus is lost for the
dancing couple. The circle goes round very fast, a slip step with a strong
pull. It is possibly the most physically demanding country dance I have ever
danced, and a good deal of upper body strength required for satisfactory
performance!

Well, this is the men's version, and I guess it was modified for ladies to
join in at home, and then for the RSCDS ballroom style.

Definitely worth trying though.
Fiona

Bristol
UK
Jim Healy

Jim Healy

Jan. 15, 2005, 7:59 p.m. (Message 40311, in reply to message 40310)

Greetings,

I have been staying out of this one to read with increasing awe the myths
and legends that have grown up around this dance.

The basic idea of the central 16 bars of the dance was worked out by Lt.
Jimmy Atkinson of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders on the march from St
Valery on the French Atlantic coast to the POW camp at Laufen in Germany.
The concept of the 16 bars was to reproduce the saltire shoulder flash of
the 51st Division and Jimmy Atkinson is on record as saying it was a
variation on the diagonal of Scottish Reform (see below). Although as John
Sturrock has said the original instructions that were sent back to Perth are
not easy to read, they clearly state:

13-14 First couple, second man and third lady balance in diagonal line
(Scottish Reform)

15-16 First couple turn left hand to second corners

17-20 First couple set and turn corners by right hand

21-22 First couple, third man and second lady balance in diagonal line
(Scottish Reform)

The rest of the dance was suggested by Lt Peter Oliver of the Seaforths and
Lt Col Tom Harris Hunter of the 51st Division Logistics Group RASC. Tom
Harris Hunter was, both before and after the war, Chairman of the Perth &
Perthshire Branch of the (R)SCDS and it was to his wife that the original
version quoted from above was sent: she passed it on to Miss Milligan. In a
memorable interview a few years ago, Jimmy Atkinson relates going to Harris
Hunter for advice on the dance and tune because as a senior member of the
SCDS "he was the authority". I do not dispute that birling crept in some
variations but that is not how the dance was devised or intended.

There are several things to note in this description. It was a five couple
set. Tom Harris Hunter (and Perth & Perthshire Branch) never accepted the
change to a four couple set and the current Branch committee has just agreed
that we will include it in programmes this year (our 80th anniversary) in
five couple sets - Edinburgh are not the only ones who can have regional
variations :) The instructions clearly refer to ladies and the dance was
always intended as a standard social dance - the fact that it was danced by
10 men was an accident of the circumstances not a declaration of intent. The
involvement of Tom Harris Hunter also tends to counter the suggestion in
some parts that the setting during the balance in line should be done with
high cuts.

Jim Healy
Perth, Scotland
Martin

Martin

Jan. 17, 2005, 7:06 p.m. (Message 40333, in reply to message 40311)

Jim wrote:

>... several things to note in this description. It was a five couple set.

But why was it?
Has anyone an explanation for the 5-cp sets that were apparently part of
the Scottish tradition and which are still used I believe by reelers.
These dances were obviousl y notdesigned to be danced a la Black Mountain
reel (1st & 3rd cps dancing simultaneously), nor is 1st cp expected to
dance 3 times through, as far as I know.
So why?
Is it an echo of the old "longwise for as many as will" sets?
Or were there just 10 abled-bodied prisoners available at the outset?

Martin,
in Grenoble, France.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/scots.in.france/scd.htm
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

Jan. 17, 2005, 7:59 p.m. (Message 40334, in reply to message 40333)

Martin wrote:

> These dances were obviousl y notdesigned to be danced a la Black Mountain
> reel (1st & 3rd cps dancing simultaneously), nor is 1st cp expected to
> dance 3 times through, as far as I know.

Many three-couple dances can be straightforwardly adapted to 5-couple sets of
the Foss ?1s and 3s start? variety. This includes the Reel of the 51st, which
we have done in this fashion to great effect at demonstrations, or when only
5 couples have turned up for the night.

> So why?
> Is it an echo of the old "longwise for as many as will" sets?
> Or were there just 10 abled-bodied prisoners available at the outset?

No idea. As 5-couple dances of the ?1s and 3s? variety, which in themselves
are in a way a continuation of the ?longwise for as many as will? idea,
hadn't been invented yet, my guess would be that, having nothing better to do
with their time, the POWs tried to get as many people to join the dance as
would turn up for the practice sessions, i.e., your suggestion #2.

Anselm
Microsoft bought MS-DOS from a Seattle company, and it was called QDOS then
(Quick and Dirty Operating System). Some say it is not quick anymore, but the
rest stays the same.                                  -- Wilson Roberto Afonso
Edward Fryer

Edward Fryer

Jan. 18, 2005, 3:38 p.m. (Message 40335, in reply to message 40295)

Martin wrote:

>But why was it?
>Has anyone an explanation for the 5-cp sets that were apparently part of
>the Scottish tradition >and which are still used I believe by reelers.
>These dances were obviousl y notdesigned to be >danced a la Black Mountain
>reel (1st & 3rd cps dancing simultaneously), nor is 1st cp expected to
>dance 3 times through, as far as I know. So why? Is it an echo of the old
>"longwise for as many as >will" sets? Or were there just 10 abled-bodied
>prisoners available at the outset?

At all the reeling balls I go to, with a 5 couple set the 1st couple do
dance 3 times, and then dance doubles at the bottom with the 5th couple (if
they're comfortable with doing this - otherwise they just drop down).
However 5 couple sets are being supplanted by 6 couple sets, where the 1st
and 4th couples start, and the first couple dances through 4 times.