Chris Ronald

Re: Tandem Reels (was Re: Reels in Bishop of Columbus)

Aug. 8, 2011, 1:22 a.m. (Message 61706, in reply to message 61079)

Anselm wrote (a month ago!):

> commemorate the 10th anniversary, in 1992, of the RSCDS Sutton Coldfield
> branch. The late Barry Priddey was probably more timely about publishing
> his
> anniversary books than yours truly, so it is reasonable to assume that the
> book actually came out at around that time.
>
> »Pelorus Jack«, before the RSCDS picked it up for Book 41 in 2000, appeared
> in
> Barry Skelton's »Dolphin Book«, which is dated 1994 (along with a whole
> bunch
> of other dances featuring the same style of reel). With private publication
> of
> dance books being as Rod describes, and with Barry Priddey being based in
> the
> UK and Barry Skelton in New Zealand, it is not at all unlikely that we have
> case of »parallel invention« here, especially as it is impossible to say
> after
> the fact exactly when the two Barrys came up with the actual dances, as
> opposed to publishing the books. So, at least from the accessible evidence,
> personally would be hesitant about making statements like »These so-called
> first«.
>
> During the last month I have been too busy dancing to contribute much to
Strathspey.  So, sorry about the delay.  As Heiko mentioned, I did some
research on 'tandem/dolphin/falcon' reels and wrote it up in an annex to my
book: 12 Scottish Country Dances.  Shortly after completing that book, I met
Barry Skelton in New Zealand, and he agreed that Barry Priddey was the
originator of reels of three where 1st couple dance in tandem and change
lead at each end of the reel.

This doesn't mean I'm going to start calling them 'falcon reels'.  As a
teacher, the language I use is what I feel will most easily convey to a
group of dancers what I mean.  In this part of the US, this means that I
often say 'dolphin' reels.  There are some places in the UK where I might
say 'falcon', because that's the term dancers know best.

I taught a dance at TAC Summer School in Canada the week before last, and it
had one of 'those' reels in it. I started off being orthodox, and was
carefully showing and explaining how 1st couple dance in tandem and change
lead at each end, until someone said: "Oh, you mean dolphin reels!"
Chris, New York.