  • Alan Harrison

    Alan Harrison July 8, 2011, 1:22 p.m. (Message 61070)

    RE: Tandem Reels (was Re: Reels in Bishop of Columbus)

    Hi Lee and All,

    Yes me again.  Sounds like these derive from what would have at one
    time been considered "bad" dancing.  I can just see Miss Milligan's
    face if she had seen it from the stage at the Younger Hall!

    I guess they can be fun if done well but many new dances seem to be
    devised around a particular figure of this ilk.

    Best regards,
    Alan Harrison.
    RSCDS Leeds

     www.piper-alan.co.uk

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Lee Fuell [mailto:xxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx]
    Sent: 08 July 2011 11:44
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Subject: Tandem Reels (was Re: Reels in Bishop of Columbus)

    Re:

    -----Original Message-----

    don't see couples riding tandem bicycles getting off and changing
    seats every time the road curves.  Nor, to change the subject, have I
    ever understood the term "barn-door" turns for the figure in which one
    partner turns another person by right hand and the other partner turns
    another by the left hand.  Barn doors don't and can't revolve 360
    degrees.

    >Mike Briggs

    Yep - illogical!  That name assignment happened in 2005 when the RSCDS
    updated the manual.  Having published Pelorus Jack as an RSCDS dance,
    the Society seems to have decided they needed to name what I'd usually
    heard called "double switchback tandem reels" (two wordy) as simply
    "reel of three in tandem."  What I think of as a "tandem reel" is what
    we do in bars 9-16 and 17-24 of Ferla Mor - 1M following 1W throughout
    with no change of lead.  Had the RSCDS published Ferla Mor, I suspect
    we'd have gotten more logical formation names:  "Reel of three in
    tandem" being what we do in Ferla Mor, and "reel of three in tandem
    with change of lead" for Pelorus Jack.

    "Shadow reels" is a new term for me; it's certainly not in the RSCDS
    lexicon (but neither are the more commonly used "mirror reels" a.k.a.
    "reflection reels").

    Lee

    Beavercreek, OH, USA