  • RODERICK JOHNSTON

    RODERICK JOHNSTON Aug. 8, 2008, 7:11 p.m. (Message 53354)

    Re: Scottish bagpipes?

    I didn't see the opening but I do know that there was an article in
    the Scottish press stating that a small pipe band from the NE of
    Scotland had been invited to play at the opening ceremony.  It had
    been kept very secrect.
    Rod Johnston
    Fort William

    ----- Original Message ----
    From: "xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx" <xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx>
    To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx
    Sent: Friday, 8 August, 2008 5:38:04 PM
    Subject: Scottish bagpipes?

    I have been watching the opening ceremony from Beijing (the Chinese
    ceretainly know how to organize things -- wow! or "chapeau bas!", as we
    say) during which I heard plenty of bagpipe music, but did not see a
    single kilted musician. Was it my imagination, or did anyone else hear
    Scottish music and get to see who was playing, in particular, during
    the entry of the innumerable competing teams (I did not even know some
    of those countries existed!)?

    I'm not normally a sport spectator, and did have a sneaky feeling that
    I ought not to be watching, what with all the commercialization, the
    dope, and the human rights business, but somehow I found this world
    event very moving.

    Martin (whose excuse for watching TV in the daytime, was that the
    outside thermometer was showing 38°c !)