UP with A&R

ron.mackey

May 9, 2007, 1:51 a.m. (Message 48688)

I'm quite amazed by this.  When I learned dancing it was one
of the regular drills during step practise so that once we had got used
to it there was no problem at all.  It is all a matter of balance and
rhythm and as that is the basis of all good dancing, what's the
problem?  Done well it can be an elegant figure.
	I have noticed that those who love to travel unnecessarily
large distances to do any dance are inevitably awkward in A & R
because they can't pull back on their balance.   If you do what we
rarely hear of today, that is keep the line of head, hips and heels
there's no difficulty.
	I've just done Bob Campbell's 'My Friend Joe' with a group of
non-experts and once they'd had a bit of practise they made the one-
step A & R look very good.
Martin

Martin

May 9, 2007, 9:39 a.m. (Message 48692, in reply to message 48688)

Le 9 mai 07 à 01h51, xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx a écrit :

> (...) they made the one-step A & R look very good.

In strathspey time, I presume; yes, that's fine. It's the quicktime
dances that are spoilt by A&R (shuffling because you often have
nowhere to advance to without treading on your pt's toes).

I say spoilt, because the figure breaks the momentum of good jigs and
reels.

Perhaps a solution would be to drop hands and turn A&R into siding (a
la ECD), going shoulder to shoulder with your pt, rather than face to
face ?

Martin
ron.mackey

ron.mackey

May 9, 2007, 11:50 p.m. (Message 48710, in reply to message 48692)

> In strathspey time, I presume; yes, that's fine. It's the quicktime
> dances that are spoilt by A&R (shuffling because you often have
> nowhere to advance to without treading on your pt's toes).
>
> I say spoilt, because the figure breaks the momentum of good jigs and
> reels.
	Hi, Martin,
	Again I'm puzzled.  Were you not taught how to dance small
for the sake of good phrasing?   :~)    Of course I understand you have
said you don't like to slow in the Schiehallion reels.  To me, dancing
all one pace takes half the pleasure out of the dance with the lack of
subtle phrasing.  That's why I pass LSh in Marie's Wedding.:~) ^^

	Regards,  Ron
Sophie Rickebusch

Sophie Rickebusch

May 9, 2007, 11:01 a.m. (Message 48695, in reply to message 48688)

I agree with Ron, this can be quite an elegant figure - I wouldn't say it's my
favourite (can't be compared to a strathspey poussette for instance), but it's
ok. I think part of the problem is too-narrow sets (one of my pet hates!) OK,
sometimes you're on in a crowded ballroom and you have to adapt (not just for A
& R either), but why do people still stand about 1m 20 apart when it isn't
crowded? Maybe because, as someone said, they only have one length of step -
medium?

I like to travel large distances (e.g. in down the middle & up), but one of the
things that makes SCD interesting is light and shade, varying your steps (or the
length of your arms for turns) to be just in the right place at the right
moment. When figures are done in harmony with the rest of the set and each
figure flows seamlessly into the next, it's just such a perfect moment, well
worth any amount of work on steps etc.!

Sophie

Selon xxx.xxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx.xxx:

--
Sophie Rickebusch
FR - St Martin d'Heres

Martin

May 9, 2007, 1:29 p.m. (Message 48701, in reply to message 48695)

Le 9 mai 07 à 11h01, Sophie Rickebusch a écrit :

> (...) one of the
> things that makes SCD interesting is light and shade, varying your
> steps

Whether your lines are 1m apart or 3m, you'll get light and shade (or
drive and dribble, as you wish).

Two steps to cross to opposite side cannot be performed in the same
way as two to approach the centre line as in A&R, or to retire as
after poussette or allemande.
It's not a question of size of set.

Martin
Sophie Rickebusch

Sophie Rickebusch

May 9, 2007, 2:44 p.m. (Message 48704, in reply to message 48701)

The difference is that with a decent-sized set, you get long and short steps
(light and shade), whereas with a tiny set, you get short steps and on the spot
dithering (or dribble)... so yes, size does matter!

Most dancers can cross 3 m in 2 skip-change of step and fit them into half that
distance, but if the set is 1.5 m wide to start with, then you're stuck with
trying to fit 2 steps into .75 m. With my size 7s, that's about 3 lengths of
foot (even on the balls of the feet and with my best turnout), so it's
physically impossible to do hop-step-close-step twice, even if I only "step" to
just in front of the toes of the supporting foot.

Sophie

--
Sophie Rickebusch
FR - St Martin d'Heres

Thomas G. Mungall, III

May 9, 2007, 9:49 p.m. (Message 48709, in reply to message 48701)

IMHO I think it sometimes depends on the type of set. It works quite well in
Barry Priddey's "Woodland Assembly" where the dance is done in a square or
quadrille set. Quite a few of the old country dances (American & English) as
well as Irish set dances use advance & retire as a staple.

Tom Mungall
Baton Rouge, La, USA
Anselm Lingnau

Anselm Lingnau

May 14, 2007, 1:23 a.m. (Message 48750, in reply to message 48688)

Ron Mackey wrote:

> 	I'm quite amazed by this.  When I learned dancing it was one
> of the regular drills during step practise so that once we had got used
> to it there was no problem at all.  It is all a matter of balance and
> rhythm and as that is the basis of all good dancing, what's the
> problem?  Done well it can be an elegant figure.

I must say I'm with Ron here. Also I don't see why advancing and retiring pas
de basque are necessarily preferable to skip-change-of-step -- and as I'm
about 6'5" I ought to know all about doing small steps in a narrow set!

When I started out with SCD I tended to retire in pas de basque rather than
skip-change but this problem was easy to deal with once the teacher at a
weekend workshop told us to emphasise the hop at the beginning of the
retiring skip-change of step, which makes it impossible to continue into a
pas de basque. This is what I teach my class these days and it works well.

Anselm
There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence.
                                                                -- Henry Adams