Anselm Lingnau

Re: UP with A&R

May 14, 2007, 1:23 a.m. (Message 48750, in reply to message 48688)

Ron Mackey wrote:

> 	I'm quite amazed by this.  When I learned dancing it was one
> of the regular drills during step practise so that once we had got used
> to it there was no problem at all.  It is all a matter of balance and
> rhythm and as that is the basis of all good dancing, what's the
> problem?  Done well it can be an elegant figure.

I must say I'm with Ron here. Also I don't see why advancing and retiring pas
de basque are necessarily preferable to skip-change-of-step -- and as I'm
about 6'5" I ought to know all about doing small steps in a narrow set!

When I started out with SCD I tended to retire in pas de basque rather than
skip-change but this problem was easy to deal with once the teacher at a
weekend workshop told us to emphasise the hop at the beginning of the
retiring skip-change of step, which makes it impossible to continue into a
pas de basque. This is what I teach my class these days and it works well.

Anselm
There is no such thing as an underestimate of average intelligence.
                                                                -- Henry Adams